FR: Keep the Draconian breath weapon hotkey constant

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 7th October 2015, 04:42

FR: Keep the Draconian breath weapon hotkey constant

If you're playing a Draconian and find an evokable item before you hit level 7, your breath weapon will not assigned to the hotkey used if you don't have anything to evoke (f). This is a mild annoyance for Draconians, since in almost any run you're going to want to use your breath weapon, while you rarely care about that ring of flying you left on just because. If Draconians had a default breath weapon hotkey that evokables wouldn't overwrite (without using "=,a"), this annoyance would go away.

For this message the author milski has received thanks: 2
chequers, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 7th October 2015, 23:58

Re: FR: Keep the Draconian breath weapon hotkey constant

Maybe L1 draconian should have a placeholder breath weapon? Like maybe a roar that makes the same damage as shout, then gets replaced when the color is revealed? Or breath that can do nothing but wake up sleeping monsters at range, like throwing stones without needing to find stones, but with a breath timeout? Or even that with a limited range?

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 8th October 2015, 00:15

I'm 99% sure there's a way to get your .rc file to automatically assign hotkeys for any given ability or spell. Part of me wishes the game just did this by default, but it's probably more flexible this way.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 8th October 2015, 00:22

The problem with doing that by default is that there are more abilities than available hotkeys, and not all hotkeys are convenient.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 8th October 2015, 00:39

archaeo wrote:I'm 99% sure there's a way to get your .rc file to automatically assign hotkeys for any given ability or spell. Part of me wishes the game just did this by default, but it's probably more flexible this way.

There was a patch for this for abilities (for spells, it's been around for quite a long while), but it's currently stuck in development hell.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 8th October 2015, 01:05

duvessa wrote:The problem with doing that by default is that there are more abilities than available hotkeys, and not all hotkeys are convenient.

But aren't most abilities impossible to have at one time, if not outright mutually exclusive? Like, you could keep berserk, channel, etc. on aa, since any character worshipping Trog won't have to worry about the Sif hotkeys?

It's possible I'm seriously underestimating the number of abilities. It's also possible I'm misunderstanding what the OP meant by "hotkeys."

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 8th October 2015, 02:53

OP means that while evocable equipment, mutation abilities, etc. normally get assigned to (f), (g), (i), (j), and so on, draconians should have (f) reserved exclusively for their natural breath weapon. In other words, do not let (f) get occupied by some evocable ability. Nagas basically have this already because their breath weapon becomes available at level 1.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 8th October 2015, 05:08

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 4
archaeo, milski, Rast, tasonir

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 11th October 2015, 04:22

It's in

Return to Game Design Discussion