Proposal: Remove Clearly Bad Floor Items

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 05:16

Proposal: Remove Clearly Bad Floor Items

My personal challenge (winning a Monk of every race and every god) has lead me to starting a number of characters with no starting weapon. (-2 UC means monk starts with ~3.0 UC skill and has a hard time raising it; crap weapon even in early game). Starting this kind of character generally means picking up the first floor weapon is a good move; but then "It sticks to your hand! A cursed -2 Short Sword." is essentially a near NetHackish "You die." message from how miserably hard it is to survive that if you haven't found any ?Remove Curse yet. Not to mention you end up without any escape items for awhile because of blind reading your first ?Blink and ?Tele, etc. hoping for a ?Remove Curse. Personally given how annoying it is and it's primary effect being lack of decent escape options in the early game; I'm for removing the identification game completely; BUT can we at least make "A short sword." found on the ground, as opposed to "A runed short sword." always an uncursed unbranded +0 Short Sword? For the sanity of bad start combos and combos that start without a weapon?
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 2
Bart, Pollen_Golem

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 05:22

Re: Proposal: Remove Clearly Bad Floor Items

I'm pretty sure non-glowing/runed weapons are always completely mundane (+0 uncursed)
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 05:26

Well, they actually can have +/- value I'm pretty sure, don't think they can be cursed, though. Either way, while of course auto-id should be a thing, I don't think making balance decisions on intentionally gimped players is a good idea.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 05:39

don't wield strange weapons unless you're feeling brave

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 10:35

partial wrote:I'm pretty sure non-glowing/runed weapons are always completely mundane (+0 uncursed)

That's incorrect.

I just downloaded the latest trunk to be sure, and used wizard mode to make 20 short swords. It turns out they were all mundane, one was cursed +0, and two were cursed -2.

I did the experiment a second time too; this time one was glowing (+2 freezing). One of the mundane ones was cursed +0.

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks:
partial

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 13:42

I stand corrected; thanks for looking into that!

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 14:34

Apparently also glowing/runed items can be mundane +0. At least my bug report about the subject remains unanswered.

https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=9860

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 15:51

Sphara wrote:Apparently also glowing/runed items can be mundane +0. At least my bug report about the subject remains unanswered.

https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=9860

Fixed now. We were generating +0 bracers of archery, then stripping off the archery ego without resetting the cosmetic ("runed") flag.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 19:30

Still think non-runed should always be +0 Uncursed. Runed being a chance of -2, cursed is one thing, but a plain spear should be a plain spear.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

chequers, partial

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 20:05

Well I had some funny times in early floors due to plain weapons being cursed and lack of ?rc and that's probably the only case where curses are relevant, so removing them would be a good move if removing curses as well
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 23:53

The whole point is to make you fear your inventory.
remove food

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 28th October 2015, 09:59

Getting a cursed weapon on d:1 has a good chance of becoming a death sentence. Occasional "funny times" when character can survive with cursed -2 weapon do not justify killing the rest.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th October 2015, 18:59

Bart wrote:Getting a cursed weapon on d:1 has a good chance of becoming a death sentence. Occasional "funny times" when character can survive with cursed -2 weapon do not justify killing the rest.

I survive about 80-90% of my d1 cursed weapon pickups to uncursing. It isn't funny though, it is mostly just sort of tedious.

(Yay, everything takes lots and lots of attacks to kill now! I imagine this would be what it would be like to play Sandman's increased hps mod)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 29th October 2015, 07:42

Well, then I am either a very bad player or very unlucky player, because usually I have to fight an adder which I cannot even hit before I find my first remove curse scroll. So much fun, so little annoying randomness.

The fact that current design basically punishes only monks (as elementalists/wizards can still cast their spells at full power) is very surprising. I didn't know we consider monks overpowered...

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 29th October 2015, 14:36

bcadren wrote:Still think non-runed should always be +0 Uncursed. Runed being a chance of -2, cursed is one thing, but a plain spear should be a plain spear.

Yes I also agree with this.

I honestly thought this was already the case.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 29th October 2015, 22:11

A cursed early sling doesn't seem so bad if you have bullets.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 29th October 2015, 23:07

This seems like a common-sense idea.
Plain items are plain items.
I know whenever I start off as a Venom-mage, I always pick up the first dagger I see, just in case I come around a corner and have a Stab opportunity or something. (I also train stealth in robes so thats at thing...)
Or if I know from the start I wanna go hybrid, I'll swap out my chainmail for leather armor. In that event all I'm looking for is the mundane armor to change my starting kit.
Now...
You wanna play the risk/reward game? That's when you pick up and equip that Runed item and pray for +x item of xxx, instead of Cursed -x item
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 15:47

At least in previous versions, non-blue light-gray items could have at least small positive enchantments, making it ideal to wield both if you found e.g. two plain lajatangs. Would you support removing positive enchantments from plain items, too?

PS It's also weird that if you can see a non-wight's weapon's brand, it's not cursed. These weapons should display "an uncursed" in front.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 18:20

Pollen_Golem wrote:At least in previous versions, non-blue light-gray items could have at least small positive enchantments, making it ideal to wield both if you found e.g. two plain lajatangs. Would you support removing positive enchantments from plain items, too?

This is already the case, if I understand correctly. Plain items can be cursed but they won't have a positive enchantment. This way you don't have to wield or wear every item to see if it's better than your current one.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 21:39

Sprucery wrote:
Pollen_Golem wrote:At least in previous versions, non-blue light-gray items could have at least small positive enchantments, making it ideal to wield both if you found e.g. two plain lajatangs. Would you support removing positive enchantments from plain items, too?

This is already the case, if I understand correctly. Plain items can be cursed but they won't have a positive enchantment. This way you don't have to wield or wear every item to see if it's better than your current one.
Yea; but a plain item really should just be a plain item. Early QStaff should always be a blessing, not a -3 QStaff (Curse) that will drain your scrolls to remove it if you don't have any IDed yet.

chequers, WingedEspeon

Return to Game Design Discussion