Prevent AD when no corpses visible

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 14:15

Prevent AD when no corpses visible

The game should not allow you to cast Animate Dead if there are no corpses or skeletons in LOS. Or at least offer a y/n prompt. It's boring to check every pile to see if a corpse exists or not.

For this message the author all before has received thanks: 2
Sandman25, Sprucery

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 15:01

Re: Prevent AD when no corpses visible

I had this proposal in a Mantis for a long time. I suppose, yours is much simpler.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 15:38

There is a small UI problem with this: namely, when there is a corpse at the bottom of a pile that you haven't stepped on yet. In that case, as far as you know, there is no corpse (even though statistically speaking you know there is an N% chance of there being one). As a result, after killing a pack of monsters you would have to either force-cast or step on at least one corpse first.

I think that, with Curio's idea to reveal which stacks contain corpses, that problem could be avoided. Revealing the full content of stacks has other interface problems: among other things, the player has to ctrl-x when in sight of the pile to find out what's in it, since the UI can't really show more than one item anyway and there would be no reason for autoexplore to visit the pile.

For this message the author neil has received thanks: 4
all before, and into, duvessa, rockygargoyle

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 20:40

neil wrote:there would be no reason for autoexplore to visit the pile.
Should there be a reason to explore to visit the pile? it seems like a fundamentally loathsome step to me. Also doesn't Control + F "corpse" already reveal this info or am I insane?
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 21:01

bcadren wrote:Should there be a reason to explore to visit the pile?

How else should the player find out what items dropped? I much prefer autoexplore visiting piles than having to ctrl+x every time after killing a group of monsters.

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks:
duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 19th May 2015, 23:03

Wahaha wrote:
bcadren wrote:Should there be a reason to explore to visit the pile?

How else should the player find out what items dropped? I much prefer autoexplore visiting piles than having to ctrl+x every time after killing a group of monsters.

Why Not Both?

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 20th May 2015, 00:04

bcadren wrote:Also doesn't Control + F "corpse" already reveal this info or am I insane?

I think ctrl-X or ctrl-F "corpse" does not show corpses on tiles where you haven't visited (or there are no other items besides the corpse).

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 21st May 2015, 03:14

I don't like the fact that (at least in tiles) an object (e.g. weapon) can block out the corpse. IMO a corpse should always take preference, visually, over any object the monster dropped when it died. In this case it would be easy to see if any corpses are in LOS, and OP's suggestion makes perfect sense.

For this message the author Pollen_Golem has received thanks: 2
all before, Arrhythmia

Return to Game Design Discussion