Sacrifice Eye

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 21:20

Sacrifice Eye

So I'm for the first time playing through a full, legit game w/ Sacrifice Eye, and I'm not loving it. I think the cost is balanced, in that I don't feel like it's making the game all that hard, though it was a little rough when I first took it in early Lair, and then had to try to actually hit black mambas. However, I'm not finding it much fun to play with -- it seems to mostly mean that I have to press tab way more than normal, sort of like wielding a quickblade.

So let me open this up for feedback: have you tried Sacrifice Eye? If so, was it fun? Did it change how you built your character? Would you choose to do it again?

If you haven't tried Sacrifice Eye, please don't post in this thread.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 21:29

Re: Sacrifice Eye

I tried on a summoner. Didn't seem to make much difference, but that was expected on that background.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 21:48

I tried it once, on a GrFi. Figured if I stuck to a fast, accurate weapon I'd be fine, and I'd picked up a lucky demon whip in Lair. It was...a disaster. Against the bigger enemies it didn't make too much of a difference (though slightly fewer hits made it harder, especially with an elec brand). Against evasive enemies - or even, really, enemies with a lot of health - it made me almost completely ineffective. I ended up giving up on a fight with the Enchantress and her group after I was forced to flee from them three separate times, despite buffing up for the fight. It didn't really change my build so much because at that point, I was sticking with the demon whip...but it was bad enough that I abandoned my intention of doing extended, stuck to a bare 3 runes, and avoided a lot of fights that I'd have otherwise taken on.

I think it might be a good choice for very specific character types - summoners, evokers, anyone who can survive long enough for area-effect spells to be available. Fire storm, freezing cloud, summons...yes. But if you're relying on direct damage - single-target conjurations, melee, ranged - then it's just not worth it.

So...I wouldn't say it's a "bad" sacrifice, per se, but like so many of the others, it's very character-dependent. Sacrifice Love, for example, means virtually nothing if you don't use summons, and Sacrifice Arcana can be an obvious choice if you're not going to use those particular schools. I suppose you could add in a delay to casting spells/reading scrolls to make it more widely applicable - and more fitting for losing an eye - but that might be a bit too crippling.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 21:53

you cant really melee enchantress pack without sacrifice eye either

my opinion is that crawl has too many things that ignore accuracy for an accuracy sacrifice to work, but then, i have the same complaint about many other sacrifices (hand being the most problematic one I'd say)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 22:49

Sacrifice an eye off every summoned creature, too!

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 2nd July 2015, 07:38

I agree. It makes Melee a total pain in the butt, and thus I never take it now. I did not try on magic chars.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 2nd July 2015, 10:10

http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/co ... 203350.txt
Sacrificing eye was unnoticeable, but I also used +11 quickblade.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 2nd July 2015, 10:25

I tried with a Tr - who sacrificed it on D:5. From my experience, despite the very good accuracy of troll's claws, the loss was very very noticeable, seriously impairing the melee . I'd probably never take it again on a melee char - and absolutely not with anyone going for a 2hander\inaccurate weapon.

If this is going to be a sac of the kind "I won't ever take it with some builds while it's kinda free for others" - like stealth \ armour \conjuration etc - I think it's quite ok. If it should be a more generic sac - like -ac\ev\hp etc - I think the penalties should be toned down, probably around a single amulet of inacc.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 16:41

Perhaps halve the accuracy penalty, and add the equivalent reading speed penalty as rank 1 blurry vision? This makes it more attractive to melee people and non-trivial to casters.
Last edited by Piginabag on Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 17:30

FeMo with sacrifice eye is the most tedious thing I've ever played.
Comborobin Admin

Return to Game Design Discussion