New portal idea: haunted forest

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 27th May 2011, 13:40

New portal idea: haunted forest

The idea is reusing the labyrinth portal in an alternative fashion, with trees instead of walls, possibly adding mist or fog and/or reducing the LOS to avoid seeing too much across the trees. Wall features can appear as rock megaliths.

I find it an interesting environment to develop the idea of tree-folk (treants) creatures. Using a "7" symbol, you can find ideas around them here : https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:brainstorm:monster:plants

Since spriggans inhabit the current forest, I consider worth enough to provide an alternative version of a hostile forest with a less presence of treants compared to the spriggan population but being potentially more dangerous individuals.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th May 2011, 19:34

Re: New portal idea: haunted forest

I think the Forest Branch is currently on the back burner until Spider gets finished. Once Spider gets promoted to full branch status, Forest might replace it as a timed portal.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 17:31

I do no object anything about the spriggan forest; I like it as is, but I imagine it less creepy than a haunted forest. I was thinking on reusing some characteristics of the labyrinth: amnesia and map slight changes, and applying them to a different kind of forest.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 17:39

I kind of like the idea- a different thematic skin for the labyrinth to keep it interesting. We kind of have to make the point that it's a forest maze clear in game though, or the minotaur at the end becomes less thematically appropriate.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 29th May 2011, 01:18

I wasn't thinking it would be extended.

Rather- you enter a labyrinth portal, and then on the other side, there's a random roll to determine the type of labyrinth. Stone? Forest? Etc. It would be a cosmetic change to the portal. Well, at least for tiles players. A maze will kind of look the same in ascii no matter what you say the walls are made of.

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
Roderic

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 29th May 2011, 01:52

Flavourwise you'd want a different monster at the end of a forest maze. Say a Red Queen or a Cheshire Cat. The classical Minotaur lived in a constructed labyrinth.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 29th May 2011, 12:23

The problem with a forest maze is that you can just put on rF and burn it all down.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 29th May 2011, 12:53

mageykun wrote:I wasn't thinking it would be extended.

Rather- you enter a labyrinth portal, and then on the other side, there's a random roll to determine the type of labyrinth. Stone? Forest? Etc. It would be a cosmetic change to the portal. Well, at least for tiles players. A maze will kind of look the same in ascii no matter what you say the walls are made of.

Only if you change the tile appearance of the wall -it's fine to have different skins for the labyrinth-, but I was thinking on its nature.

In that case the trees let see through, making the maze structure easier than the labyrinth, but it can be handicapped using reduced LOS ( a dark forest ) or some areas with fog. I considered as a new branch/portal similar to labyrinth only using some gimmick like the variation of the path, the amnesia or even adding (abusing of) teleport traps. Haunted forests are prone to let you completely lost :twisted: .

The ability to burn the trees can be compensated either: a) presence of treant monsters that show when you begin to burn trees or b) these trees are so wet (because of the misty environment) that cause a fire is rather difficult .

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 29th May 2011, 13:06

Grimm wrote:Flavourwise you'd want a different monster at the end of a forest maze. Say a Red Queen or a Cheshire Cat.

Or a Frozen Jack Nicholson

For this message the author asdu has received thanks: 2
galehar, Grimm

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2011, 12:48

Grimm wrote:Flavourwise you'd want a different monster at the end of a forest maze. Say a Red Queen or a Cheshire Cat. The classical Minotaur lived in a constructed labyrinth.

and to populate it with pink flamingo's and playing cards?
A troll caster is a hybrid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2011, 14:34

Flamingoes actually, but yes.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2011, 03:04

Galefury wrote:The problem with a forest maze is that you can just put on rF and burn it all down.

ADOM's solution was flavorful: if you try this, every tree in the forest becomes a hostile monster.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 11th June 2011, 07:48

theropod wrote:
Galefury wrote:The problem with a forest maze is that you can just put on rF and burn it all down.

ADOM's solution was flavorful: if you try this, every tree in the forest becomes a hostile monster.

And spriggans pop out and spam you with hexes.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Return to Game Design Discussion