Make demonspawns able to evolve to classes.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 9th October 2015, 14:29

Make demonspawns able to evolve to classes.

Currently demonspawns (mostly talkin' here about ones coming from Mercenary card) just increase HD. Given how many other species (even ones you can't get) which have stronger forms evolve into them on level ups I think it will be consistent and cool.
May be also actual for draconians and kobolds or whatever other mercenarable monsters.
What would be fun is a God who uses piety like a fighting game style super meter. Piety decays rapidly outside of combat, builds up during fights, spend it for secret techniques and super moves.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 9th October 2015, 19:04

Re: Make demonspawns able to evolve to classes.

When I added base demonspawn to the mercenary list, I discussed this but I think we reached the conclusion that they were just way too strong compared to anything else you can get as a permanent ally. For example, I just ran an arena test and nonbase demonspawn beat nonbase draconians (probably the strongest thing you can get now) 66-33. It's a cool idea but I'm not sure how to balance it.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 9th October 2015, 19:20

I dunno. It's not like mercenary cards are super common, or yield demonspawn all the time, and then you need to take care of a permanent ally (and they like to die in silly ways) to get something that's ultimately somewhat tougher than a drac.

A strong permanent ally is nice to have, but I don't think they'd break the game. You don't need allies at all 95% of the time you're playing, and there are plenty of ways to get strong temporary allies now.

Edit: Actually, strong permanent allies are less nice than strong temporary allies, because you need to babysit them to keep them from dying in stupid ways.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
jason0320, Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th October 2015, 16:11

Seriously, it's an extremely rare card that you will find once in like a hundred games, you can't give mercs items anymore and they will die to hellfire anyway because their AI is dumb. Meanwhile, Nem has cards that give you (temporary) Pan lords who cast level 9 spells at your enemies.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, nago, njvack

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 10th October 2015, 19:00

alternatively, just remove merc cards
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
duvessa

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th October 2015, 19:36

I am not thanking that

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 11th October 2015, 14:36

Sar wrote:Seriously, it's an extremely rare card that you will find once in like a hundred games, you can't give mercs items anymore and they will die to hellfire anyway because their AI is dumb. Meanwhile, Nem has cards that give you (temporary) Pan lords who cast level 9 spells at your enemies.

I got about seven mercs out of four decks of wonders in my last win. They aren't that rare.

Return to Game Design Discussion