Remove amulet of warding, add amulet of mana regeneration

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 05:23

Remove amulet of warding, add amulet of mana regeneration

The amulet of warding is one of the most useless items in the game (I don't count items that exist as "Gotcha!"s for the ID game). I almost never see anyone wearing it, and I can't think of any situation where I want to use it other than having no other amulets.

An amulet of mana regeneration, on the other hand would be a nice quality-of-life item (though admittedly mostly useless for hypothetical optimal play). By doing what is suggested in the title, the number of amulets could be kept the same while introducing an item that is more useful.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 3
jason0320, nago, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 05:56

Re: Remove amulet of warding, add amulet of mana regeneratio

I use amulet of warding, admittedly I'll usually ditch it if I find faith (given I have a god worth using faith on) or for some builds guardian spirit. I rank it about tied with regeneration, and less special purpose than clarity or rMut (And better than gourmond)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 06:13

I like having Warding in Crypt/Tomb, on the rare occasions that I go there, when I don't have enough other sources of negative resistance. The warding itself helps too since you face lots of summoners. At any rate, it's not the first amulet I'd remove (that would probably be gourmand, which is little more than the RNG saving you some interface hassle).
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 07:02

Gourmand is a good quality-of-life item while massive food consumption (as a conjurer/summoner at least) remains as a "feature" in the game, so I can't agree with wanting to remove it more than warding.
remove food

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 19:08

right but it's quality-of-life for the player, not the character. that makes it a bandaid over an annoying piece of the interface, rather than an amulet that is actually tactically/strategically helpful in any significant way.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 19:31

regeneration on items is bad, it makes you swap them out to rest (even when you go back to a safe place piety decay is a thing). If you have a useful not-faith amulet that you want to wear then having this amulet is going to reduce quality of life if anything.
What about an amulet that reduces MP costs instead? Similar quality of life improvement, more useful in combat, and not useful to swap in for resting.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 8
archaeo, Arrhythmia, jason0320, johlstei, nago, njvack, partial, Sar

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 19:57

duvessa wrote:regeneration on items is bad, it makes you swap them out to rest (even when you go back to a safe place piety decay is a thing). If you have a useful not-faith amulet that you want to wear then having this amulet is going to reduce quality of life if anything.
What about an amulet that reduces MP costs instead? Similar quality of life improvement, more useful in combat, and not useful to swap in for resting.

If you really want regeneration, you could just make it only equippable at full mana, but I like this better. (I guess the full mana solution would let you wield antimagic, put it on, then unwield antimagic but that's silly.)

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks: 2
duvessa, jason0320

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 20:23

I wear gourmand preferentially when I don't have any particularly compelling reason to wear another type. It makes the game more fun, even though it has 0 power impact on my character most of the time.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 20:41

Since people keep debating if Gourmand does anything actually useful normally. If you use high level spells a lot and have them early because of Vehumet Wizardry...it can let you have more casts/battle. Similar notes with Sif Channeling and CBoE channeling and it lets you Berserk in more fights with Trog/Amulet of Rage. Suppose it could also technically help if you had a lot of rods, but I've never seen a character with that many rods.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 20:45

I like amulet of Warding in Elf if I don't already have a source of rN.

duvessa wrote:regeneration on items is bad, it makes you swap them out to rest (even when you go back to a safe place piety decay is a thing).

For whatever reason I used to think that regen worked like gourmand does--as in you wouldn't heal quicker when you first put it on. Would this fix the item swapping problem?

For this message the author amaril has received thanks:
MrPlanck

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 21:07

rotting on unequip would be a better solution for regen

Barkeep

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 22:30

duvessa's idea is an interesting and cool one. And for whatever reason, this is apparently the week we're going to talk about amulets we'd like to remove.

byrel wrote:I wear gourmand preferentially when I don't have any particularly compelling reason to wear another type. It makes the game more fun

I propose removing amulet of gourmand. #RemoveFood2016

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 23:24

All amulets could have gourmand-like warming-up period. This would be consistent. Amulets would be the no-swapping jewellery item. Resist corrosion should be a ring anyway.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 24th October 2015, 16:22

Amulet of magical power?
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 05:31

duvessa wrote:What about an amulet that reduces MP costs instead? Similar quality of life improvement, more useful in combat, and not useful to swap in for resting.

this would be dope
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 05:34

I think warding is an OK idea, but it's implemented really silly. Why can't the amulet just prevent all summoning in view (including summons by you)? That would be an effect I would actually use.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

For this message the author pubby has received thanks: 6
duvessa, jason0320, kuniqs, nago, Sprucery, tabstorm

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 09:22

pubby wrote:I think warding is an OK idea, but it's implemented really silly. Why can't the amulet just prevent all summoning in view (including summons by you)? That would be an effect I would actually use.

Great idea. A warming-up period would be good here too.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 29th October 2015, 01:59

I think warding is an OK idea, but it's implemented really silly. Why can't the amulet just prevent all summoning in view (including summons by you)? That would be an effect I would actually use.

What if amulet of warding gives a evocable aura of abjuration just like ring of flight?
15 runes wins: DECj^Vehumet
Cip: DsCj^Vehumet

For this message the author jason0320 has received thanks:
tasonir

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 29th October 2015, 22:33

Really like the evocable aura of abjuration effect - it could also be a oldschool mass abjuration (one turn effect) rather than the aura, if you wanted to bring that back. Either way, it'd make the amulet truly effective against enemy summoners. I've often picked up aura of abjuration as my only summoning spell on characters with good general casting ability, as a purely defensive measure. Having an amulet option would let less-caster characters have a decent summoner defense as well, at the cost of an amulet slot, which seems fair.

Return to Game Design Discussion