Make silence aura stop autoexplore

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 4th May 2015, 04:55

Make silence aura stop autoexplore

Just splatted a XL27 DsVm with nightstalker that thought it would be a brilliant idea to walk several tiles into a silence aura only stopping when he spotted the silent spectre he knew was there in the first place. First time I felt I was robbed for pressing o instead of trudging over. (As the player I was unaware of the aura until my character stopped just a few paces from it before he got ripped up).

Seeing as even the most powerful character recoils in horror at the sight of a rat and refuses to autowalk anywhere near an ocklob plant, I feel the prescence of a silence aura might be at least mildly alarming, worthy of a Y/N prompt.

This isn't just a fringe case: its very possible for a caster to walk merrily down a hallway to find Mennas around the bend, even though they've been engulfed in unnatural silence for a good few turns. Don't got haste+telewand? You're almost definitely dead just for pressing o on wrong level.

i think this change supports design philosophy because the counter to it is tedium: slowly plodding around levels with silence aura creatures so you can very slowly deal with them. The toon will stop when they see a creature, why not when they see very definite signs there is a creature there (Ash radar already does this, for instance).

For this message the author Nobuharu has received thanks: 11
and into, Brannock, dowan, duvessa, nago, Rast, rockygargoyle, Sandman25, Sar, Sprucery and one more user

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th May 2015, 04:59

Re: Make silence aura stop autoexplore

Also halos, umbras.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 7
and into, Brannock, nago, rockygargoyle, Sandman25, Sar, Sprucery

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 4th May 2015, 13:11

Re: Make silence aura stop autoexplore

Yes, this is a long-known issue. Patches welcome!

Return to Game Design Discussion