Doors

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 02:51

Doors

Suggestion: When attempting to close a door if there's an item in the way; instead of printing an error message and failing, you get a message (it would take {foo} extra turns to close the door as you have to pull the items out of the way); where {foo} is min(number of items, 3). This is specifically to allow closing a door while there's a corpse in it; for places like volcanoes; or for making it less likely to have trash wander up to you while 5ing, etc.

I understand why we can't pick up corpses (carrying between floors makes a big balance difference to necromancers) but not really why we can't apport them. [Apport then Anim Skele in the middle of a battle doesn't sound that good.] And the latter hurts a lot of non-necromancer.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 07:14

Re: Doors

Your proposal would save the player some time. But why not just allow doors to be closed when there are items on the square?

For this message the author all before has received thanks: 2
duvessa, njvack

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 07:38

solution is obv to allow corpses to pile up into objects that block movement and/or los

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 19:42

How about a "kick" command, like in Nethack? (But unlike in Nethack, it doesn't "thump" on corpses; indeed, you use it to move a corpse you can't carry around) Maybe call it "shove" to be clearer.

Wouldn't be a bad thing either to allow players to "shove" a monster one square away.

It seems like this should depend on strength and weight - the latter not implemented - but how is the decision whether an elephant tramples you back handled? You might use the same method?

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 10th August 2015, 23:17

I find it really annoying when I open a door, step through and a centaur starts shooting me. If I try to back out through, I can't close the door because there's an arrow there... And if I pick up the arrow, the centaur will shoot me again, causing another arrow to be on the floor. It's really annoying in those cases since it's so clearly illogical.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 02:48

Just allow the player to reach for items in a 1 tile radius, including corpses. This action only moves the item towards your tile, it doesn't pick it up.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 05:28

bananaken wrote:Just allow the player to reach for items in a 1 tile radius, including corpses. This action only moves the item towards your tile, it doesn't pick it up.

This makes the "powerful item on a permanent teleport trap" vault kind of trivial free loot, and I'd rather not special case/remove that vault because it's really fun.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 05:30

or what if the character could just close doors, how about that

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
hannobal, Rast

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 05:55

duvessa wrote:or what if the character could just close doors, how about that

Not realistic enough.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 07:36

i think the best i had was a blowgun needle preventing me from closing a door, now that's quite something.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 09:43

Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

For this message the author TeshiAlair has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Hurkyl, ydeve

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 10:37

milski wrote:
bananaken wrote:Just allow the player to reach for items in a 1 tile radius, including corpses. This action only moves the item towards your tile, it doesn't pick it up.

This makes the "powerful item on a permanent teleport trap" vault kind of trivial free loot, and I'd rather not special case/remove that vault because it's really fun.

You can make reaching work by simulating the character going to the chosen tile, picking up the item, and going back to the original tile in 10 auts (or make it scale with the character's movespeed), this way it carries all the pros and cons of going to the tile where that item is (including triggering traps or being affected by clouds), except you're not targetable until after the reaching action is over, so stuff like the yaktaur-shooting-at-a-door scenario wouldn't happen.

Closing doors with an arbitrary pile of items on them is another simpler alternative, I wouldn't mind this either.

While we're at it, even allowing apportation to work on corpses/skeletons would improve the situation tbh

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 19:31

Blocking a door would take a large, durable item dropping such that it wouldn't be naturally moved out of the way by the door closing. Even people that fight zombies in doorways aren't thick enough to let them fall like this.

Remember when Bilbo and the dwarves couldn't close the door on a bunch of orcs because there was a hand axe lying on the ground in front of the door? Then they yelled at Bilbo to grab the axe but when he went to do it an arrow missed him and now the arrow was lying on the ground in front of the door? And this kept happening, but then the orc shooting ran out of arrows and they barely got it closed in time?

I can see corpses remaining an issue, although it's a stretch. But it needs to be special-cased for missile weapons.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 19:41

whacking killer fucking bees with an halberd

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 00:39

I bet somewhere, out there, there's a guy with a rusty yet efficient halberd stashed, waiting only a wage on a internet forum, or someone doubting his virtual honour on beating to death some bees
We only need to find him, and we then will have a video proving that's possible
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 01:39

Sar wrote:whacking killer fucking bees with an halberd

His example was from the hobbit, not really a call for crawl to be like real life. An arrow or a small weapon stopping a door from closing is kind of lame in any fantasy story, which crawl kinda represents, although I suppose how much story it is depends on the player. To me it's a long story about a guy who pressed tab a lot...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 02:17

Well to be fair these are killer bees that are so large that their corpses block doors from closing, so maybe they are like the size of small ponies or something. I could see trying to smack something size with a halberd.

Also "shetland sized killer bees" is my insane clown posse cover band.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Rast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 10:21

Is there any reason enemy projectiles couldn't continue past the player, like when the player shoots with f instead of .? Sure, they would sometimes hit other enemies behind the player, but it would reward positioning, which is a good thing.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 13:41

They already do that, but if they hit you they stop on your tile.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Rast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 17:37

For true realism, pointy projectiles which hit you should be added to your inventory.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 17:43

Rast wrote:For true realism, pointy projectiles which hit you should be added to your inventory.

I would like to get swiftness-like movement penalty during several turns after being hit with arrows. Also you should pass a turn to get the arrows into inventory ("You carefully extract 3 arrows from your body and put them into quiver, your HP has decreased by 3").

Return to Game Design Discussion