Randomize Rings of Magical Power

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 13th July 2015, 18:57

Randomize Rings of Magical Power

All the other rings that give a strict numbers boost (STR, INT, DEX, AC, EV) give a random amount; why don't rings of MP+9? Especially now that max MP isn't capped having a random spread of MP + {Foo} rings could be interesting for some characters.

Specific suggestion:

1 in 5 rings is bad; 75% chance to be cursed gives -(1+1d4) MP. (-2 to -5; equal spread).

The remaining 4 rings gives (3 + 2d6) MP. (5 to 15; weak weighting towards 9-11).

Additionally the randart property should give a random amount; it's very odd that only fixedArts give an MP value other than +9.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 9
Arrhythmia, dowan, duvessa, nago, quik, Sandman25, Sar, Sprucery, tedric

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 01:11

Re: Randomize Rings of Magical Power

An early cursed -3 weapon or ring of slaying-5 is crippling to a melee character, but they can still hit things, usually less effectively but occasionally as well as normal. An early ring of MP-9 would completely shut down spellcasting for a book background.

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks:
KittenInMyCerealz

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 01:26

They can still hit things!

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
duvessa, ololoev

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 01:40

Yeah, generally equip-ID'ing jewelry without ?RC in the early game can totally hose your character. This doesn't change that at all.

+1 to the OP!
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 01:59

Another caster nerf, then.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 03:00

Counterproposal:

Remove all randomness from all +stat rings other than rings of magical power, which continue to be non-random. All values are selected to be large enough to be relevant for some significant subset of characters for at least part of the game, so that a relatively unspoiled player can actually notice the difference in play without exposure to a game code formula. All non-artefact items that are purely useless are simply removed, including -stat rings. Pre-identify all such items and then remove the remaining faltering vestiges of item identification from the game.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 3
archaeo, duvessa, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 08:28

KoboldLord wrote:All values are selected to be large enough to be relevant for some significant subset of characters for at least part of the game, so that a relatively unspoiled player can actually notice the difference in play without exposure to a game code formula.

By that definition the values would be very large, I think.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Hurkyl

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 10:26

Yeah, +2 or even +4 stat rings are just like comfort blankets. A +8 stat ring will change your character. (I think it was a +8 Dex shield that I am recalling fondly.)
+3 AC/EV rings make a difference at low levels and should probably stay.

But just like FR++ is a nice find on some artefacts, MP++ or MP+++ could be a nice addition to the game.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 09:24

Hurkyl wrote:An early cursed -3 weapon or ring of slaying-5 is crippling to a melee character, but they can still hit things, usually less effectively but occasionally as well as normal. An early ring of MP-9 would completely shut down spellcasting for a book background.

with -5 slaying on D1-5 i don't think you'd survive any encounter at all
Spoiler: show
accidentally thanked

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 15:01

Have had this happen, did survive. It also sucked, would not reccomend.

E: grammar
Last edited by Siegurt on Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 15:28

KoboldLord wrote:Counterproposal:

Remove all randomness from all +stat rings other than rings of magical power, which continue to be non-random. All values are selected to be large enough to be relevant for some significant subset of characters for at least part of the game, so that a relatively unspoiled player can actually notice the difference in play without exposure to a game code formula. All non-artefact items that are purely useless are simply removed, including -stat rings. Pre-identify all such items and then remove the remaining faltering vestiges of item identification from the game.
I think you can be for both randomization and removing useless. STAT+ 5-10 is relevant to any character (maybe not worthy of a ring slot without additional properties [randart] but a relevant change. Stat+ 1-5 is trash regardless of when you find it. This is kinda why I said MP +5-15 and intentionally didn't list rings 1-4; because unless it's extremely early, enough MP for one more magic dart or IMB wouldn't be that relevant. Course we could go the other way...make rings of magical power +15-25 ish...so if you use multiple, you could be a conjurer without having to channel...but...
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 15:51

bcadren wrote:
KoboldLord wrote:Counterproposal:

I think you can be for both randomization and removing useless. STAT+ 5-10 is relevant to any character (maybe not worthy of a ring slot without additional properties [randart] but a relevant change. Stat+ 1-5 is trash regardless of when you find it. This is kinda why I said MP +5-15 and intentionally didn't list rings 1-4; because unless it's extremely early, enough MP for one more magic dart or IMB wouldn't be that relevant. Course we could go the other way...make rings of magical power +15-25 ish...so if you use multiple, you could be a conjurer without having to channel...but...

Stat +1 is useful if you find it when you're don't already have 2 rings.
Dex + 3-5 can give decent ev, depending on your current dex, dodging, and armor.
A stat + 10 ring is always going to be relevant, unless it's int + 10 and you're a berserker with sustab or something.

I like the idea overall, just a few nitpicks on the relative usefulness of +stat rings.

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 16:28

What's odd is that while gloves of dex and str always give a fixed, positive value of the respective stat, rings INEXPLICABLY don't! Crazy! I find that so ODD.

Why don't we change rings so that they always give the same positive value of str or dex?? Or even better, what if gloves of str and dex gave random ass values that could even be negative?! Cool gameplay, imo!
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

For this message the author mps has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 18:12

I'd rather see Str+, Str++, Str-, and Str-- properties, where each + or - was always worth the same number (5-8, but 6 is probably my vote) than see all possible numbers on gloves.

In the same way, I could go for rings of magical power that were MP-, MP+, and MP++ where the effect was double the current effect. But I don't want to pretend that choosing between a +5 INT ring and and +6 INT ring is meaningful, or that a +14 great sword of protection (DEX -2) would get treated differently from a +14 great sword of protection (DEX +2.) Numbers that are too small to matter don't matter, and numbers whose differences are too small to matter don't matter.

Stats could probably all be divided by 3 or 6, have their influence in formulas raised proportionally, and increase that much less frequently, with the game becoming clearer as a result. Stat gains could happen only at XP levels 9, 18, and 27 and feel as important as demonspawn mutations or draconian colors.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 18th July 2015, 22:54

It'd be cool if you had a ring that allows you to use hit points as magical power after you run out of MP. A painful decision, to be sure! :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th July 2015, 22:56

There's sublimation of blood already.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to Game Design Discussion