Buff or Remove Exploding Ammo

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 08:12

Buff or Remove Exploding Ammo

I don't particularly care which; but either should be done.

According to learnDB it's 2d5 flat damage in addition to the original hit. Unsure if that's exactly right, but it's completely negligible damage versus nearly all targets after the AC reduction, comparable to a magic dart. That's for some reason as loud as a fireball. Might as well be "noisy ammo that always mulches" in it's current state; either just remove the brand (when an enemy throws it the message spam about it failing to hurt all the nearby plants is annoying anyways), or make it actually use throwing skill/base damage for the explosion instead of the very weak flat damage.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 5
all before, duvessa, nago, quik, Wahaha

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 09:16

Re: Buff or Remove Exploding Ammo

Just make the explosion damage bypass ac.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 12:13

It's normal ammo that NEVER MISSES, always mulches, makes noise, and has fireball targeting. The extra damage could be 0 and it would be worth using on occasion- bogarts behind summons, for example, or anything in the early game when you haven't trained launcher skill.

I'm assuming the full damage of the missile never misses. It seems that way to me, but damage is so swingy It is hard to tell.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 12:50

The only reason for exploding in its current form to exist was giant spores. Due to 1HP/high EV they were the perfect targets. Should be changed or removed (in favour of removal!)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 17:04

Exploding ammo is very strong early game, as jejorda2 says, but I don't think it's good for the game. Its purpose is filled pretty well by a wand of magic darts already. Plus, removing exploding ammo makes Hellfire more unique.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 02:30

KittenInMyCerealz wrote:Just make the explosion damage bypass ac.
The arbalest Hellfire's whole gimmick is it makes all ammo explode (2d5); but the explosion is hellfire instead of normal...so you just said make all exploding damage like hellfire and I'm going to say 'no' to that. Hellfire is great; but that's a bit too much of a buff...
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 02:41

Hellfire is 3d8 now.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 02:43

The arbalest Hellfire could use a buff. It seemed awfully weak when I used it against some draconians once. For instance, it was far inferior to penetration ammo with a normal arbalest. Plus it even has a downside (ammo always mulches) which is significant in the early game, and means you don't want to train xbows solely to make use of Hellfire, like you might do with the Storm Bow.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 02:54

I found it to be pretty strong and fun when I used it post-buff. Cool thing is that explosion part never misses if you shoot with . (also potentially tedious but still cool).

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 17th July 2015, 19:29

Just make the explosion damage scale with your weapon skill. Bam, no more "Strong early, useless later" dynamic.

For this message the author File200 has received thanks:
Rast

Return to Game Design Discussion