olgreb's toxic radiance

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 23:03

olgreb's toxic radiance

Casting OTR always poisons the player in a way that bypasses rPois. The amount of poison is almost always inconsequential, but leads to lots of resting after fights which is very annoying.

I'd like to propose the following: OTR now deals direct damage to the caster rather than poisoning them. The amount of damage would be reduced by having rPois.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

For this message the author pubby has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 23:13

Re: olgreb's toxic radiance

I counter-propose that OTR just doesn't deal damage to the player at all, I don't think it needs it, and it's just a weird goofy mechanic that results in tedium but no risk.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 10
Arrhythmia, byrel, crate, duvessa, Lasty, nago, pubby, rockygargoyle, tedric, TeshiAlair

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 23:33

Toxic Radiance is really only useful for the Venom Mage that has it in their starting spellbook, and it is only useful until another superior form of attack is trained. If you can cast it, you also have Cure Poison for no additional skill investment. Toxic Radiance is a questionable spell to have a starting background designed around, but it isn't like Sting, Mephitic Cloud, and Venom Bolt justify the existence of a whole background.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 23:35

I also think that the self-poisoning of OTR is not too important. It can just go, and remove cure poison while you're at it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 00:17

KoboldLord wrote:it is only useful until another superior form of attack is trained.

I disagree with this part. It is a useful support spell when facing packs.

With MuVM I used
  Code:
Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 | 22-24 | 25-27 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
       Olgreb's Toxic Ra |       |       |       |    59 |    22 |    36 |    38 |    31 |    19 ||   205

With FoVM
  Code:
Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 | 22-24 | 25-27 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
       Olgreb's Toxic Ra |       |       |     4 |    11 |    48 |     5 |    32 |    18 |    48 ||   166

DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 14:11

I used it to kill caustic shrikes in depths, and I've found it useful vs giants and the entry party in V:5 before. It's a kind of cool spell from a player perspective, because you can get fairly creative with it's use.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Return to Game Design Discussion