Replace paralysis with "slow, no EV and unable to move"

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 20:56

Replace paralysis with "slow, no EV and unable to move"

Paralysis is too random/cruel, I suggest to add a new "Almost paralyzed" status, which makes character unable to move/teleport/blink, all actions are slow and EV is reduced to 0. Ancient Lich and uniques can keep the old paralysis but having paralysis in Orc Sorcerers' book is ridiculous. Duration can be increased of course. The point of the change is that player will be able to use consumables like fear/healing/summoning/god instead of dying randomly.

Spoiler: show
I've just lost a tab character (XL 16 with Fighting 13/AC 19/EV 29/powered by death 2 and UC 17) to 7 turns paralysis in Orc 4 from full HP. I was aware of the danger so I was wearing a +2 robe of MR instead of +4 MDA, cleared Lair/Dungeon (including 2 wizards who had 15% chance to banish me). Even banishment is more fun.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 22:24

Re: Replace paralysis with "slow, no EV and unable to move"

The reasons Paralysis is good have been discussed to death, for example here.

I prefer to think of Paralysis like Disintegrate, it's a high damage ranged spell that just happens to also check MR. (Except Paralysis damage is a interesting function of what monsters are around you and where they are in the LOS instead of a fixed number). Allowing the use of escape consumables after being paralyzed would be a completely different design.

This is highly unlikely to ever be implemented.

(Also I suspect you would have been more likely survive in the MDA than in the MR robe, since it would give you better defenses against monster attacks. I haven't crunched the numbers though).
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

For this message the author reaver has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 09:28

I kind of like the ideas of shaking out of paralysis (and get one last action) if you're near death, or just re-rolling monster action once if you bump into them and it happens to be paralysis. Since nothing was decided from that thread, I figure I should ask here: is there any chance that there will be changes to prevent auto-explore->paralysis deaths?

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 14:25

Changes that stop autoexplore deaths with little/no side effects are always good and likely to happen, not sure what change you're specifically asking for.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 21:33

reaver wrote:Changes that stop autoexplore deaths with little/no side effects are always good and likely to happen, not sure what change you're specifically asking for.

Auto-explore into Grinder/Rupert/etc. with paralysis as their first action can lead to autoexplore deaths. They're admittedly rare but it's happened before, and when it does occur they're very frustrating. The idea of re-rolling a monsters action into something else if their first action upon seeing you is paralysis seems fairly unobtrusive (and of course, this only happens exactly once, if you've already encountered the monster all bets are off). At the very least, I don't think there's a meaningful way to abuse that kind of safeguard, unless you include protecting yourself from paralysis as soon as you see the source of paralysis as abuse.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 23:59

reaver wrote:I prefer to think of Paralysis like Disintegrate, it's a high damage ranged spell that just happens to also check MR.

Except for Giant Eyeballs, which just paralyze you irresistably. Personally, my only real issue with paralysis is that giant eyeballs have smite-targeted unavoidable and irresistible paralysis.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 27th October 2015, 02:57

Aethrus wrote:
reaver wrote:I prefer to think of Paralysis like Disintegrate, it's a high damage ranged spell that just happens to also check MR.

Except for Giant Eyeballs, which just paralyze you irresistably. Personally, my only real issue with paralysis is that giant eyeballs have smite-targeted unavoidable and irresistible paralysis.

Well there's a reason those basically don't exist anymore.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 27th October 2015, 05:17

That reason is not related to their paralysis being smite targeted and not resisted by MR.

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th October 2015, 00:56

Wahaha wrote:That reason is not related to their paralysis being smite targeted and not resisted by MR.

Why were they removed if it wasn't for their paralysis?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th October 2015, 01:01

non-summoned giant eyeballs were harmless except as an autoexplore/dig trap

Return to Game Design Discussion