High Elf buff proposal

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 14th November 2015, 01:47

High Elf buff proposal

Part one: increase HP aptitude to 0.

I'm going to be quite frank, this is a large buff and it would make high elves a definite power species. This would allow high elves to fulfill the role of a high powered species that excels at magic, similar to how minotaurs excel at physical skills. High elves are currently at an awkward place because everything but their HP aptitude suggest a power species, but their HP aptitude holds them back. However, their HP aptitude is not low enough to make them a proper challenge species. This buff would give high elves a clear roll as a magic oriented power species with full equipment slots. This would encourage newbies to play casters rather than spanning MiBe.

Part two:increase Unarmed Combat aptitude to +1.

This would allow high elves to take the roll of a reasonably strong elvish transmuter species after the removal of sludge elves. unarmed combat is generaly pretty weak without transmutations, so this would not have an impact on most high elf games, but would increase the replayability of the game by adding another reasonably synergistic species/background choice. There still remain plenty of species that are bad at being transmuters that you can choose if you want a challenge transmuter game.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 14th November 2015, 04:47

Re: High Elf buff proposal

Game doesn't need to be divided between "power species" and "felid". HE are in a good place right now.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 14th November 2015, 05:18

Agree; I'm amused that a race being neither overpowered nor underpowered can be viewed as a bad thing.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 14th November 2015, 05:58

Rast wrote:Game doesn't need to be divided between "power species" and "felid". HE are in a good place right now.

High elves are in a weird spot, I think. New players will almost always pick DE over HE (because deep elves are better mages, right? And mages are mages right?) while a more experienced player will probably just pick something better, because it isn't as if high elves are bringing anything unique to the table with their higher than average int and MP. I would actually like to see DE & HE combined into a single elf species, we really don't need two samey humanoids that are good at magic but also sorta frail. Also, Felid are good.

Unrelated, but I find it weird that HE have the potential to have more INT than DE should the RNG will it.

Actually, this whole post is unrelated.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks:
all before

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th November 2015, 17:27

Rast wrote:Game doesn't need to be divided between "power species" and "felid".

Fe are a power species... past D:2, anyway.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 04:09

Greyr wrote: it isn't as if high elves are bringing anything unique to the table with their higher than average int and MP. I would actually like to see DE & HE combined into a single elf species, we really don't need two samey humanoids that are good at magic but also sorta frail.

I agree that if High Elves have a problem, it's this, not their power level. "Squishy, but kinda good at some kinds of magic and swords" isn't the most compelling theme for a species. Tengu already have a similar theme of squishy race with versatile apts, but I think they're more interesting. So I'd be in favor of brainstorming whether there's a way to improve high elves, but from a design standpoint, not a gameplay standpoint. And "give them more health" definitely would not do that.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 06:56

Just for the record I once proposed merging high elves and Halflings into a small, transmuty species: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16274

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 18:12

Bring back glamour.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Return to Game Design Discussion