Remove Rod of the Swarm

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 6th December 2015, 20:43

Remove Rod of the Swarm

It feels redundant with the Sack of Spiders; which is a significantly better item. Additionally it feels redundant with the Rod of Shadows, which is -also- a significantly better item. Rod of Shadows and Sack of Spiders are different enough that both can easily exist; but the Rod of the Swarm just feels like a redundant and weak (for a rod) item.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, Bart, chequers, nago

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 7th December 2015, 07:22

Re: Remove Rod of the Swarm

Rod of the Swarm can summon hornets and yellow bees that slows and paralyzes enemies. I like paralyze-stabbing!

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 7th December 2015, 12:26

I am confused that you are comparing rod of the swarm to sack of spiders. Sure sack of spiders is stronger than rod of the swarm. It also is stronger than most other items in the game.

I am also surprised that you feel it is redundant with anything. In my view swarm is one of the most unique spells in the game. No other summon makes a large amount of fast middling strength monsters.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 7th December 2015, 12:45

The rod of the swarm does not scale at all, which isn't a good feature. If you get it early, it's absolutely overpowered. If you get it late, it hardly does anything. If you make it scale with power, you get sack of spiders.

For this message the author Bart has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 7th December 2015, 14:29

Yeah but sack of spiders is limited and can fail while rod of swarm is rechargable.
You shall never see my color again.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 7th December 2015, 15:48

The real issue is that none of the cool, high powered insects get added to the swarm at higher levels of Evocation. If I could get queen bees and death scarabs (as well as the new spark wasps), I would totally use it more often. Otherwise, it can't compete with shadows/acid clouds/a literal shotgun.

For this message the author Floodkiller has received thanks: 2
archaeo, johlstei

Barkeep

Post Monday, 7th December 2015, 16:14

Bart wrote:If you make it scale with power, you get sack of spiders.

Except for being rechargeable, not webbing monsters, and generating things that aren't spiders.

But other than that, yeah it would be the same.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 8th December 2015, 03:27

njvack wrote:
Bart wrote:If you make it scale with power, you get sack of spiders.

Except for being rechargeable, not webbing monsters, and generating things that aren't spiders.

But other than that, yeah it would be the same.

Ants are spiders now? Because you totally get worker ants from the sack at low evo.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 8th December 2015, 05:43

I've never understood this argument. Rod of shadows is based on your floor and often restricted in usefulness as a result. Additionally, the summons hardly last any time at all. Sack of spiders is obviously stronger at max evo but is charge based and thus somewhat restricted on how many times it can be used.

Neither of them summon a large amount of fast insects, which do provide an array of usefulness; popcorn for LoS and movement blocking, venom monsters to poison, and wasps that apply slows and paraylsis. One of the big benefits of rod of the swarms is that the units it summons last a long ass time, sometimes longer than it takes the rod to recharge.

Rod of the swarm is more than different enough from Shadows and sack of spiders to merit its existence.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th December 2015, 06:22

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th December 2015, 06:32

It's easy to be confused though, because the spell Shadow Creatures is based on the current level. In fact, I think the Rod of Shadows should be renamed; how about naming it the Rod of Summoning?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, nago, Sar

Return to Game Design Discussion