Abusable reaching bug?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 9th September 2011, 13:47

Abusable reaching bug?

When granite statues stand between me and an enemy I'd like to hit with my weapon of reaching, hitting "v" to reach and attack gives me an error that reads, "All monsters which could be auto-targeted are covered by a wall or statue which interrupts your line of fire, even though it doesn't interrupt your line of sight." I am selected as the target, but I can manually change the target to the enemy. And I can successfully kill the enemy on the other side of the statues.

Is this intended?

It seems like either:
1)I'm not supposed to be able to hit things through the statues, which means the error message is correct and the behavior is wrong.
2)I am supposed to be able to hit things through the statues, which means the behavior is correct and the error message is wrong.

I'm playing Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.10-a0-602-g0167331 on CAO.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2011-09-09 at 9.40.32 AM.png
Screenshot of reaching through statues
Screen Shot 2011-09-09 at 9.40.32 AM.png (119.47 KiB) Viewed 838 times

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 9th September 2011, 14:36

Re: Abusable reaching bug?

It does make sense since you can reach past monsters. And from the code comments, it's also intentional. There is a targeting bug though.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Game Design Discussion