Spawn Only Rare Weapons in Hall of Blades

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 6th February 2016, 22:30

Spawn Only Rare Weapons in Hall of Blades

Currently, as I understand it, only two of the twelve or so weapons in the Hall of Blades are guaranteed to be rare. I propose that all weapons inside the Hall be rare. The weapons outside the runed doors ought to stay as they are. This makes the Hall more interesting and also increases the chance that these rare weapons will spawn in a given game.

The 10 rare weapons are quickblade, demon blade, double sword, triple sword, executioner's axe, demon whip, eveningstar, demon trident, bardiche, and lajatang. These all occupy the top tier of different niches: 1h vs 2h, fast vs. high damage, in the various skills. Since they are rare, a player can for instance be using a great sword and hoping for a triple sword, but never find it. For example, I've only seen a double sword a handful of times total and I've been playing since 0.15. In the proposed Hall, instead of a 0.9^2 = 81% chance that the Hall won't have what you want, 1-0.9^12 is a 72% chance that you will get what you want. There are always scrolls of acquirement, of course, but this sort of Hall might permit the player save the scroll for something else and it could be an interesting choice to weapon acquire now or wait until one is strong enough to tackle the Hall.

This also addresses the problem that the Hall is boring. You almost never find a weapon worth keeping, by the stage in the game that you get to it. This in turn often leads to not opening it at all. The proposed Hall becomes riskier, but it also has a reward more commensurate with that risk. If 12 rare dancing weapons is deemed too tough, throw in one or two guaranteed scrolls of brand weapon to balance it, or just say that no one is forced to open the door.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 6th February 2016, 23:44

Re: Spawn Only Rare Weapons in Hall of Blades

The problem with Hall is, if I'm strong enough to put down those weapons in melee, I don't need a better weapon.
Pure melee builds (trog et all) have free weapon aquirements anyway.

IMO there should be a semi-guaranteed source of slaying in the game (Hall?), to make ANY weapon sorta usable.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th February 2016, 23:47

aren't rare weapons supposed to be rare?

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
dynast, nago, Sar

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 7th February 2016, 00:07

Counterproposal: now that dancing weapons appear throughout elf, remove Hall of Blades and simply guarantee the top tier dancing weapons that generated there in the Elf:$ vault. I'd cut Elf:2 entirely, if not Elf:1 as well.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 6
all before, dynast, Lasty, nago, Tiktacy, ydeve

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 7th February 2016, 02:30

I usually don't open the Hall of Blades.

However, If I do, I am often always playing a primary melee char who still has a shitty weapon. I'm underleveled, and I am desperate for something. Occasionally hitting up the hall of blades pays off. It is nearly always very dangerous, and I'll sneak around with invis trying to get a look for a good weapon.

It is quite a fun mini-challenge in such scenarios. I appreciate the HoB.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 7th February 2016, 21:57

Split off the more general discussion about HoB difficulty to Advice.

Return to Game Design Discussion