FR: Cleaving description

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 10th February 2016, 01:14

FR: Cleaving description

When viewing an axe, the description of cleaving should indicate that it does less damage to all monsters except the one you target.

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, ZipZipskins

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 10th February 2016, 02:10

Re: FR: Cleaving description

This would be really easy for you do by submitting a pull request using the github UI. Just search the crawl repository for "hit multiple enemies" to find the relevant file.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th February 2016, 04:00

I thought that wasn't true any more... I can confirm / deny that vague recollection when I get home (if someone else doesn't bear me to it)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 11th February 2016, 13:37

I would like it better if axes do the same damage to every enemy around the character.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks:
duvessa

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 11th February 2016, 13:41

I liked when they didn't hit the last dude. What if they did equal damage but didn't hit 1-3 guys "behind" you? If that's bad, the damage can be adjusted.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 12th February 2016, 14:48

even if they hit everything around for 100% damage axes would still suck compared to m&f and long blades. theres no incentive to play axes on anything thats not 40+ ac, no magic, melee combat monster. Most species have got shit apt for axes, and those that dont are already shoehorned into playing straight melee (but muh HOFe...)
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 12th February 2016, 15:59

kroki wrote:even if they hit everything around for 100% damage axes would still suck compared to m&f and long blades. theres no incentive to play axes on anything thats not 40+ ac, no magic, melee combat monster. Most species have got shit apt for axes, and those that dont are already shoehorned into playing straight melee (but muh HOFe...)

Man I dunno where you got this but you're pretty much incorrect. Axes are very slightly worse than M&F and Lbl. I know it's tavern tradition to blow even the tiniest imbalance massively out of proportion, but come on. And many races have perfectly fine axe apts, and many of those are perfectly good at magic. HO, the race you so casually dismissed, might be the overall best caster race in the game, maybe tied with Dr.

For this message the author ontoclasm has received thanks:
Shard1697

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 15th February 2016, 04:14

Hill orcs aren't really shoehorned into playing straight melee at all, they can use buff spells like spectral weapon/repel/ozo's, summons, etc. just fine. And that's assuming spells to complement melee, they're not horrible with damage spells either.

Return to Game Design Discussion