Proposal: Add a Sif ability, store/delay a spell

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 19th October 2015, 13:53

Proposal: Add a Sif ability, store/delay a spell

It seems like Sif Muna is where all the attention is lately, and it seems that Sif is known as bland.

For a new power, one that you can't get anywhere else, perhaps Sif could allow you to store a spell for later. Like Delayed Fireball, but anything you like. Right now, all Sif gives you is abundance. Spellbooks, channeling, amnesia, wizardry (decreased miscasting)... you can get all of these things elsewhere. She doesn't have anything that you can ONLY get by worshipping her. So, a delay-a-spell ability.

This doesn't tie too specifically to any particular school (Sif is, after all, the general magic god)- you might decide you'd like to pay for a conjuration now and cast it later, but you might just as well decide that about a summons or a translocation instead.

I think that adding this active power at say 2* or 3* piety could fill in that middle time where Sif feels not-worth-it. One free cast can be a big deal, depending on the circumstances.

For this message the author Cantwell has received thanks: 3
le_nerd, neil, thromnambular

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 19th October 2015, 14:18

Re: Proposal: Add a Sif ability, store/delay a spell

Not a bad idea... though a delayed C'Blink sounds absurdly good.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 19th October 2015, 17:05

Alternate proposal: Remove delayed fireball, since it's a bundle of Nethack-like exceptions that exists mostly as a D&D reference.

For this message the author milski has received thanks: 3
duvessa, le_nerd, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th October 2015, 21:02

I support both the OP and the alternate proposal.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 2
byrel, ion_frigate

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 20th October 2015, 17:55

Though I think it should be a 5-star ability not, 2-3. It's too good for that.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 02:17

If implemented, when storing a spell, you should have to cast it with a significant wizardry penalty. Delayed Fireball is two levels higher than regular Fireball for a reason.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 02:47

Let storing the spell be foolproof, and have the spellpower be set by multiplying typical spyllpower [(piety+200)/(max possible piety + 200)]. Then have a chance to waste a turn instead of instantly casting the spell, based on invocations. Use a formula similar to Makhleb's old friendliness chance.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 05:04

jejorda2 wrote:Let storing the spell be foolproof, and have the spellpower be set by multiplying typical spyllpower [(piety+200)/(max possible piety + 200)]. Then have a chance to waste a turn instead of instantly casting the spell, based on invocations. Use a formula similar to Makhleb's old friendliness chance.

The only benefit of Delayed Fireball is that it doesn't take an action. If it didn't, you would just be memorizing a spell for the sake of a half=powered, very specific ring of magical power.

If Sif's store spell had to choose between "successfully cast the spell for 0.0 auts" and "failed to cast the spell and lost it for 1.0 auts" it would be massively worse than simply casting the spell at 1.0 auts, assuming you are storing escape spells like a sane player.

For this message the author milski has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 06:01

Hm, what about a "delayed spell casting" that let you literally cast a spell that would go off in say, 5-8 turns, so you can cast your fireball and walk into combat, only to get a targeting prompt for "free" (no additional action required) some turns later....

(I'm assuming one "slow casting spell" can be in progress at a time)

I could see that being a strange, set up and channel pre-combat kind of thing.

I'm not sure whether it would be super good or super bad, but it might be interesting. (This is just off the top of my head)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 18:09

Siegurt wrote:Hm, what about a "delayed spell casting" that let you literally cast a spell that would go off in say, 5-8 turns, so you can cast your fireball and walk into combat, only to get a targeting prompt for "free" (no additional action required) some turns later....

(I'm assuming one "slow casting spell" can be in progress at a time)

I could see that being a strange, set up and channel pre-combat kind of thing.

I'm not sure whether it would be super good or super bad, but it might be interesting. (This is just off the top of my head)

That's an even worse bundle of Nethack-like exceptions for an even more blatant D&D reference!

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 23rd October 2015, 20:19

It sounds like something that should be killed with fire in the charms rework.

Return to Game Design Discussion