Antique pricing

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 17:35

Antique pricing

Antique shops sell you IDed items for a massive surcharge, and unIDed for very cheap. I feel this should be reversed - if you don't know what's what you have no choice but to pay whatever they ask. This is better flavour, but also better gameplay: an item that you haven't seen before is more likely to be useful to you.

We could also have normal shops surcharge you for anything with the (unknown) flag.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 17:49

Re: Antique pricing

an item that you haven't seen before is more likely to be useful to you.

I don't believe that to be true. I would say an unidentified bit of equipment is less likely to be useful, and an unidentified consumable is approximately as likely to be useful (possible more or less likely depending on what you have identified so far)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 17:53

(Also I believe the 'flavor' is that the shop keeper doesn't know what it is either, and hence is just charging you an arbitrary value based on its base type)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
archaeo

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 18:23

The current antique shop design prompts you to gamble your money sooner, because once you ID the item in question its cost will shoot up. Your proposal would encourage you to wait until the item is ID'd to purchase it, because the price will plummet.

It would also provoke the question, "why can't I use a scroll of ID on the item in the shop before buying?"

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 18:46

Siegurt wrote:
an item that you haven't seen before is more likely to be useful to you.

I don't believe that to be true. I would say an unidentified bit of equipment is less likely to be useful, and an unidentified consumable is approximately as likely to be useful (possible more or less likely depending on what you have identified so far)

If it's a ring, like a ring of protection from fire, it's not very useful if IDed (because that means you already have one). Similarly, your first blinking scroll is way more useful than your second.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 19:03

Sure, but part of the reason you pay less for an unidentified item is because you have to ID it yourself, presumably. That first blinking scroll you mention is extremely useful when the shopkeeper IDs ?blinking for you, but if the shop is just selling it unidentified, you'll either have to read-ID it or spend an ID scroll on it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 20:11

archaeo wrote:Sure, but part of the reason you pay less for an unidentified item is because you have to ID it yourself, presumably. That first blinking scroll you mention is extremely useful when the shopkeeper IDs ?blinking for you, but if the shop is just selling it unidentified, you'll either have to read-ID it or spend an ID scroll on it.

Also it's equally likely it's blinking and random uselessness, so it's *average* usefulness (prior to IDing it as blinking) is worse.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 20:29

This should never change because otherwise you can't buy a scroll of acquirement for 20 gold.

More seriously, the reasoning by Lasty above is good.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 20:57

Lasty wrote:once you ID the item in question its cost will shoot up

Huh! I'd never noticed that.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 21:05

What do unid boots cost these days? Those used to be a no-brainer.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 21:44

njvack wrote:
Lasty wrote:once you ID the item in question its cost will shoot up

Huh! I'd never noticed that.

Yeah. I had no clue the prices actually CHANGED. That'll change my play a bit some games.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Return to Game Design Discussion