Remove butchering functionality

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 14:45

Remove butchering functionality

Let's remove butcher functionality.
It servers no other purpose except forcing player to press button 'c' a lot.
To compensate,

A) have monsters drop chunks on death instead.

Corpses will still generate normally for necromantic purposes.
Chunk generation rate should be about half what you can get now by butchering all corpses.

This should work beautifully with autoexplore and auto-eat - you'd never have to butcher anymore, and press e only to eat during battle or if you're out of chunks and need permafood.
It could be combined with tasonir's "chunk goldification" proposal.
https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17266

Edit: Alternatives B and C can be ignored, A is the main proposal here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B)
Alternatively, remove chunks functionality completely and force players to eat/drain corpses directly from ground (autoexplore should do this of course, visiting nearest edible corpse and eating automatically.)
Pros: No butcher, no chunks in inventory
Cons: More backtracking (should be no problemo with autoexplore, might result in increased turncounts and lower scores with autoexplore, but autoexplore is bad for turncounts anyway)

C)
Remove chunks and don't allow corpse eating - give monsters dropping edible chunks % chance to drop pizza instead (should be smaller chance than chunk generation because it's permanent).
Replace mutating chunks with extra drops of potions of mutation.
Merge beef jerky and royal jelly to pizza for flavour reasons (because well, pizza) and saving inventory slots.
Pros: No butchering, no chunks in inventory
Cons: More permafood, should not be problem if droprate is balanced

Vampires would require some sort of special treatment in all cases of course.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Alternatives B and C can be ignored, A is the main proposal here.
Last edited by hannobal on Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author hannobal has received thanks: 2
asdu, duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 15:07

Re: Remove butchering functionality

C was already tried, it was basically the same as the game going foodless (Which would be fine by me!)
A makes some weird assumptions regarding necromancy and chunk generation. As a NaFe, having 1/2 of the amount of chunks in the game would certainly have an impact, and the fact that I could sometimes make zombies and get some chunks really doesn't offset that.
B doesn't sound too terrible, but then it doesn't gain much either.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 15:27

Yeah on A the rate should ne adjusted of course, half was just an example what it could be. Probably should be more like 90% of current corpse rate i guess. Options are in preferred order, A to C (there is not much downside in A, compared to current state).

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 4th August 2015, 02:49

Option D:

Corpses are no longer butcherable. Monsters drop chunks as well as corpses on death. Something can be worked out for vampires.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 4th August 2015, 04:10

ydeve wrote:Option D:

Corpses are no longer butcherable. Monsters drop chunks as well as corpses on death. Something can be worked out for vampires.
That is identical to option A...

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 4th August 2015, 04:17

Option A sounds good to me, chunks could be re-flavored as "Perishable rations" or something similar (since getting a monster dropping chunks and a corpse is kind of weird...). Changing the rate that chunks spawn strikes me as unnecessary.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 4th August 2015, 04:18

Me likey B.

The "con" is moot, since autoexplore already backtracks so much on its own.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 4th August 2015, 04:24

reaver wrote:(since getting a monster dropping chunks and a corpse is kind of weird...).
well in crawl you can whack an orc with a toilet brush and a pool of blood appears 20 meters away, so i have no trouble believing that it makes some chunks too

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 4th August 2015, 04:27

What if every time you killed something you just passively got some satiation, no items, no actions, just something died, your hunger meter goes up now.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
all before

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 4th August 2015, 04:49

I pick option E, Bernie Sanders removes food from Crawl on his first day in office, and nobody has to butcher anything, or eat anything, ever again, because food is dumb. #BurningForBernie

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 4th August 2015, 08:50

reaver wrote:Option A sounds good to me, chunks could be re-flavored as "Perishable rations" or something similar (since getting a monster dropping chunks and a corpse is kind of weird...). Changing the rate that chunks spawn strikes me as unnecessary.

please this
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 15:44

how about adding autobutchering (or at least an option for it) to autoexplore? could be every edible corpse, or just when you don't already have chunks in your inventory.

For this message the author emikaela has received thanks:
Sandman25

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 16:04

emikaela wrote:how about adding autobutchering (or at least an option for it) to autoexplore? could be every edible corpse, or just when you don't already have chunks in your inventory.

This is already doable with a lua rcfile, but it's annoying and wastes turns/piety because the heuristic a human would use is pretty hard to write down and formalize. If whether to butcher something or not is never interesting, why make the player do it at all?

Siegurt wrote:What if every time you killed something you just passively got some satiation, no items, no actions, just something died, your hunger meter goes up now.

This is what I really want, but perishable rations would go a lot of the way there.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 08:55

1) Remove butchering. I don't care how. Having to backtrack to already rotten corpse or butcherong a pile of N corpses is incredibly annoying, especially on webtiles where you have to deal with lag. Give some satiation (that doesn't go Full and beyond) every time you kill something edible.

2) Make Makhleb scream 'Double kill!', 'Ultra kill!!' whenether you kill something every turn.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 14:41

kuniqs wrote:2) Make Makhleb scream 'Double kill!', 'Ultra kill!!' whenether you kill something every turn.

Do it. Xom should probably do it too.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 15:02

kuniqs wrote:1) Remove butchering. I don't care how. Having to backtrack to already rotten corpse or butcherong a pile of N corpses is incredibly annoying, especially on webtiles where you have to deal with lag. Give some satiation (that doesn't go Full and beyond) every time you kill something edible.

2) Make Makhleb scream 'Double kill!', 'Ultra kill!!' whenether you kill something every turn.

I had always pictured makky saying "fatality" in the moral combat voice.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 15:40

Siegurt wrote:I had always pictured makky saying "fatality" in the moral combat voice.

Moral combat was the most boring game. It was all like "You stole! Repent!" and you had to hit the repent button. And if you accidentally committed gluttony or wrath "Fatality! Deadly sin committed!"

For this message the author dowan has received thanks: 3
all before, Arrhythmia, rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 20:32

dowan wrote:
Siegurt wrote:I had always pictured makky saying "fatality" in the moral combat voice.

Moral combat was the most boring game. It was all like "You stole! Repent!" and you had to hit the repent button. And if you accidentally committed gluttony or wrath "Fatality! Deadly sin committed!"

I hear it is zin's favorite game though

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
dowan

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 21:51

Finish him.

The only problem with mortal kombat on PC was that the keyboard took a pounding.

(Apologies for random farting in GDD. To OP's point, I don't feel butchering is too bad, but would obviously like removal of the small amount of tedium that exists. So support.)

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
dowan

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 11:32

I edited the original post to emphasize solution "A", and added link to tasonir's "goldify chunks".
A is the main proposal, because it doesn't have really any drawbacks compared to current situation.

Return to Game Design Discussion