Enemies using spells in a chain

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 30th November 2015, 13:55

Enemies using spells in a chain

The situation
A) An orc priest comes into view. Consecutive turns: multiple smites.
B) A hellion comes into view. Consecutive turns: multiple hellfires.
C) A deep elf annihilator comes into view. Multiple LCS.
D) An orb of fire comes into view. Multiple fireballs.
E) In general, monster can perform the same actions multiple times in a row, which leads to silly encounters.

An impact
+ More interesting combat which increases replayability
+/- Player has to remain cautious and focused all the time even if mentioned creature is normally trivial to kill
- Results from the same combat can vary between "was there a monster?" to "why am I dead?"
- Game can end abruptly without mistake from player's side. Engangement transforms into hatred.

Change?
I think a change is desirable. Monsters should have timeouts on skills; perhaps not a straight limit of casts, but rather a chance of consecutive casts quickly decreasing to zero (e.g. after three casts).

I'm curious about your thoughts.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 30th November 2015, 14:42

Re: Enemies using spells in a chain

annihilator is not fast so he cant multiple LCS. everything else is easy to sustain with our hp alone by the time you meet those creatures. Except for the orc priest, of course.
You shall never see my color again.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 30th November 2015, 14:52

It would make the game a bit boring, I guess
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 30th November 2015, 15:07

dynast wrote:annihilator is not fast so he cant multiple LCS. everything else is easy to sustain with our hp alone by the time you meet those creatures. Except for the orc priest, of course.

I'm too lazy to check code, so from wiki:
Hellion, speed 12, max 45 damage from hellfire.
Orb of fire, speed 15, max 129 damage from fireball.
Deep elf annihilator, speed 10, 102 damage from LCS. Replace with sorcerer if you want instead unpreventable hellfire damage + haste.

HPs are not enough to sustain fight with these monsters, although they greatly help to disengage from combat before character is dead... except it's easy to say. Optimal play would require disengaging from 90% of these fights, because the monster can potentially kill you in two turns or even one after you get hit for the first time.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 30th November 2015, 15:16

I have yet to get killed by a single "any type of sorcerer" from this game on 2 or 3 turns. And i dont call myself a optimal player. I think the fastest death to a annihilator i had was 4 turns on a TeNe where i decided to do early elven halls in which case i dont see how it was not my fault that i decided to engage a annihilator with half my HP and missed 4 bolts of draining before taking a LCS that took 95% of my HP and didnt train fighting the whole game.

This is a game that allows players to defy odds or respect them, be picking a combo and skilling accordingly.

Some days ago my friend had played spelunky and was ranting about how a trap triggered and made the shop keeper come after him with his shotgun and all i could say was "shouldnt have triggered the trap". The player should account for his mistakes/decisions.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th November 2015, 17:38

Bart wrote:E) In general, monster can perform the same actions multiple times in a row, which leads to silly encounters.
Aside from the fact that monsters casting multiple spells in a row is rare in the first place: why is it silly? Is it silly when a rat moves towards you multiple times in a row, or a spiny frog attacks you in melee multiple times a row? I can't see this as anything other than a complete non-issue. And any mechanic that makes monsters' actions dependent on their previous actions is going to increase the player's cognitive load, not decrease it; now they have to keep track of monsters' previous actions!

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 6
Bart, nago, Sar, Sprucery, tedric, WingedEspeon

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 3rd December 2015, 15:53

duvessa wrote:
Bart wrote:E) In general, monster can perform the same actions multiple times in a row, which leads to silly encounters.
Aside from the fact that monsters casting multiple spells in a row is rare in the first place: why is it silly? Is it silly when a rat moves towards you multiple times in a row, or a spiny frog attacks you in melee multiple times a row? I can't see this as anything other than a complete non-issue. And any mechanic that makes monsters' actions dependent on their previous actions is going to increase the player's cognitive load, not decrease it; now they have to keep track of monsters' previous actions!

