Allow Cheibriados players to teleport in the abyss normally

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th November 2015, 08:11

Allow Cheibriados players to teleport in the abyss normally

Proposal: Allow Cheibriados players to teleport in the abyss normally

Just a thought that occured to me when banished a few days ago. Chei already slows down monster spawning the Abyss, but this only prevents you from being swarmed over time by large amounts of monsters. It's less helpful against single incredibly strong monsters, such as when an ancient lich or hell sentinel spawns and you're somewhere in the level 13-16 range.

Assuming that assisting players in this circumstance is desirable, an easy way to do it would be to allow sources of teleport to trigger in their normal time for chei followers. It isn't too unlikely to survive 4 turns after seeing an ancient lich, but surviving the 10 or so that delayed teleports require is a lot more difficult.

On a related by separate effect, I think Chei should prevent haste from chaos clouds. Chei will prevent the haste component from quaffing unID'ed berserk potions (maybe ID'ed ones? not sure) as well as the berserk mutation. Chaos clouds from apoc crabs repeatedly hasted me, and while you get the message that Chei will forgive you just once (can we get that "just once" part removed? Happened twice to this one character), I'd suggest that Chei should just prevent it from happening at all. Unintentional hasting should be strictly impossible, intentionally hasting yourself should be penance/excommunication.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 19th November 2015, 15:28

Re: Allow Cheibriados players to teleport in the abyss norma

I feel like temporal distortion and/or scrolls of blinking would help a lot. In fact, proper use of temporal distortion should be enough. It might take a few tries, but it's not like the enemy gets to attack you after casting it, it's a very powerful god ability.. but I'm sure you know this already :P

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 19th November 2015, 15:47

Re: Allow Cheibriados players to teleport in the abyss norma

I don't see any problem with forcing the player to just use their consumables and regular Chei abilities to try and deal with places where being slow is especially problematic, and definitely don't think piling on more special-casing is a good solution.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 5
Lasty, Rast, Sar, tedric, WingedEspeon

Return to Game Design Discussion