Book of Tempests

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 18:42

Book of Tempests

While I understand there is a theme here, the Book of Tempests contains two extremely powerful spells, Shatter (Earth:9) and Tornado (Air:9), which is counter-intuitive since Earth magic counters Air magic making it extremely odd to use both spells.

I'd suggest moving Shatter out elsewhere and replace it with something else; was there a deliberate non-thematic decision made to include it?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 18:49

Re: Book of Tempests

I think Shatter has always been in it, and Tornado is a new addition.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 19:42

What's wrong with having a book that is useful to both air and earth casters?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 19:42

The Book of Tempests is already largely useless because few characters make it far enough to be able to cast high-level spells. Removing one of the super-spells from it would substantially reduce the number of characters for whom it wasn't a wasted item spawn. It's theme is mass destruction, and both spells fit that theme. It's actually fairly unusual for non-starting spellbooks to have more than a single spell worth learning for a given character, because themed spells are usually redundant. This is a good thing, because it means that a single lucky book spawn won't supply everything you could possibly want.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 19:51

It's also less useful because its lower level spells are ones that are commonly available elsewhere: Static Discharge and Lightning Bolt are in both Book of Air and Book of Conjurations (ice/air) and Fireball is in both Book of Flames and Book of Conjurations (fire/earth.)

Maybe some of those should be replaced by harder to find spells (maybe Delayed Fireball, Airstrike or Conjure Ball Lightning,) Although those spells are probably designed to be rarer, so it might not be a good idea to make them more common.

Return to Game Design Discussion