Please stop generating items under plants.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 17:56

Please stop generating items under plants.

Problem:
Mostly prominent in lair, valuable items on autopickup like gold, scrolls, ammunition etc gets generated under plants. Current behaviour is to get a message after pressing o --> "level explored, could not reach some items" . Then one has to manually search for the items in question, travel there, destroy the plant etc. Boring+tedious.

Solutions:
The easiest would be to no longer generate items under plants.
Also possible: generate a message on the spot, while standing beside the plant "there is an item under a plant nearby." This still leaves the manual destruction of the plant, but takes away the search.

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks: 6
duvessa, nago, Pollen_Golem, rockygargoyle, Sar, Sprucery

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 18:05

Re: Please stop generating items under plants.

I did not even know that the way to find out if some items were generated under plants is to simply press o and see it the message "level explored, could not reach some items" pops up.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 18:07

It would also help if the HD and AC of plants changed over time...so it wouldn't take so long to hack through them early in the game...

Code:
plant (P) | Spd: 0 | HD: 10 | HP: 43-70 | AC/EV: 10/0 | plant, unbreathing | Res: magic(immune), poison, drown, neg+++, torm | XP: 0 | Sz: small | Int: brainless.

is insanely robust at lair time.

Even the strongest enemy at the time is nowhere near that defense level:

Code:
komodo dragon (l) | Spd: 10 (swim: 60%) | HD: 8 | HP: 31-56 | AC/EV: 7/8 | Dam: 34 | amphibious, cold-blooded | Res: magic(40), drown | XP: 360 | Sz: Large | Int: animal.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 18:31

Pollen_Golem wrote:I did not even know that the way to find out if some items were generated under plants is to simply press o and see it the message "level explored, could not reach some items" pops up.

Note that the message comes up only if the items in question are ones you would auto-pickup with your current auto-pickup settings
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 18:33

Also, are we sure this actually happens? I don't recall ever seen an item I didn't put (throw) there under a plant, is it possibly a new bug or something?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 18:49

Firewood should never be randomly generated. What purpose does putting 500 plants on lair level serve other than annoying the player?

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 18:50

I don't recall it in my last few games but it has been there since at least 0.13. Could have been fixed recently and I wouldn't know.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 19:42

Nah, I just had it happen in trunk on CDO, hence the post. 49 gold or something. And it has existed since at least 0.10, I remember getting a necronomicon after having entered lair for the very first time and thought it was super cool to get this mighty book under a plant, like it was a hidden treasure.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 19:58

duvessa wrote:Firewood should never be randomly generated. What purpose does putting 500 plants on lair level serve other than annoying the player?
the positioning game with plants is different than the positioning game with rock, stone or trees; in that you can see through the plants and enemies can eventually destroy them to get to you. The lair placement of plants is WAY too random for this to actually work well, but that is a real reason for plant placement.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, byrel, Rast

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 20:35

duvessa wrote:Firewood should never be randomly generated. What purpose does putting 500 plants on lair level serve other than annoying the player?

Fedhas

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 20:38

oh i see, lair needs plants because it isn't easy enough without them and the most overpowered god in the game isn't good enough without them

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 20:57

The god of the dungeon's plants doesn't make much sense if the dungeon doesn't have any plants.

Plants aren't really a problem or something that you usually have to think about at all - unless you're looking for a chokepoint in which case they're useful. Stop generating items under them, and maybe prevent them from entirely blocking off areas so you have to cut them down, but keep the majority of them.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, rockygargoyle, Sar, Sprucery

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 01:19

Berder wrote:Plants aren't really a problem or something that you usually have to think about at all

... unless you are trying to zap something and the autotargetter decides to try and zap through the plant instead.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 06:36

Berder wrote:The god of the dungeon's plants doesn't make much sense if the dungeon doesn't have any plants.
cheibriados is the god of deliberation but the dungeon doesnt have any deliberation in it
qazlal is the god of tempests but the dungeon doesnt have any tempests in it until qazlal makes them
so i think fedhas can be the god of plants, and have an ability to make plants, without the dungeon being full of plants already

Berder wrote:Plants aren't really a problem or something that you usually have to think about at all - unless you're looking for a chokepoint in which case they're useful.
"plants aren't disruptive unless you have better tactics than a mosquito, in which case they are"

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 07:00

About the OP, I am also not sure if this happens. The only time I can think of is when I shoot an arrow and it lands under the plant.

As to plants, Fedhas can of course take a nerf, but it would be weird if lair didn't have any plants. I have never had any problem with plants myself. They provide an interesting resource for Fedhas games, so why not?

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 07:47

Ok, I can confirm that this happens. Just found a meat ration under a plant.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 07:48

bel wrote:About the OP, I am also not sure if this happens.

It can be hard to notice, though. You can obliviously go through a few games where artifact weapons lie below plants. Autoexplore doesn't even want to pick them up.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 13:34

There's code to prevent this from happening -- specifically, items generation (which is basically the last step in level generation) prevents items from being generated under plants. I guess what's going on is that plants are generated on top of items that were originally placed in vaults, which happens in an earlier step.

For this message the author wheals has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, le_nerd, Rast

Barkeep

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 20:31

It may also be possible that plants are spawning on top of items after the initial map generation, something I didn't know happened until crate pointed it out on IRC following a player getting trapped in the Elf:3 vault when a mushroom spawned in the hallway as he was clearing it.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 22:31

Wait, normal, nonwandering mushrooms spawn? I had no idea.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 7th July 2015, 13:00

Fungi can spawn over time in Orc, Elf, and Swamp; plants can spawn over time in Swamp. (Lair gets its plants/fungi in level generation, in a step right after vaults are placed.)

For this message the author wheals has received thanks: 3
archaeo, Arrhythmia, Sar

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 18th July 2015, 22:51

Plants can be kind of cool if you start out as an air elementalist and the first level is ring upon ring of plants, surrounded by Nasty Evil Monsters like Hobgoblins, and you blast away through them with your shock spell and rest and take them out before they can reach you. But after that there tends to be a big what's the point factor. Maybe if snakes could hide in the plants and be unseen even with seeinvis, and attack you by surprise, it'd be interesting. Tree nymphs might move effortlessly and unseen through the forests and attack out of the solid trees, come to think of it. Once they attack, you should get to see them until they move again.

Return to Game Design Discussion