What if Blowguns used a Breath Timer?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 1st December 2015, 11:12

What if Blowguns used a Breath Timer?

I'm not necessarily saying they should just, with decent throwing investment a Needle of Paralysis is easily the strongest single item in the game. Moving from 60% chance to paralyze a hell lord (and you have 8 chances in a row with your needle stack) to 60% chance to paralyze a hell lord (and you have to wait 8-10 turns to try again) is a HUGE change. I think this move could make Curare and general -good- needles more balanced; but I'm not sure it's the right move. I will note doing this would make normal Poison needles too weak, so compensate by making the amount of poison stacks they give on hit a little higher.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 1st December 2015, 11:45

Re: What if Blowguns used a Breath Timer?

I would rather propose to make blowguns and entirely separated skill, since what makes blowguns good is the fact that you get them for free by simply training throwing and using more damage oriented ammo. Its like training long blades for triple swords and getting max stab damage.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks:
all before

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st December 2015, 12:00

Blowguns had their own skill until 0.6 (also hand crossbows and the Darts skill were removed in that version).
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
dynast

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 1st December 2015, 12:44

There's no guarantee you get a supply of throwing weapons OR special needles unless you follow Trog or Oka, so I don't think blowguns need a such nerf.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd December 2015, 01:10

If blowguns use the breath timer, that means that normal use with standard poison needles will involve a dozen or so turns of kiting for every single needle. I'd really rather this not be the case.

I don't really put much weight on the impact a particular ability has on optional post-game boss fights.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 5th December 2015, 13:15

Does throwing skill (or needle type, or gun enchantment, or anything else) impact how long the breath timer is?

Return to Game Design Discussion