standardize holy word PC and monster effects

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 16th November 2015, 05:27

standardize holy word PC and monster effects

Bad scroll. It is underwhelming considering how rare it is, since it mostly just does some damage to holy/demonic creatures in LOS. They're likely to be hoarded and never used. By the time a character hits extended they're not even worth carrying. For instance, it takes at least 4 readings, but likely twice as many, to bring down a greater mummy. If there must be a scroll of holy word for some reason, it should cut current HP of all demonic/undead creatures in LOS by half. Then it's appropriately transparent and predictable for such a rare item, awesomely similar to torment, and even consistent with what happens to undead/demonspawn player characters when they read the scroll.

from larger post viewtopic.php?t=18073

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 16th November 2015, 05:58

Re: standardize holy word PC and monster effects

A buff to holy word would be great, though I think it's fine if holy world is not an exact parallel to torment. Holy attacks and negative energy don't have equivalent ways of resisting them, either.

It'd be cool if it had the effect of a high level Zin recite on top of doing significant amounts of damage, for example.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 16th November 2015, 06:10

holy flame clouds would be neat, though i don't know if they would be mostly OP or mostly useless
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 16th November 2015, 06:31

I like the 'get a free turn' aspect of ?holy word the most. Why not just play up that angle by increasing the stun duration to 20 aut for all affected monsters?

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 16th November 2015, 12:43

chequers wrote:I like the 'get a free turn' aspect of ?holy word the most. Why not just play up that angle by increasing the stun duration to 20 aut for all affected monsters?

I liked that aspect the least, since it was both unintuitive and boringly strong. Coincidentally it's also no longer a thing!

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 2
chequers, Pollen_Golem

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 16th November 2015, 13:36

Well, I think a scroll that just damages all extended enemies is pretty boring, so it gets the thumbs down from me.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks:
Pollen_Golem

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 16th November 2015, 13:41

situations where holy word is useful in 3rune game:

doing crypt

doing a Zigg

Orb run.

Since the orb run is actually really important and really spikey in regards to damage level, having an item thats most useful for the orb run is actually pretty good.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 16th November 2015, 15:13

You make sure to take scrolls of holy word for the orb run? :shock:

MarvinPA wrote:I liked that aspect the least, since it was both unintuitive and boringly strong. Coincidentally it's also no longer a thing!

I know, what a coincidence!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th November 2015, 01:40

le_nerd wrote:Since the orb run is actually really important and really spikey in regards to damage level, having an item thats most useful for the orb run is actually pretty good.

My last character who went on the orb run was killed by Seraph + pack of angels. Your move.

On topic, I agree that the scroll isn't terribly useful. I generally drop it on the ground. I'm not even entirely sure who it affects - is it just undead/demon holiness? Lesser effect on living?

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 17th November 2015, 03:47

tasonir wrote:On topic, I agree that the scroll isn't terribly useful. I generally drop it on the ground. I'm not even entirely sure who it affects - is it just undead/demon holiness? Lesser effect on living?

Undead and demonic, it's surprisingly good in niche cases like demon themed ziggurat floors and stuff. A few reads will clear out all the popcorn and soften up tier-1 demons so you can 1-shot them more easily. If I could get like a dozen of them it'd be amazing, but right now it's pretty weak, yeah.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 17th November 2015, 05:36

le_nerd wrote:situations where holy word is useful in 3rune game:

doing crypt

doing a Zigg

Orb run.

Since the orb run is actually really important and really spikey in regards to damage level, having an item thats most useful for the orb run is actually pretty good.

I don't think Ziggs or Crypt are really standard practice for a 3 rune game. Especially if you're clearing a zigg, you're still doing extended content, just with less runes to show for it.

I mean I occasionally dive a few floors into the Depth Zigg because you can generally powerlevel your character to 27 before getting to floors that have more than like 8 enemies, but that's still super bad play.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th November 2015, 08:49

I wonder if Holy Word would work better as a misc evokable (the inert / recharged with exp type)? This way its effect would scale with Evo. Make it a Holy Book or something.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to Game Design Discussion