Deep Dwarf Wand

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 17th July 2015, 22:18

Deep Dwarf Wand

Currently deep dwarves spend their own MP to recharge their wands. The mechanism seems to limit how people play them as most players tend to just got for a few gods that provide healing. Also, one can go through a few charges as damage piles up. I am proposing for discussion that recharging wands could cause drain or stat drain instead. It could even be a very large drain to limit it being overused but at least it would save from permanently losing MP or from endlessly vampiric draining easy monsters to heal.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th July 2015, 22:22

Re: Deep Dwarf Wand

My first reaction was "nooo, it must be permanent, it would be too OP otherwise!", but you know what, it's already too OP, and nobody cares about a couple of points of MP. Getting really heavy drain would probably be more significant, especially in the early game. Reminds me of how Ru powers work.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 17th July 2015, 22:47

Since I haven't said it in a while:

Take away their starting wand and the stupid recharging ability. Change Slow Healing 3 to Slow Healing 2 (You do not heal naturally when monsters are visible).

I don't care about speedrunners.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th July 2015, 04:05

taking away slow healing 3 takes away the entire point of the race, you might as well remove them (but i think the entire point of the race is irrevocably stupid in crawl, so i would be happy with that)
it would be like making nagas normal speed, giving octopodes 2 ring slots, or letting demigods worship gods
taking away the wand and the recharging ability should absolutely happen though

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 18th July 2015, 17:05

Remove non-healing and damage shaving, reduce their HP and change their name to Mountain Dwarves.

For this message the author Jeremiah has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, duvessa, mkraemer, Mulzaro, nago, rockygargoyle

Return to Game Design Discussion