Remove *Tele

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 10th December 2015, 05:10

Remove *Tele

Removes the artifact property *tele and the bad side of common rings of teleportation. In general we are moving towards discouraging heavy swapping to eliminate tedium; yet this one artifact/common ring property highly encourages swapping it out. It creates heavy tedium to swap your ring after every time you use it.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 10th December 2015, 08:43

Re: Remove *Tele

We are moving towards discouraging swapping amulets at the moment. I don't think +tele alone on the ring would discourage swapping. It still would be optimal to keep more useful ring in place of +tele, swap when there is no stress and use a scroll in cases where swap delay would be critical.

I would rather remove +tele as I find inifite teleportation to have negative impact on extended gameplay. It's basically used to skip parts of tomb and speed up abyss exploration (and this doesn't make the ring a good item, but rather shows that these locations are designed poorly). Outside of that, +tele only encourages dangerous play and is mostly a tool of speedrunners. Furthermore, +Tele is rarely used in 3-rune game, yet everybody keeps the ring, as it is "optimal" (in case of sudden abyss trip).

There's possibly another option - move +*tele to amulet slot and add some penalty for removal/wearing. Distortion effect / long lasting dimensional anchor are the first ones coming to my mind.

For this message the author Bart has received thanks:
archaeo

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 10th December 2015, 15:00

There are a few effects with too many sources, and Tele is one of them. You get scrolls, wands and the evocable property. I feel like one of those three could be removed.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 10th December 2015, 15:30

I'd really rather see tele wand go before tele ring, but mostly just because Bart is right and I hate doing the Tomb:1 corridor.

I feel like there's an argument to be made that ?blink should just be made more common, ?tele and /tele removed, and =tele turned into "tele of some kind. I don't know if it's a good argument, but it's one I wouldn't mind seeing. An amulet of teleportation (boots of teleportation?) could afford to have more drawbacks than =tele has, currently; I really like Bart's dimensional anchor idea, for example.

Of course, that's a lot of complicated junk, whereas I imagine that just removing =tele and */+tele from generation is a pretty simple fix. I won't like it, but I think I have to admit it'd be "better for the game."

Return to Game Design Discussion