Ogre Transmuter/Chemist: Making Ogre Packs Less Repetitive

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 12th December 2015, 17:17

Ogre Transmuter/Chemist: Making Ogre Packs Less Repetitive

Ogre Transmuter:

A powerful ogre whom has ascended past your every day thick headed brute. Extremely talented in the realm of science, Ogre Transmuters are capable of mutating their Ogre brethren into powerful and even deadly creatures. In addition to this, they can also summon hideous monsters to fight on their behalf and they are even capable of transmuting the player themself!

AC: Low
EV: Low
MR: very resistant

He can see invisibility(through his mad scientist glasses)

He has mastered the following spells:

a - Summon greater ugly things
b - malmutate

Has the following abilities:

a - Transmutation Burst: This is the ogres main new spell that allows him to blow up 1 of his mutation potions(Smite targeted 3x3 effect that also creates mutagenic clouds, life freezing cloud) he carries with him to then transmute any ogres(or the player) into one of the following things or apply one of the following effects;

For ogres: Dragon form(acts similarly to dragon for a player except permanent), weapon form(a new form in which they merge with their weapon and become a flying weapon, permanent), Permanent abomination form(they become a large abomination permanently), Permanent shapeshifter form(they become a shapeshifter forever).

For the player: Sheep form, ogre form(turns them into an ogre, still can't wield giant clubs and armor is removed accordingly), spider form, bat form, tree form, snail form(turn into a snail).

b - Drink potion of mutation: This is used when all the ogres in sight have been killed and turns the ogre mad scientist into either a dragon(70% of the time) or on occasionally into a snail or sheep(you can't expect every made scientist to be a genius can you?)

AI NOTES: The ogre is heavily weighted towards using transmutation burst when possible. Also, the monster doesn't need to 'use' the potions of mutation, he can simply drop a number of them on death to simulate that effect.

Thematically, Ogre Transmuters are mad scientists that create potions of mutation in order to mutate their brethren into various powerful forms. His main purpose however is to try and make packs of ogres less repetitive and more dangerous to players with high MR(which is not uncommon late in the game). These monsters are intended to be extremely dangerous and very common in ogre packs later in the vaults and in the depths.

This idea was inspired by a comment in dynasty's thread about how ogre packs become hack and slash late in the game(and this is intended to fix that problem).
Last edited by Tiktacy on Saturday, 12th December 2015, 19:43, edited 4 times in total.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 12th December 2015, 18:25

Re: Ogre Transmuter/Chemist: Making Ogre Packs Less Repetiti

This guy is super complex, has multiple obnoxious mechanics, and even then the thing that makes ogre packs less tab friendly is the fact that he has malmutate.

For this message the author milski has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 12th December 2015, 18:35

milski wrote:This guy is super complex, has multiple obnoxious mechanics, and even then the thing that makes ogre packs less tab friendly is the fact that he has malmutate.

I basically tacked on everything I could think of to make him a badass, but with that said I imagine that most of his abilities aside from his mutating ogre ability will see some serious changes if this was to ever make it into the game. Malmutate seems a little strange to have now that I think about it, but I will wait to change it until I get more input.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 12th December 2015, 19:15

You're proposing to introduce five new spells, an AI mechanic that doesn't exist anywhere else, 3 new player forms, and 5 new monsters, so that you can add...one new monster. Surely you aren't expecting people to take you seriously?

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 12th December 2015, 19:46

duvessa wrote:You're proposing to introduce five new spells, an AI mechanic that doesn't exist anywhere else, 3 new player forms, and 5 new monsters, so that you can add...one new monster. Surely you aren't expecting people to take you seriously?

Thank you for your constructive criticism. I've made some changes to make the monsters much easier to add.

The core concept is the same, but there are only 2 new forms being added(weapon form and dragon form) and 1 new form for players(ogre form). I'm pretty sure snail form already exists, but if it doesn't I can't imagine it would be that difficult to code. It would essentially be the same as bat mode except you go slow instead of fast and have higher armor instead of evasion.

Aside from dragon form, most of the coding can be copy pasted and the only thing you would need to add that is new is the text that describes what is happening("The ogre merges with its weapon!"). You were right about it being a lot, but hopefully these changes have improved it significantly.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
MrSkizzy

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 12th December 2015, 20:22

Ogre mages' only real purpose is to cast banishment or paralysis. There are a lot of other monsters that can do that and are not nearly as weak. Why not just not spawn them and their bands in depths at all?
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Lasty

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 12th December 2015, 20:29

tabstorm wrote:Ogre mages' only real purpose is to cast banishment or paralysis. There are a lot of other monsters that can do that and are not nearly as weak. Why not just not spawn them and their bands in depths at all?

This was my thought at first, but somebody in dynasts rant thread mentioned an interesting point about how having smaller challenges is sort of a requirement to make the larger challenges more exciting. Essentially, there needs to be these easily killable creatures to keep the game interesting. But, I figured maybe adding a new twist to it later on might mitigate the repetitive nature of ogre bands while not removing them from the equation entirely.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 13th December 2015, 01:11

Ogre Cinephile

Ogre Mage Ac/Ev
Replaces ogre bands in depths

Spells/Abilities:
a-Throw Popcorn: summons 2d4 ogres/two-headed ogres/ogre magi around the player, similar to haunt.
b-Inner Flame

For this message the author amaril has received thanks: 6
all before, archaeo, Arrhythmia, Lasty, Sar, Tiktacy

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 13th December 2015, 03:50

amaril wrote:Ogre Cinephile

Ogre Mage Ac/Ev
Replaces ogre bands in depths

Spells/Abilities:
a-Throw Popcorn: summons 2d4 ogres/two-headed ogres/ogre magi around the player, similar to haunt.
b-Inner Flame

This is beautiful.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 13th December 2015, 05:23

FR: Rod of Popcorn. Has one spell, Throw Popcorn (3MP), that spawns up to 3d5 Popcorns placed randomly in LOS. Popcorns are of the same genus as Death Cobs, but have the stats of a plain rat, are immobile, can't attack, always spawn neutral, and give no XP.

I actually think this could be a decent addition to the game.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 14th December 2015, 19:03

Isn't that just rod of immobile butterflies?

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 14th December 2015, 19:35

only in the sense that a butterfly is just a faster rat
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Return to Game Design Discussion