give players control over Jiyva stat shuffling - chaotically

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 4th December 2015, 20:55

give players control over Jiyva stat shuffling - chaotically

Jiyva’s stat shuffling tends to be very biased. It can easily give you stats you don’t need, endanger you to collapse, etc. At the same time it is deterministic and can be gamed through equipment selection and skilling. It feels like a remnant from the skillpool era and does not belong in Modern Crawl.

Proposed ****** ability: Focus Attribute - Choose a stat to increase by several points. Another stat is randomly selected and decreased by the same amount. (Alternatively, make it do 1 point at a time and lower the cost.) See? It can remain chaotic while it's manual! Cost should be similar to removing a bad mutation.

Stat shuffling is SUPPOSED TO HELP YOU get your stats to the set that YOU WANT.

That is how it is designed and calibrated, right now.

Stat shuffling is not meant to be a difficult conduct Jiyva followers must bow to, so it should not act like one.

Jiyva mutations are not customized to suit your character, so this logic does not apply to them.

If this were to go through, you’d want to change Jiyva’s passive stat shuffling – at least make it less aggressive – or else players will keep spamming this ability if and only if their opinion of ideal stats differs from Jiyva’s.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 4th December 2015, 21:04

Re: give players control over Jiyva stat shuffling - chaotic

But would you remove stat shuffling to implement that? Since otherwise you would never use it or use it all the time because clearly you have disagrement with jiyva.

IMO stat shuffling should be completely chaotic and not based off skilling.
You shall never see my color again.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 4th December 2015, 21:10

I simply submit to the implicit purpose of current stat shuffling.
dynast wrote:But would you remove stat shuffling to implement that?

Well, maybe. Or make it completely unweighted. Or, as I said, less aggressive, for the same reason you pointed out.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 5th December 2015, 08:01

dynast wrote:But would you remove stat shuffling to implement that? Since otherwise you would never use it or use it all the time because clearly you have disagrement with jiyva.

IMO stat shuffling should be completely chaotic and not based off skilling.

Well, but a completely chaotic stat shuffle should over time result in little or no change, I think what was originally intended here was that you are slowly changing your body (oozing into a different shape)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Game Design Discussion