Because as a player, you never cast fireball/bolt of whatever/etc multiple turns in a row...
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 3rd December 2015, 17:40

There was a commit a few days ago that created range-based restrictions that can be added to monster spells: https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/3 ... 786018dc62

It was introduced to prevent Spark Wasps from repeatedly Blinkbolt-ing in and out of melee(ish) range of the player, and in that way it's an interesting fix for certain kinds of chained monster actions (and one's that's intuitive -- "wasps use blinkbolt to close distance, not create it" -- so as not to increase the cognitive load duvessa points out). Clearly won't help against an Annihilator spamming LCS, though.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 3rd December 2015, 20:34

Notwithstanding that it's driven more by streaky RNG than active intelligence, I think a monster using its most effective attack options multiple times in a row is kind of the opposite of "silly".

For this message the author sweetrabies has received thanks:
Sar

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 4th December 2015, 01:10

The silliness comes from things being balanced around the fact monsters usually don't spam their most effective option, which means you get really unbalanced results when they do. (or similarly when they spam their least effective option)

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks: 2
Bart, Rast

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th December 2015, 06:28

things aren't balanced around that at all

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 4th December 2015, 10:12

Duvessa, while I accepted your initial explanation and found it plausible, I can't see what you mean behind
duvessa wrote:things aren't balanced around that at all

I can't call balanced a fight where a single monster casts torment 8 times in a row. Imagine that every monster would actually spam their best spells according to a clever script; how would you safely deal with a fiend on the edge of LoS? A player can respond to edge cases few times per game, but not all the time, because there aren't enough resources to handle them. There are even edge cases that are unsurvivable; as to me, these are balanced now only by rarity.

For this message the author Bart has received thanks:
Rast

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 4th December 2015, 12:31

Bart wrote:I can't call balanced a fight where a single monster casts torment 8 times in a row.

If all it does is spam torment, how can you possibly lose? Also, why are you standing around and eating 8 torments? Considering that most escape options in Crawl are not 100% instant guaranteed safety (due to spell/ability failure rates, delay on teleport, potentially poor terrain for ?blinking, etc.), you might want to use them when you've still got some margin for error.

Imagine that every monster would actually spam their best spells according to a clever script; how would you safely deal with a fiend on the edge of LoS?

If fiends were scripted to always do whichever does the most damage of torment/hellfire/dispel undead, I'd guess that the answer would be to run away as soon as you see them. The game never requires you to fight a fiend, as far as I can tell.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 4th December 2015, 13:54

If all it does is spam torment, how can you possibly lose?
It shouldn't be hard to imagine the monster (or his friends) eventually doing something else than torment.

Also, why are you standing around and eating 8 torments?
After two-three torments a character is already left with a small two-digit number of hit points that can be decreased to a negative value with a single attack. At 30HPs, if there is no way to escape, drinking HW potions every turn suddenly makes sense - even if it means counting on luck anyway.

Considering that most escape options in Crawl are not 100% instant guaranteed safety (due to spell/ability failure rates, delay on teleport, potentially poor terrain for ?blinking, etc.), you might want to use them when you've still got some margin for error.
I believe I can assess danger pretty well and achieve satisfactory win ratio. I'd like to mention though that it's impossible to fully mitigate the risk of death even one turn in advance, e.g. since hasted deep elf sorcerer can deal 120 unpreventable damage in a turn, everyone with less HP than that would have to flee. (The risk is fortunately tiny and not worth bothering)

I can see that Crawlers enjoy risk/luck factor far more than I do. I would like Crawl to be a bit more chess-like and not so much lottery-like - especially if we're talking about getting a losing ticket, not a winning one.

For this message the author Bart has received thanks:
Rast

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 4th December 2015, 14:48

Bart wrote:I can see that Crawlers enjoy risk/luck factor far more than I do. I would like Crawl to be a bit more chess-like and not so much lottery-like - especially if we're talking about getting a losing ticket, not a winning one.

Randomness is a pretty fundamental part of the game. Enough so that it is, I believe, specifically mentioned in the game's design philosophy. Other roguelikes do set out to be much more predictable. Brogue is the example that always comes up in this forum as a roguelike that does a fantastic job with predictability and transparency. But the conclusion that gets brought up every time Brogue comes up is that DCSS is too far away from Brogue to ever be Brogue-ified.

