Please place runed doors on slime subvaults after TRJ dies

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 26th January 2016, 15:54

Please place runed doors on slime subvaults after TRJ dies

See title
Requiring digging to get a rune is pretty pointless
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 9
Airwolf, archaeo, duvessa, dynast, nago, Shard1697, Tiktacy, WingedEspeon, xentronium

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 26th January 2016, 18:38

Re: Please place runed doors on slime subvaults after TRJ di

How about making all the stone walls sealed doors instead, with the sealing rune permanently maintained by TRJ? It's vulnerable to LRD but not disint/digging. Slime pit vaults just happen to pre-date vault wardens. This does not necessarily have to have an effect on jiyva worshippers and on what happens when TRJ is banished. Jiyva can destroy the doors instead of opening them, and TRJ can continue sealing remotely, if this is desirable.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 26th January 2016, 19:56

I literally can't think of a single good argument for requiring digging to get the rune. Anecdotes about Ru worshipers luring deep troll earth mages to slime pits are funny to hear about but sound annoying in practice, and most of the time you either have a wand of digging on you (so needing it isn't interesting) or have one lying around somewhere that you have to go get (which is not interesting).

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks:
WingedEspeon

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 26th January 2016, 22:34

Quazifuji wrote:I literally can't think of a single good argument for requiring digging to get the rune. Anecdotes about Ru worshipers luring deep troll earth mages to slime pits are funny to hear about but sound annoying in practice, and most of the time you either have a wand of digging on you (so needing it isn't interesting) or have one lying around somewhere that you have to go get (which is not interesting).

Why the hell ... Look, the easiest way to get in there with no digging or disintegration is to just be careful not to tab through the Eyes of devastation. If you do kill them, use a summoning scroll.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 26th January 2016, 23:05

Hurricos wrote:Why the hell ... Look, the easiest way to get in there with no digging or disintegration is to just be careful not to tab through the Eyes of devastation. If you do kill them, use a summoning scroll.

While tricks like this are cute, it still doesn't really justify requiring the player to break into the vault.

Honestly, now that slimes can't even eat loot the player has seen, the game could just remove the walls altogether after TRJ dies like what happens when you get 6* with Jiyva. I guess that this would be tricky if the player kills TRJ at the stairs and doesn't get a chance to see the loot?

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 2
nago, neil

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 26th January 2016, 23:12

Slimes dont eat loot anymore period.
You shall never see my color again.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 26th January 2016, 23:52

dynast wrote:Slimes dont eat loot anymore period.

Most Js (jellies, azure jellies, death oozes, acid blobs, TRJ, and Dissolution) do still eat items that you have never seen (which can include items at the bottom of a never-stepped-on pile even in LOS, but that's not relevant to Slime:6 since it doesn't place piles).

Or perhaps you were being pedantic and taking "slime" to mean "slime creature".

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 27th January 2016, 03:52

I honest to god did have to lure a Deep Troll once. It was weirdly satisfying in the most mind numbingly tedious way possible.

And yet I hate spriggans and mummies...
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 27th January 2016, 11:41

neil wrote:
dynast wrote:Slimes dont eat loot anymore period.

Most Js (jellies, azure jellies, death oozes, acid blobs, TRJ, and Dissolution) do still eat items that you have never seen (which can include items at the bottom of a never-stepped-on pile even in LOS, but that's not relevant to Slime:6 since it doesn't place piles).

Im pretty sure they dont anymore, or they dont multiply when they do, or they dont make slurping noises which is noticeable when you worship qaz. I couldnt find any commit so i might be wrong.
You shall never see my color again.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 27th January 2016, 12:29

TeshiAlair wrote:I honest to god did have to lure a Deep Troll once. It was weirdly satisfying in the most mind numbingly tedious way possible.

And yet I hate spriggans and mummies...

Me too, he almost killed himself a bunch of times because of automatic Ru retaliation..I had to keep parking him on the upstairs and letting him heal.
Comborobin Admin

Return to Game Design Discussion