Corrosion and Transmutations

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 28th May 2015, 10:45

Corrosion and Transmutations

In trunk (0.17) corrosion effects seem to come from all sorts of monsters now.

Which I don't have that much of a problem with except that their is very little option for felids and octopodes who generally rely on tmut spells. Especially felids since they don't have many slots.

What I don't understand is how or why corrosion should have an effect on something like dragon form (I keep meaning to read the status message as I'm curious as to what it says on repairing your scales).

If we are going to go with corrosion happening on fur and scales perhaps some of the tmut spells could have some rCorr?

EDIT - Apparently the status message is "Repair your equipment".. Which for a felid makes no since.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 28th May 2015, 13:30

Re: Corrosion and Transmutations

Corrosion doesn't depend on equipment or slots at all any more (see this and this), since it was mostly just messy and unnecessarily complicated, and an artefact of when corrosion actually permanently corroded individual pieces of equipment instead of applying a general debuff. The expiry message is now fixed too.

You can invent your own exciting flavour for how corrosion actually works now, I guess (eg "magic").

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 2
agentgt, Lasty

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 28th May 2015, 21:56

the victim is coated with a thin, sizziling film of alchymical reagents, amplifying blows recieved & slowing those dealt

it's canon now.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 28th May 2015, 22:26

You've been slimed!

Thanks for the quick expiry notice fix Marvin!

I can accept crawl physics (my question was more of the actual code mechanics which you answered :) ).

Those Rust Devils really should be worth some more XP or at least have a more dangerous color text. (Speaking of which I have always wondered why that breaks for zombie and skeleton centaurs ... ie red when they really should be yellow or grey at times).

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 28th May 2015, 22:44

agentgt wrote:Those Rust Devils really should be worth some more XP or at least have a more dangerous color text. (Speaking of which I have always wondered why that breaks for zombie and skeleton centaurs ... ie red when they really should be yellow or grey at times).

The danger text is based on their XP value vs your level. I've noticed the undead centaur thing too, as have others; haven't been able to replicate it for testing.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 14:19

Undead centaurs are sometimes undead centaur warriors. I'm pretty sure that fully explains it.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 2
and into, PleasingFungus

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 16:35

That would explain it!

On a related note, the way that derived undead keep their original creatures' stats (HD, etc) but lose the names is... kind of awful.

Probably that should be in a different thread, though. (Or just fixed. One of those.)

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 3
and into, Lasty, njvack

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 16:38

Maybe it can be like chunks, and there will just be "zombies" that act the same no matter what kind of corpse they come from. Bigger corpses make more zombies?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 16:40

Why do zombies keep their names provided HD is not displayed anywhere in the game? They don't inherit anything (HP/AC/EV/abilities/spells etc.) and basically there is no direct correlation for danger of zombie and the living monster.

Make it "Zombie 15" and "Zombie 22" (joke)

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 17:01

They inherit HP/AC/EV/attacks/speed from the source monster, but adjusted in a consistent way.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
Sandman25

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 17:02

PleasingFungus wrote:On a related note, the way that derived undead keep their original creatures' stats (HD, etc) but lose the names is... kind of awful.

Actually it's kind of fun. ;) Adds mystery when you see a derived undead.

Return to Game Design Discussion