Tweak rod of clouds and wand of random effects

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 15th January 2016, 15:39

Tweak rod of clouds and wand of random effects

My proposal is to tweak the effects of rod of clouds and wand of random effects to be consistent with dragons call for good gods. Dragons call replaces the "evil" shadow dragons for good gods with the roughly equivalent storm dragons and the poisonous gold dragons with iron dragons for TSO. However, rod of clouds and wand of random effects become dangerouse to use for followers of the good goods because they might roll draining/clouds of negative energy. The good god conduct is already strict enough that this doesn't make their conduct more interesting.

Wand of random effects can remain forbidden by Zin as a chaotic item.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks: 5
byrel, dracos369, nago, Quazifuji, Sprucery

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 15th January 2016, 15:57

Re: Tweak rod of clouds and wand of random effects

IIRC Dith doesn't care if you summon a fire-breather, but does care if you get fire with these items. So that breaks the symmetry of how god adjust Dragon's Call.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 16th January 2016, 08:24

Dith preventing fire from these items would be a good complimentary change to this as it is pretty much the same thing happening.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
Remove food

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 16th January 2016, 10:06

Are there any similar case of a random effect being forbidden by a god besides good gods and Dith? If so, I'd give them the same treatment. I think gods suppressing random effects that they don't like is a much better policy than them forbidding random effects just in case they produce something they don't like. Although either is obviously better than a mix of both depending on the god and the effect.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 16th January 2016, 11:23

Trog prevents rod of shadows from summoning spellcasters AFAIK.
You shall never see my color again.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 17th January 2016, 01:40

Chei doesn't like random effects because of haste off the top of my head. Suppressing haste from /random effects does make the wand stronger for chei worshipers but chei worshipers are either strong enough not to bother with the random wand or really weak and could use some love.
Remove food

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 17th January 2016, 23:15

dynast wrote:Trog prevents rod of shadows from summoning spellcasters AFAIK.

In my still ongoing DDBe game, rod of shadows produced an ogre mage which got "angered by your magic hating god", so, yeah, he doesen't.
Memento mori

Return to Game Design Discussion