Allow Ashenzari Scrolls to Curse Holy Wrath Weapons

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 17th October 2015, 20:26

Allow Ashenzari Scrolls to Curse Holy Wrath Weapons

The "can't curse" property of Holy Wrath weapons originated from "Blessed" weapons being the opposite of "Cursed" in other Roguelikes. In some ways it -did- make sense; to repel being forcefully cursed by a mummy death curse or hexes miscast; but with death curses gone and hex miscast curses rare, the primary thing the 'repelling curses' property does is make it impossible for Ashenzari to boost a Holy Weapon.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
Rast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 17th October 2015, 22:11

Re: Allow Ashenzari Scrolls to Curse Holy Wrath Weapons

I think "Are holy weapons good enough to sacrifice the skill boost" is a fun question.

But on the other hand, in the late game where holy weapons are best, there is enough xp to get those last few levels of weapon skill without Ash's boost. And getting to use rods and maybe a launcher adds more icing to the cake. So maybe it's too easy a decision to be worth the spoilery nethackism.

I think it's a good mechanic- but what if instead of TSO's blessing having the power to repel the curse, Ash's curse has the power to squelch the blessing? So a cursed holy weapon doesn't do holy damage.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 18th October 2015, 06:45

Re: Allow Ashenzari Scrolls to Curse Holy Wrath Weapons

jejorda2 wrote:I think it's a good mechanic- but what if instead of TSO's blessing having the power to repel the curse, Ash's curse has the power to squelch the blessing? So a cursed holy weapon doesn't do holy damage.

Then what would be the point of cursing a holy weapon? You could just curse a flaming/freezing/vorpal weapon instead, and get a little bit of extra damage. The situation would be exactly the same as now.

For this message the author ion_frigate has received thanks: 3
Laraso, Rast, WingedEspeon

Return to Game Design Discussion