That said, I do think there's an interesting issue here to discuss, but it's much more general and complicated than "sometimes monsters use their most powerful spell multiple times in a row": some monsters have a much bigger difference between expected threat and maximum threat. It is theoretically optimal to always play the game around every monster's maximum threat, and this can feel frustrating when there is a monster with a very low expected threat but a very high maximum threat.

The thing is, playing around maximum threat is a core part of DCSS strategy. There are tons of encounters that could go wrong but probably won't. I would say a major difference between a good player and a bad player is their ability to play around maximum threat. A good player will recognize the incredibly high potential danger of an encounter early and flee or use consumables pre-emptively, a bad player waits until a monster has already proven to be a threat, by which time their options are much more limited and it may be too late.

On the other hand, there are times when having a threat variance that is too high can be tedious. The best example of this, I think, is distortion-branded weapons before enemy weapon brands were already revealed. Back then, the maximum threat of any enemy with a glowing weapon was extremely high, especially early game, even if the expected threat was very low, since distortion weapons were very rare. It was theoretically optimal to avoid ever fighting a hill goblin or plain orc with a glowing weapon in melee range, but that was incredibly tedious and not doing that was okay the vast majority of the time, so even many good players didn't actually follow that advice. That's why things were changed so that you could see the enemy's weapon brand - because that particular case of very high threat variance was incredibly tedious.

Another good example that is currently being discussed is Neqoxecs - the fact that they're generally unthreatening, but you have to play around the fact that any given turn in LoS of them could give you Frail or Blurry Vision, makes them a very high threat variance for such a common enemy, which many find annoying. Neqoxecs and distortion brands also both highlight a particular feature that goes poorly with high threat variance - they're common. Common enemies with very high threat variance are much more annoying than rare ones. People don't mind playing around a very high threat variance unique, because you encounter them at most once per game, and so playing around the maximum potential danger isn't tedious, it's just the obvious way to react.

Overall, I think this is something that needs to get handled on a case by case basis. There's no good way to ensure things work out accross the board, we can just look at particular cases of enemies with a poor balance of expected threat, maximum threat, and common-ness and determine if things need to change (like people are currently looking at Neqoxecs). Looking at the four specific cases cited in the original post, here are my own opinions on each of them:

1. Orc Priests: Debatable. While an orc priest getting particularly smite-happy is problematic, they're fairly rare and have a high expected threat already in the early game. They become a lot more common in the mines, but by then the threat of a single orc priest is much lower, and I think it's okay for a pack to still be dangerous.
  2. Hellions: Hellions spam Hellfire burst frequently enough that I would say their expected threat is already very high, so I don't consider them a huge problem. They become a much bigger threat in packs, but packs of hellions are just straight up incredibly dangerous, not cases that are usually harmless and unless you get unlucky, so you can act accordngly.
  3. Deep Elf Annihilators: I'm conflicted on this one. They're fairly rare and have a fairly high expected threat, so on paper I think they're fine, but my personal experience has been that LCS his a lot harder than anything else they do, and I have resulted in a situation where a low health DEA took out half my health with a single LCS and I was forced to flee even though the odds of it LCS-ing again were low and I knew I could kill it if it didn't.
  4. Orb of Fire: Very rare, and already have incredibly high expected threat. There is nothing wrong with being required to play as if an OoF might double-fireball you on any given turn. There's a reason some people consider rF to be the only mandatory resistance in the game.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks: 3
dynast, Rast, Sar

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 4th December 2015, 14:53

Bart wrote:
If all it does is spam torment, how can you possibly lose?
It shouldn't be hard to imagine the monster (or his friends) eventually doing something else than torment.

I was being flippant with that particular line. Sorry if it came off sounding harsher than I had intended.

After two-three torments a character is already left with a small two-digit number of hit points that can be decreased to a negative value with a single attack. At 30HPs, if there is no way to escape, drinking HW potions every turn suddenly makes sense - even if it means counting on luck anyway.

