FR: Shields of Reflection reflect Petrify

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 2nd October 2015, 09:40

FR: Shields of Reflection reflect Petrify

The very myth around which reflective shields was first introduced the mirror shield was used to reflect the image of Medusa so that she would be turned to stone. Yet in crawl, shields of reflection can't recreate their most iconic ability.

Petrification shouldn't be blocked by normal shields, it should just be a special case for reflection shields to perform.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 2nd October 2015, 10:38

Re: FR: Shields of Reflection reflect Petrify

While I do think this works thematically, there are two major (related) reasons I can't really see it being adopted:

1) The devs aren't fond of exceptions that complicate the game, particularly when there isn't a whole lot 'gained' for them. I doubt this would significantly affect the decision of whether or not to use a shield of reflection - not when there are already a myriad of ways to resist, avoid or deal with petrification/petrifying monsters, and petrification itself isn't overly common to begin with. Basically, it'd be a minor perk to shields of reflection, but it wouldn't really add any new decisions to the game.

This is the kind of exception that's often described as "NetHack-ish", and with good reason - NetHack actually has a very similar exception: Medusa's petrifying gaze is one of only two gaze attacks that can be reflected (the other being floating eyes'). Except in NetHack it's actually semi-meaningful, since Medusa's gaze is an instadeath, as opposed to merely a disabling effect.

2) Implementing this would be kind of ...weird from a technical standpoint. SH and EV actually work somewhat similarly, in that they compare the monster's 'to-hit' number, put through a formula (different for each), against the player's SH or EV (also put through a formula). What do you use for the to-hit for petrification? It's a hex, so it always hits - which by the formulas for SH would mean that you could never block it. You could maybe use something like the monster's to-hit with a melee attack, but that would be yet another weird exception. Basically, any way you implement this is going to be a weird kludge, and again something the developers tend to avoid.

For this message the author ion_frigate has received thanks:
Rast

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd October 2015, 16:12

ion_frigate wrote:While I do think this works thematically, there are two major (related) reasons I can't really see it being adopted:

1) The devs aren't fond of exceptions that complicate the game, particularly when there isn't a whole lot 'gained' for them. I doubt this would significantly affect the decision of whether or not to use a shield of reflection - not when there are already a myriad of ways to resist, avoid or deal with petrification/petrifying monsters, and petrification itself isn't overly common to begin with. Basically, it'd be a minor perk to shields of reflection, but it wouldn't really add any new decisions to the game.

This is the kind of exception that's often described as "NetHack-ish", and with good reason - NetHack actually has a very similar exception: Medusa's petrifying gaze is one of only two gaze attacks that can be reflected (the other being floating eyes'). Except in NetHack it's actually semi-meaningful, since Medusa's gaze is an instadeath, as opposed to merely a disabling effect.

2) Implementing this would be kind of ...weird from a technical standpoint. SH and EV actually work somewhat similarly, in that they compare the monster's 'to-hit' number, put through a formula (different for each), against the player's SH or EV (also put through a formula). What do you use for the to-hit for petrification? It's a hex, so it always hits - which by the formulas for SH would mean that you could never block it. You could maybe use something like the monster's to-hit with a melee attack, but that would be yet another weird exception. Basically, any way you implement this is going to be a weird kludge, and again something the developers tend to avoid.

Simple: Shields of reflection always reflect all gaze attacks, 100% of the time, this would make them still only slightly not as bad as they are now :)

Also, didn't Perseus use the reflectiveness of his shield to kill medusa by looking at her in it indirectly, so he could hit her with his sword without dying? I seem to recall the "reflect her gaze back at her" thing being totally a video game meme.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 6
bel, duvessa, jason0320, Laraso, Sar, yesno

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 2nd October 2015, 17:49

Siegurt wrote:Simple: Shields of reflection always reflect all gaze attacks, 100% of the time, this would make them still only slightly not as bad as they are now :)

We would need to decide what is a "gaze" attack, and flag them as such. Currently there are three spells with "gaze" in the name: Paralysis Gaze (giant eyeball), Confusion Gaze (golden eye), and Draining Gaze (OCS, ghost moth). Basilisk petrification, for example, is blocked by grates and other monsters, unlike those three spells.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 2nd October 2015, 21:42

I never thought of shields of reflection as mirror shields. Not the same thing.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 4th October 2015, 04:54

Siegurt wrote:Simple: Shields of reflection always reflect all gaze attacks, 100% of the time, this would make them still only slightly not as bad as they are now :)

I fear no eyes of draining now.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 24th October 2015, 13:16

Simple: Shields of reflection always reflect all gaze attacks, 100% of the time, this would make them still only slightly not as bad as they are now :)

How about a new unrand: Mirror Shield, shield with slight enchantment and -stealth(shiny things attract eyesights) or -EV(mirror is heavy) with a better chance of reflecting normal range attack and the effect of reflecting all gaze attacks.
15 runes wins: DECj^Vehumet
Cip: DsCj^Vehumet

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 25th October 2015, 05:24

Wahaha wrote:I never thought of shields of reflection as mirror shields. Not the same thing.

this
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 28th October 2015, 07:02

FR: shields of reflection reflects god wrath to your enemies!

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th October 2015, 07:51

FR: shields of reflection confuse/paralyze monsters on hit. Flavour text: "(monster) reflects on the meaning of life".

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 3
all before, bcadren, Wahaha

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 29th October 2015, 14:38

Sar wrote:FR: shields of reflection confuse/paralyze monsters on hit. Flavour text: "(monster) reflects on the meaning of life".

or it just makes the player-character depressed as he reflects upon the gravity of his situation
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Return to Game Design Discussion