Should Mummies be able to use Blowguns?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th May 2011, 14:46

Should Mummies be able to use Blowguns?

I don't mind using them, but generally mummies are dry, undead creatures and breathing a puff of air to shoot a blowgun seems a bit... :?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 18th May 2011, 14:54

Re: Should Mummies be able to use Blowguns?

minmay wrote:They use their bladders.

That is disgusting

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 18th May 2011, 15:01

I'd say current flavor says mummies should be able to blow. Both player and monster mummies can shout, and be silenced, which implies that they can speak, or at least move some air around.

Gameplay wise, I'm not sure if mummies need a nerf or not. Taking away one more thing from them would make life harder, but on the other hand they can be ridiculously powerful when done right. Needles are mostly an early game survival tool though- taking them away would probably just further skew the early super fragility vs late game juggernaut thing mummies already have going.

Edit: pff, mummies don't have bladders. Obviously. I mean, why else can't they drink potions?

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
XuaXua

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 18th May 2011, 15:06

mageykun wrote:Edit: pff, mummies don't have bladders. Obviously. I mean, why else can't they drink potions?

They do have bladders. Just at home - in canopic jar :D

For this message the author Curio has received thanks:
Grimm

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th May 2011, 15:29

Currently, mummy, ghouls, vampires and grey draconians have the unbreathing property. Also statue and lich forms. The effects are

• immune to stinking cloud
  • resistance to water beam
  • immune to curare damage (which is only 2d6 and you're still slowed and poisoned).

The mutation description says that you do not need to breath, not that you can't. Otherwise, you'd also be immune to silence. Or unable to cast :?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 2
ibanix, mageykun

Return to Game Design Discussion