If you're down to 30 HP after 2 torments, you probably didn't have enough HP at the start to safely engage something with torment (even giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming that you were taking the full 50% HP damage per torment, I had 110 max HP upon reaching the Depths with a felid that skipped about half of the Lair rune branches and only did Vault 1/Elf 1, so there's no reason why I can see someone being forced into fighting torment-users other than Menkaure with such low health), and you should definitely have been looking for escape options after the first torment, if not immediately when you noticed the enemy. If there really is no way that you could've escaped, putting aside that that probably means you spent your consumables suboptimally (because that's probably the case with just about everybody), I'd guess that your "escape" should've been to throw all of your offensive firepower at the threat to kill it before it kills you.

I'd like to mention though that it's impossible to fully mitigate the risk of death even one turn in advance, e.g. since hasted deep elf sorcerer can deal 120 unpreventable damage in a turn, everyone with less HP than that would have to flee. (The risk is fortunately tiny and not worth bothering)

I can see that Crawlers enjoy risk/luck factor far more than I do. I would like Crawl to be a bit more chess-like and not so much lottery-like - especially if we're talking about getting a losing ticket, not a winning one.

If a hasted deep elf sorcerer's double turn could kill you in one turn, the "best" options are probably to (a) treat the sorcerer casting haste as a "need to escape NOW" action or (b) haste yourself, preferably preemptively but certainly at least once you see the sorcerer get hasted, for speed parity.

I'm not a good Crawl player, because my danger assessment skills suck. That having been said, I think part of what separates the skill levels of players is being able to account for rare RNG curveballs, even if it's only 1 in 16000 odds of a double max damage 3d20.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 4th December 2015, 15:51

FYI the odds of a double max damage 3d20 hellfire are not 1/16000, they are 1/64,000,000. Of course max damage is super rare; the odds of taking at least 100 damage are still 1/280. But then you have to factor in the probability of two hellfires in a row, and even at a super-high 1/10 odds of casting Hellfire you will only take 100 hellfire damage about once every 30,000 turns.

But that's digressing. There are even more swingy monsters in the game than a vast majority of mages, like the ogre/giant line if you're EV melee focused. For the most part, the swinginess of magic units is not any higher than the swinginess of other units; the exception might be Orc Priests in the very early game, since smite damage is very significant to most characters. Even then, I survive more often than I die when retreating a smite away from death, so my gut tells me they aren't smiting often enough to become a serious issue. Another exception might be Oklob plants, but seriously fuck oklob plants.

For this message the author milski has received thanks:
sweetrabies

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 4th December 2015, 16:02

milski wrote:For the most part, the swinginess of magic units is not any higher than the swinginess of other units.

But of course it is if you consider factors like: doublezapping bolt of lightning, unpreventable damage from hellfire, undodgeable damage from fireballs, min vs max spell damage and the fact that a caster still chooses whether to cast or attack in melee with a -3 dagger.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 4th December 2015, 16:17

milski wrote:FYI the odds of a double max damage 3d20 hellfire are not 1/16000, they are 1/64,000,000.

Aye, I made the blunder of considering it as two instances of 3d20 instead of realizing that the second instance required the first to happen.

Also, Quazifuji did a much better job of making the same point that I was trying to make. Curse my slow typing.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 4th December 2015, 16:46

Bart wrote:
milski wrote:For the most part, the swinginess of magic units is not any higher than the swinginess of other units.

But of course it is if you consider factors like: doublezapping bolt of lightning, unpreventable damage from hellfire, undodgeable damage from fireballs, min vs max spell damage and the fact that a caster still chooses whether to cast or attack in melee with a -3 dagger.

I mean, the most generally "swingy" monster outside of maybe things that cast LCS is an ogre, which appears right around the same time as priests, and has nearly twice the single-hit damage potential.

Regardless, the more important thing is that in almost all cases the swinginess of units is not a problem, and it is certainly not a problem w.r.t. the same random action being repeated multiple times.

Return to Game Design Discussion