Simple solution to the LLD griefer

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 3rd May 2015, 23:04

Simple solution to the LLD griefer

The LLD griefer who destroyed people's streaks is still active, as he just ruined my pending streak on my hyperberder account. I won a GrBe and partway through winning my second game, a MuVM, he jumped on lld with my account name and lost a different MuVM on d:1 (just by tabbing into a pack of jackals). I cannot continue with hyperberder knowing that any future streaks or good statistics will be destroyed by this griefer. Fortunately I only had 2 games so I can easily make a different account.

The list of people with streaks broken by the lld griefer that I know of are: theglow, keymashgrqeeg, afterglow, mikee, 78291, DrFeelgood, ManMan, Swiss, Zammy, Cybermg, hypermikee, TempMiBe, BOUMMMMG, Kalma, giftbbq, HLA, ThinkTwice, ldf, DenpaOtoko, pprentice, taxon, Dole, Dolde, randwin, VizerT, hypersage, argonaut, Sandman26, ttf, caco.

For Sequell stats this is not a big problem since you can simply change your nick mapping to exclude lld. The real problem is the CAO player stats page, accessible by clicking on someone's name in tileschat.

Anyway I have a simple suggestion. Treat the chronologically first account registered with a given name as canonical. If that account's rcfile for trunk has a list of servers appearing on a comment line, e.g.
  Code:
# Servers: cszo cao cbro

then ignore all games by that name on servers not listed, for the purposes of CAO player stats. If the rcfile doesn't have such a line then accept games from all servers.

This method would be much simpler than implementing a unified login.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, Rast, rockygargoyle, Sandman25, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 3rd May 2015, 23:10

Re: Simple solution to the LLD griefer

rip robins

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sar

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 3rd May 2015, 23:52

That would kill my account because someone registered the name "wahaha" on CAO before I started playing. They played zero games on that account.

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 3rd May 2015, 23:58

Wahaha wrote:That would kill my account because someone registered the name "wahaha" on CAO before I started playing. They played zero games on that account.

That's very strange. How do you know they didn't register it after you?

Anyway, it would probably have to determine the earliest account by the earliest played game, so in your case that wouldn't be a problem. It wouldn't be a problem anyway since their rcfile wouldn't have a line for Servers.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

For this message the author Berder has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, chequers

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th May 2015, 02:41

Berder wrote:
Wahaha wrote:That would kill my account because someone registered the name "wahaha" on CAO before I started playing.

That's very strange. How do you know they didn't register it after you?

I suspect he tried to register on CAO before he went anywhere else?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th May 2015, 20:00

Wahaha wrote:That would kill my account because someone registered the name "wahaha" on CAO before I started playing. They played zero games on that account.

If they started playing games suddenly, your account would already be merged with them. So you (theoretically) are in trouble either way. Of course it's quite likely they'll never return, but still.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 4th May 2015, 22:53

tasonir wrote:

If they started playing games suddenly, your account would already be merged with them. So you (theoretically) are in trouble either way. Of course it's quite likely they'll never return, but still.

That is, he's in trouble if no change is made, because he'd have no recourse after the other wahaha starts playing and messing up his record.

If this change was made, the first game played on a wahaha account would be by the real wahaha, so the real wahaha would have the canonical account. Then if the other wahaha starts playing, the real wahaha could simply exclude their name from the stats with an rcfile line, thus fixing the problem. Wahaha is only in theoretical trouble if the change is not made.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 4th May 2015, 23:15

The account with the most wins should be the canonical one.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 00:01

Rast wrote:The account with the most wins should be the canonical one.

The problem with this is that it would let good players or players with bots steal accounts from bad players. There is no problem if the canonical account is the one with the first game played.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 00:43

Berder wrote:

The problem with this is that it would let good players or players with bots steal accounts from bad players. There is no problem if the canonical account is the one with the first game played.

Do we actually suspect that would be a rampant problem?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 01:05

Siegurt wrote:
Berder wrote:

Well, idk someone might want to take over Zermako or some other famous awfulplayer. I wouldn't put anything past griefers.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 01:07

oh no, all those broken zermako streaks

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 01:20

what if somebody breaks his losestreak man

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 11:15

Siegurt wrote:
Berder wrote:

This is the internet we are talking about. So yes.

I can confidently state that all of my streaks have been broken by poor strategy and stupid decision making in the moment. And a little bit of bad luck.

Return to Game Design Discussion