Long Blades Proposal

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 25th July 2015, 21:45

Long Blades Proposal

There's still room to give Long Blades a special gimmick.

Of course, any such gimmick has to:
1] Not require e(v)ocation or excessive micromanagement
2] Have a meaningful tactical effect

I present the Gouge effect:
Damage dealt by Long Blades scales up based on portion of target HP missing, being underwhelming against full HP monsters and very powerful against wounded ones.

As a result:
Softening enemies up at range is unusually helpful for Long Blades users.
High-AC enemies may need a strong wand or spell hit for initial damage, but are then cut down pretty easily.
Monsters with Long Blades are an interesting situational threat, worth disabling or taking out first.

This setup makes Long Blades a big help for highly diversified characters, which are often less viable than more focused ones. Heavily melee-focused characters would still be better off with a less situational weapon. This would hopefully expand the space of viable characters a bit.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 25th July 2015, 22:33

Re: Long Blades Proposal

Long blades do have a gimmick: they cut hydra heads. Aside from that, long blades are just high damage weapons, competing with maces & flails and perhaps slightly better than m&f except for GC/GSC.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th July 2015, 22:36

I think one of the rules for weapon gimmicks is that they should be immediately obvious. When you grab an axe you notice that it cleaves people immediately. When you use a polearm... well, reaching interface is not optimal but you get what I mean. This proposal is "more damage in some specific circumstances", and it reminds me of M&F ignoring a part of AC and other similar proposals that were rejected.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 15:45

IMO the best way to distinguish long blades from M&F (the other weapon type that does not have a gimmick) would be to make M&F do higher damage, but special-case them to have slower minimum delay, similar to what is done with crossbows; this would naturally make M&F better against high AC.

For this message the author Jeremiah has received thanks:
Berder

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 19:06

The only thing wrong with the polearm interface is that you can't "v v" for instant joy. Everything else, practically, you can repeat the command to mean you mean it, but I guess "v" was already taken when this feature was added.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 19:11

Am I the only one who uses tab to attack with polearms?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Sar

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 21:39

I tab as much as possible when I use polearms, but often I avoid them because they can be a bit finnicky when vv is called for.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 22:03

I am probably the only one who never tabs except sometimes with polearms :)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to Game Design Discussion