Artifact Shops with Gozag

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 20:05

Artifact Shops with Gozag

Minor Gozag Buff that would be more amusing than helpful in the average game.

Give a small chance for each Call Merchant to use one of the slots as an artifact shop. Artifact Shops here refer to the unique shops that are only spawned by vaults currently: "{Foo}'s Quality Used Wands" "Zin's Purification Station" "{Foo}'s Pet Rocks" "{Foo}'s Snakeskin Shack" "{Foo}'s Off-brand Ammo"

This gives Gozag a chance to spawn stores with items that are literally impossible to find otherwise (Save a rare vault that is rarer than Gozag offering to spawn the shop).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 9th November 2015, 11:36

Re: Artifact Shops with Gozag

Probably call them specialty shops so noone thinks they'll contain all artifacts </bikeshedding>

It seems reasonable to me...
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th November 2015, 01:32

Also, just to make it more confusing, I believe shops with unidentified items at a discount are currently called artifact shops, even though they generally don't sell artefacts (although they can).

So, allowing Gozag to spawn "speciality" shops would be fine, it's mostly flavor, many of them are lower power than a good weapon/armor/jewelry shop anyways. Depends on if you want Gozag to be able to spawn Zin's shop, I guess :)

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 10th November 2015, 15:42

tasonir wrote:Also, just to make it more confusing, I believe shops with unidentified items at a discount are currently called artifact shops, even though they generally don't sell artefacts (although they can).

They're called antique shops, right?
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th November 2015, 21:02

It is entirely possible that I confused those two, but I thought it was artifact shops, at least...

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 10th November 2015, 21:38

Well one of the speciality shops - the alliterative Eclective or something- has lots of items with E. Multiple manuals of Evocation, potions of Experience etc. So getting that one would be awesome!

I think its a fine idea, the choice to get a rare speciality shop vs your first, second, third armour shop.

Return to Game Design Discussion