Hydra Form beheading

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 19:32

Hydra Form beheading

Hydra Form was recently changed to not regrow heads because

Hydra form is already nothing like monster hydras, and allowing players to make
their form stronger by getting hit with weak chopping weapons isn't a good
feature.

However, weak chopping attacks make your form weaker now instead by chopping your heads off, which imo is also a bad feature. Reasons:

1. This is not intuitive. If there is one thing every new players and what people know from mythology is that hydras regrow heads and a slashing weapon is a bad idea against them.
Yet against a player in hydra form, it is now in fact a very good idea to use slashing weapons as even lowly orcs can reduce your head count. It is true that hydra form works differently in some aspects than the actual monster (which I never found was a problem to begin with), but your form shouldn't do the exact opposite of what can be expected: "If I take on hydra form slashing weapons shouldn't be too much trouble for me, amirite guys?" Plus the whole heads thing worked almost identical to the monster anyway.

2. One of the (few) strong points of hydra form is that it works well against hordes of humanoids due to cleaving and regenerating hp on kill but now it's iffy because said humanoids are really fond of slashing polearms.
Hydra form is situational as it is, why nerf the one thing it excels at.

3. Now with all that being I don't care about growing extra heads from a gameplay perspective because it was just a neat gimmick that almost never mattered anyway (but losing heads on the other hand has very real consequences), I suggest that

Hydra form cannot regrow heads, but neither can it lose them. This way, a) it truly works different from the monster and b) it stays good at what it does - namely devouring tasty, tasty humans.

For this message the author Fishman has received thanks: 10
Arrhythmia, chequers, duvessa, dynast, jason0320, nago, RBrandon, Shard1697, typhen, WingedEspeon

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 25th November 2015, 18:21

Re: Hydra Form beheading

Since the whole problem is with flavor (and the ensuing player expectations), the best fix is probably just to rename it.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 25th November 2015, 18:37

Giant Form.

You turn into a giant version of yourself, capable of throwing punches that cleave. Unfortunately, entering this form melds your armour, but fear not: Depending on the strength of the form, you get natural armour (+5+pow/20 AC, pow capped at 100), and natural GDR is 28% (scale). Furthermore, **you keep all mutations.** This means that anything with scales will keep its scales; Gargoyles keep their bonus AC. Your EV is reduced as if you were two sizes larger than you were (so Spriggans would just be Human-sized, but Ogres would be even bigger than Dragons).

Questions: Should shields be usable in this form? (Only large shields?)

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 25th November 2015, 20:35

Hecatoncheir form. You turn into a giant with over one hundred arms. You can punch in all directions at once. Number of arms (and base damage) depend on spell-power. [That's the simplest reflavour to stay mechanically similar.]
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 25th November 2015, 20:47

But how do you gain nutrition from killing with punching?
You shall never see my color again.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 28th November 2015, 00:11

Fishman wrote:Hydra form cannot regrow heads, but neither can it lose them. This way, a) it truly works different from the monster and b) it stays good at what it does - namely devouring tasty, tasty humans.

That sounds probably fine, patches welcome.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 28th November 2015, 01:23

Why should it even be called hydra form then? Name it after some other thing.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

For this message the author pubby has received thanks:
Rast

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 28th November 2015, 02:13

Because HEADS RAWRGH.

Triple axe form sounds pretty awesome too though.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 2nd December 2015, 16:12

Hey thank you a lot for the implementation I really appreciate it (plus I'm a lost cause when it comes to coding).

Return to Game Design Discussion