Announcing EV/AC gains

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th December 2015, 20:28

Announcing EV/AC gains

When you train Dodging, the relevant result is not when your Dodging skill reaches some level but rather when you gain a point of EV. Almost likewise for Armour skill and AC, except that Armour skill has other effects too. If you're going to train something else next, you often want to make the switch right after you gained a point.

So would it be possible to let the player know when they gained a point of EV from Dodging / AC from Armour? Of course you see your EV and AC on the screen, but at least I'm not always sure whether I just got more EV or not. AC is easier, because it's quite simple to calculate when you get more AC, if you're unsure.

A simple message like "You gained a point of EV" or "Your EV increased" would do, if it's technically straightforward to implement?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 6
Aethrus, all before, chequers, dracos369, duvessa, ydeve

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 7th December 2015, 23:25

Re: Announcing EV/AC gains

better than that, you should be able (possible from a submenu of the skills menu) see all of the AC/EV splitpoints for your character relative to your Dodging/Armor future values given your currently worn equipment. That would be super-useful. I'd know that if I just trained another .1 of Armor, I'd get 1 more point of AC, and similarly it would be nice to know that it's gunna take 5 more points of dodging to see that next increase in EV.

For this message the author Moose has received thanks: 2
dracos369, WalkerBoh

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 9th December 2015, 18:49

Naive question: wouldn't it be possible to smooth the values of AC/EV for all practical calculations (say to the first decimal, like skills), so that these threshold effects become irrelevant?

For this message the author ventricule has received thanks:
Rast

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 19th December 2015, 18:01

ventricule wrote:Naive question: wouldn't it be possible to smooth the values of AC/EV for all practical calculations (say to the first decimal, like skills), so that these threshold effects become irrelevant?

It seems like it'd be unfortunate for "15 EV" and "15 EV" to have different gameplay effects, depending on a hidden decimal.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 19th December 2015, 19:57

Would it be hard to display that decimal?

For this message the author ydeve has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Rast

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 19th December 2015, 22:44

PleasingFungus wrote:
ventricule wrote:Naive question: wouldn't it be possible to smooth the values of AC/EV for all practical calculations (say to the first decimal, like skills), so that these threshold effects become irrelevant?

It seems like it'd be unfortunate for "15 EV" and "15 EV" to have different gameplay effects, depending on a hidden decimal.
"15.1 Staves" and "15.1 Staves" have different gameplay effects, depending on a hidden decimal.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 19th December 2015, 23:57

Sadly, a change to Dex/Encumberance could throw everything for a loop all over again, so I'm not sure it would end up being all that helpful in the long run... But announcing the new EV point seems like it would be easy to code, and it probably would actually be pretty helpful.
"This spell will have no effect right now because your brain is too dead to use."

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 20th December 2015, 07:36

duvessa wrote:
PleasingFungus wrote:

"15.1 Staves" and "15.1 Staves" have different gameplay effects, depending on a hidden decimal.

Yeah, but this difference is 10X worse.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th December 2015, 07:39

Since when is a 1 EV difference actually noticeable in-game? Other than the one between 0 and 1 EV, I suppose.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 20th December 2015, 07:56

duvessa wrote:Since when is a 1 EV difference actually noticeable in-game? Other than the one between 0 and 1 EV, I suppose.

Since when is a 0.1 staves difference actually noticeable in-game?
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th December 2015, 09:04

Arrhythmia wrote:
duvessa wrote:Since when is a 1 EV difference actually noticeable in-game? Other than the one between 0 and 1 EV, I suppose.

Since when is a 0.1 staves difference actually noticeable in-game?
Yeah, that's my entire point...if the 15.1 staves difference doesn't matter, why does the 15 EV difference matter? Other examples: spell success, MR.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 20th December 2015, 09:11

It doesn't but it's a bad precedent to follow.

e: please use ideas to communicate in the future again instead of bullshit cryptic minmayisms
take it easy

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 21st December 2015, 07:18

PleasingFungus wrote:

ydeve wrote:Would it be hard to display that decimal?

Exactly, display that decimal so you can see you have 19.6 AC and 15.1 EV.

Strength, intelligence, and dexterity are primary stats. They only get modified discreetly. There is never any rounding used to determine your primary stats.

Your derived defensive stats are different. They are a function of armor properties, stats, size, skilling, etc. So there is heavy rounding involved in determining them. The AC/EV granularity is coarse enough for people like Sprucery and Moose to get worked up over skilling breakpoints. I don't see people worrying over fighting skill breakpoints and how much more fighting you need to get 1 more max HP, because granularity of max HP gains from fighting is finer. It's also hard to guess which armor is better when swapping between them to check out the AC/EV difference. Maybe with one armor you'll get an extra AC by training 0.1 more armor skill, and with another you'll get an extra AC by training 5 more armor skill. Figuring out EV breakpoints is even more complicated (calculating next AC breakpoint is easy) because EV uses not just 1 skill the way AC does (armor), but 2 skills (armor and dodging) plus 2 stats (strength and dexterity).

By smoothing the effective values of AC/EV and displaying them with one decimal place, you will:
  • make it plainly obvious that base AC is different from +X enchantments of AC (you apply an enchant scroll to your armor at 11 skill and your AC goes up by only 1, not 1.5)
  • make it easier to see the effect of stats and skills because it won't be muddied by rounding (you put on ring of +5 STR and your EV increases by 2.3)
  • make un-silly the silliness of auxiliary slot base AC adding to total armor base AC (boots might say: +0 armor of this type will give you 1.4 AC)
  • profit (not literally!)
Edit: and of course you will make announcing EV/AC gains unnecessary.
Last edited by HardboiledGargoyle on Monday, 21st December 2015, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author HardboiledGargoyle has received thanks: 8
Arrhythmia, byrel, duvessa, gamerkelb, nago, neil, Rast, Shard1697

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st December 2015, 07:23

HardboiledGargoyle wrote:I don't see people worrying over fighting skill breakpoints and how much more fighting you need to get 1 more max HP
I do this (also fighting skill gives max HP in intervals of 2 instead of 1 sometimes)

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 21st December 2015, 19:45

I don't know how easy this suggestion is to implement, but it would feel good. I don't enjoy either pulling up an AC calculator or just watching my AC like a hawk to know when I hit breakpoints. In fact, if I wasn't spoiled I'd assume that it was a continuous function that was simply rounded to the nearest integer.

Arrhythmia wrote:e: please use ideas to communicate in the future again instead of bullshit cryptic minmayisms

Unless there were massive edits, I don't really see any bullshit or crypticness... And I don't think calling what someone says 'bullshit' is helpful.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st December 2015, 20:38

byrel wrote:Unless there were massive edits
the only massive edit was to Arrhythmia's pride

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 21st December 2015, 22:51

Finding AC breakpoints isn't so bad as you take 22/(Base AC) to determine how often you gain a point of AC. Watching your skills like a hawk to find out when you hit the breakpoints is a pain though. EV gains are also a lot more complicated.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 22nd December 2015, 15:25

Purely theoretically, a game that expects me to calculate
  Code:
(trunc(skill/(22/n))+1)*22/n
should either be advertised as an educational game, or is doing something wrong.

Not all wrong things are high priorities to fix of course. But having to calculate a nasty formula to optimize skilling, with non-spoiled errors being the equivalent of 1-2 dungeon levels of XP isn't really great.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

For this message the author byrel has received thanks:
Rast

Return to Game Design Discussion