FR - remove interruptions caused by Poisoned status

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 20:15

FR - remove interruptions caused by Poisoned status

The specific interruptions I'm referring to are the ones that occur when you try to memorise a spell or change armour with no enemies around. Up comes a 'You feel sick' message, and the desired action has to be repeated.

If I'm missing something then tell me, but I can't see anything interesting in this effect, it seems to be merely a petty irritant.

For this message the author Moanerette has received thanks: 2
le_nerd, Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 20:33

Re: FR - remove interruptions caused by Poisoned status

That message came up because you took poison damage.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 21:03

Are there situations where the projected poison damage is so incorrect that the player will actually die? It seems like the game should only interrupt you if that's likely to happen.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 22:00

archaeo wrote:Are there situations where the projected poison damage is so incorrect that the player will actually die? It seems like the game should only interrupt you if that's likely to happen.

It's not poison damage specifically that's interrupting, it's any source of damage whatsoever.
take it easy

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 22:26

Sure arrhy, I realize that. I'm just saying there's a difference between interrupting memorization because an enemy is hitting you, and interrupting it because of poison damage you know won't kill you.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 22:26

To make it clear I thanked OP because I recently was annoyed with situation when I had 150+ current HP, was poisoned for about 5 HP (so I would still 140+ HP) with no monsters in LoS and my attempt to learn a spell was interrupted. No, it wasn't Cure Poison if it matters.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 23:33

Supported. Its high time that the absurdity of current interrupt/non-interruptions is ended. There are many convolutions:

I can finally start [w]earing armour and get a prompt if a monsters hits me "you want to stop wearing this armour to react?" This is good.

If I learn a spell and get hit, I get a forced, no-choice interruption. This is just mildly annyoing.

If I eat a ration, I just keep eating it until I die. This is bad.

If it were possible to make the prompt-response standard I'd be soo happy.

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks: 3
Rast, rockygargoyle, Sandman25

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 23:58

archaeo wrote:Are there situations where the projected poison damage is so incorrect that the player will actually die? It seems like the game should only interrupt you if that's likely to happen.

It could be possible that you are not "lethally poisoned" but get down to say, 1 hp, or 5 hp or whatever. Do you wish to not get interrupted in this case?

Generally, in response to OP, I don't see what is wrong with mashing 5 before you memorize a spell.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 00:39

bel wrote:It could be possible that you are not "lethally poisoned" but get down to say, 1 hp, or 5 hp or whatever. Do you wish to not get interrupted in this case?

Generally, in response to OP, I don't see what is wrong with mashing 5 before you memorize a spell.

Sure; if I know that I'm going to live through poison, I don't see why the game should interrupt me because I'm memorizing a spell while I'm waiting off poison.

And there's nothing wrong with healing fully before memorizing things. But if we want to require players to do that, we might as well just make it so that you can't memorize spells if you're injured at all.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
Sandman25

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 03:20

Undocumented, but try:

Code:
interrupt_armour_on -= hp_loss
interrupt_armour_off -= hp_loss
interrupt_drop_item -= hp_loss
interrupt_memorise -= hp_loss
interrupt_butcher -= hp_loss
interrupt_bottle_blood -= hp_loss
interrupt_vampire_feed -= hp_loss
interrupt_multidrop -= hp_loss
interrupt_macro -= hp_loss
interrupt_travel -= hp_loss

(there are also interrupt_run and interrupt_rest; but for those, the documented runrest_safe_poison along with a runrest_ignore_message is likely sufficient)

I think you need lua to make it care about the amount of the HP loss, total HP, and amount of poisoning. See dat/clua/runrest.lua for an example of this (that's how runrest_safe_poison is implemented).

If someone came up with some Lua that is easier to customise (comparable to runrest_safe_poison), has reasonable defaults, and is compatible with other settings, it could probably become a default. One possibility would be a "safe_poison" that generalises runrest_safe_poison by applying to other interrupt types.

Edit: I do notice that c_interrupt_activity only (in dat/des/userbase.lua) allows only one hook function per activity type. It would be nice to allow multiple hooks per activity type, so that users can customise further without having to override the default hooks or do tricks like saving and calling the old function. But I suppose that's orthogonal to the problem of providing better defaults.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 03:28

Hm, what happens if I'm trying to memorize cure poison while lethally poisoned, so I can cure my poison and not die (I know, edge case, but that would be an infuriating way to die.)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Rast

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 08:52

Memorizing regeneration as well, and maybe maybe vampiric draining.

Return to Game Design Discussion