New Branch - Library

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 13:29

New Branch - Library

I was thinking that maybe a new branch can swap around with slime and tomb like shoals, swamp, and snake do.

Maybe a library with animated books that have resistances and spells based on what type of book they are. Scrolls could be animated too, and have librarians that throw books and such at you. The branch should be REALLY hard considering there are many books and you'd want players to have almost every spell in the game before entering anyway. Also it could replace tomb so that's another reason for it to be hard. Could also have scholars and scientists that are studying at the library, there's a lot of room for creative stuff here. I'd imagine the floors to be squared with lines of books that animate (or possibly metal "book shelves"?). As for number of floors... maybe 3? 5? Once the rune is grabbed the place could go up in flames and strong fire elemental enemies could try to kill you on your way out.

The main idea of the branch is to force players to fight many enemies out in the open instead of the luring them one at a time and knocking them off. Maybe have it so animated books can't leave the library? Lantern of shadows/scroll of fog could be really good utility here and will probably be easier for melee than casters because they have more hp and can tank better.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 17:29

Re: New Branch - Library

Maybe a 1-floor replacement for hall of blades?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 19:35

Sounds like a great place for Roxanne to be a guaranteed spawn, if you remove her from randomly appearing elsewhere. Good luck apporting the rune if she keeps blinking you away before you can see it.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th May 2011, 03:22

There could also be Dire Nerds.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 14th May 2011, 11:53

I don't think that a branch that gives you guaranteed access to 50+ books is a good idea, but I do think that the vaults could use another branch. I could see the library being cool, maybe with books in a vault at the end?

Return to Game Design Discussion