No multi turn eats

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 12:16

No multi turn eats

I read the developers disapprove of "alts"... why should you have to carry around a pile of loaves of bread AND a few slices of beef jerky because "it only takes one turn" to eat beef jerky? I mean, among other things that ought to be a good way to get a "You choke over your food --more--" message, but really, you can't tear the bread into bite size pieces ahead of time because it's, what, adamantine flavored? Just make it, I dunno, a small pile of bread sticks, slices of bread, whatever. Or make it a bread (5) and you use a charge each turn. (That's probably too complicated) There's not much real strategy or fun involved in keeping track of long and short eats in your inventory, though it is good for YASDs.

For this message the author Chicken has received thanks:
Blobbo

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 13:03

Re: No multi turn eats

If single-turn rations were about as rare as cure mutation potions, the distinction might be more meaningful. As it is, I don't worry about running out of food. I eat multi-turn rations any time I'm very hungry and don't have a chunk on hand and "save" valuable single-turn rations for combat eating.

I never actually get around to combat-eating single turn rations.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks: 2
duvessa, le_nerd

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 15:32

Rarely, it becomes relevant for me mid game when using conjurations. Usually i just hoover up all food and eat from my smallest stack (to reduce slots taken)

Late game I usually limit myself to two stacks, because 1 always runs out (just due to other types of food generating instead when I can't eat it), I often carry 1 ration and one fast eating stack, although I don't recall when the last time the fast eating stack made a difference late game.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 16:25

Highly in favour. The last time this topic popped up viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16232&p=221688#p221688 makes it seem like its mostly inertia that prevents changes. People really really like pizza and royal jellies, nobody cares about the difference between tactical/strategic food (1/multi turn food)

Eg. If someone wereto make a patch that turns all food into 1 turn royal jelly/pizza, keep fruit for fedhas, and *maybe* balance spriggans by ... reducing vegetarian bonus? I think that could be accepted.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 17:09

What if we only have three foods:
Pizza (unavailable to spriggans and mutated herbivores)
Royal Jellies (available to everyone but undead who don't eat)
Fruit l(less nutrition, powers Fedhas)

And corpses- for ghouls, trolls, kobolds, vampires, gourmands, and mutated carnivores.

I don't care how many turns it takes to eat them, or whether the nutrition is equal to current rations or current jerkies, or whether it is different between Pizza and Jelly. My gut says let eating always take one turn, and let Pizza and Jelly have the same nutrition, which is what they have now (not the larger value that rations give.)

Spriggan bakers bake pizza.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 17:46

I fear the perfect could be the enemy of the good here. I don't want to ask for an overhaul of the whole food scheme - I just want to replace any item that is a multi-turn eat with one or more items that are single-turn eats. You might tweak the overall frequency slightly. You might even have a couple of atmospheric messages. "You pick up a bread ration. It is enough to make 3 slices." But I think it's cute when you eat fruit and you get a message that it's a handful of blueberries, and consolidating all items into 3 or fewer inventory slots has some minor gameplay implications... I don't really see a need to change everything unless it's convenient.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 17:54

It's important that new players die due to eating large rations while being beaten to death. It's really all that keeps the rest of us going, to be honest.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Rast

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 20:57

FR: cast spells from wielded food

The spell will eat the food and use its nutrition to blast your enemies. Bigger rations increase spellpower more.

For this message the author Blobbo has received thanks: 3
dowan, Rast, yesno

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 14:28

So you need a full meat ration to make a meat elemental ... the best you can get from a jerky is a beefbat. (Bread elementals are probably somewhat more dangerous, as they get a toast attack; but what meat elementals do is probably unspeakable, at least from the point of view of the anti spider rape god lobby)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 8th August 2015, 02:37

Chicken wrote:stuff

I was about to thank this, then I finished reading it and changed my mind.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th August 2015, 03:52

Return to Game Design Discussion