Two tweaks: Orcs and Hunters

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 16:07

Two tweaks: Orcs and Hunters

Tweak one is a QoL tweak:

Hunters start out with the main weapon assigned to 'a', ammo assigned to 'b', and a short sword assigned to 'c'. This seems utterly baffling to me given that you are likely to set the short sword to 'b' as your very first action in the game for quick swapping. Why not just have it start on 'b'?

Second tweak is a race balance one:

Orcs, in general, are one of the jack-of-all-trades races- great fighting states, tolerable magic, and good invo. Yet, they have a massive aptitude for Axes that forces them heavily towards that weapon. Meanwhile, Minotaurs are the far more aggressive melee race- one less aux slot, but a counterattack ability. Since they are far more of a brawler race, wouldn't it make more sense for them to be the Axes race, and preserve Orcs as the generalist melee race?
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

For this message the author TeshiAlair has received thanks: 2
byrel, njvack

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 16:09

Re: Two tweaks: Orcs and Hunters

As I see it, Mi are "generically good melee race" and Orcs are "generically good melee race + bits and pieces of old Mountain Dwarves".

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
nago

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 18:09

I approve of both points. I'll take care of the first one when I get a chance, unless I forget. I'll shop the other one around the other devs to see what they think.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 19:28

Minor point: the melee weapon should, I think, go in as 'a' and the bow as 'b'. Especially early, you're going to be smacking things more than you will be shooting them.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 23:16

That also handles Throwing the same way.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 11th September 2015, 16:09

I don't really like varying weapon aptitudes on normal sized races. Weapon choice is pretty interesting as it is and weighting it doesn't really seem like a good tweak. Merfolk being a "find water and polearm-kite" race is okay but I dunno, are Mi or HO really better off by being disinclined to use e.g. maces?

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks:
Sar

Return to Game Design Discussion