Ctrl-Attack while Confused

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 14th May 2015, 12:11

Ctrl-Attack while Confused

Noted today in trunk that we seem to have lost the ability to ctrl-attack while confused, it wants us to use actual directional attacks complete with the stumble risk.

Encountered this first in Orc right next to a deep water tile. Quite approved to be honest, de-trivialised the confusion. Remains to be seen how it affects the way I run branches like Spider, I've rather relied on ctrl-swings to stand and flail when confused lately. More to think about is always good, it was a little dull to just switch from tab to ctrl-swing spam and back as tarantellas hit me.

Since we just brought back confused cleave this is probably a good counter-weight, nice work whoever dropped that one in.
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 14th May 2015, 15:11

Re: Ctrl-Attack while Confused

That was MarvinPA, for the record.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 14th May 2015, 15:18

While the game prompts you to make sure you don't kill yourself, is "confusion + deep water = likely death on move" really all that desirable for any reason other than monster/player symmetry? I don't have a strong feeling either way, just curious.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 14th May 2015, 15:54

The reasoning for it wasn't anything to do with drowning in particular, as described in the commit message it was about making it less easy to repeatedly try to attack things while confused (the enabling of cleaving while confused drew attention to this since it's particularly problematic in that instance). When the change was being discussed in -dev I think it was suggested to just waste a turn and do nothing if confusion would make you drown, that's probably a thing that would be pushed if a patch was made for it.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 2
all before, archaeo

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th May 2015, 16:32

Yeah, confusion-stumble-near-water-or-lava should just act like walls, realistically, if I'm confused near deep water, with a critter nearby, and I can't cure the confusion, the only thing I can do now is hit . and wait to die or for the confusion to end (At least with control+direction you could make blind swings to try to hit the creature in question)

Perhaps a softer penalty than taking away control-attack while confused altogether would be:

1. If you move-attack it works as it does presently.
2. If you control-attack while confused you have a 1:8 chance of attacking in the direction you meant to attack, if that fails, you waste an attack-worth of AUT entirely (As in, no cleave, no hitting other random creatures which might happen to be nearby but in a different direction)

This encourages move-attack, while preserving control-attack as a last-ditch effort when want to do something that's safe, that has at least a chance of being productive.

It might require some alteration of the existing messages to convey that more clearly.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 15th May 2015, 18:32

As somebody who plays a lot of mummy I do not really understand the reasoning, that is why you want to make confusion more deadly. I always tought that less binary hexes (like slow or corona) work much better than the save or die versions. Maybe I missed something in the recent developments tough.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks: 3
asdu, dowan, duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 15th May 2015, 18:38

I agree, confusion was already usually 'drink curing or die', now it's just even more that way. Having a 1 in 8 chance to target the correct square was already pretty bad, now on top of that I might accidentally walk around? Why?

Barkeep

Post Friday, 15th May 2015, 18:46

Shortly after answering my question, MarvinPA actually just did what he talked about instead of waiting for a patch from someone else. Confused players treat lava/deep water as if they were walls now, and you just lose a turn instead of dying.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th May 2015, 19:15

Maybe give a penalty to accuracy while confused? Preferably a cruel penalty like setting accuracy to min(25%, original_accuracy).

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 15th May 2015, 22:22

Sandman25 wrote:Maybe give a penalty to accuracy while confused? Preferably a cruel penalty like setting accuracy to min(25%, original_accuracy).

Why?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th May 2015, 22:41

PleasingFungus wrote:Why?

I was trying to address "as described in the commit message it was about making it less easy to repeatedly try to attack things while confused"

Return to Game Design Discussion