Escape hatches having destinations marked and visible

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 00:06

Escape hatches having destinations marked and visible

This is not a big thing, but escape hatches might as well have something showing you where they end up. As it is today, the game remembers hatch destinations for you anyway, and you can see them when you use Ctrl+X. The biggest downside is clutter - another special tile or two per level - but there's tons of clutter in crawl anyway. What I imagine, approximately, for spring- and trap-door destination tiles:
Attachments
Escape_flap.png
Escape_flap.png (47.67 KiB) Viewed 2600 times
Landing_pad.png
Landing_pad.png (48.36 KiB) Viewed 2600 times

For this message the author Pollen_Golem has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, nago, Rast, Sar

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 01:43

Re: Escape hatches having destinations marked and visible

Can't you see the destination with X and ] or [ ?
Comborobin Admin

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 02:10

Exactly, so there should be no issue in taking the game's invisible marking (through X and ] or [) and making it visible.

For this message the author Pollen_Golem has received thanks:
Rast

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 03:49

The destination might be any kind of feature, so a large graphic like landing_pad might be too likely to cover up something important. An icon-like designator like escape_flap could work though. Not sure how one would show it in console: perhaps a different background colour, since we don't use those for very many things?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 05:48

There's a number of features of which there can be only one per tile: stairs, traps, shafts, portals, shops, water, lava, etc. I think The destination is one of them. If it is not (wtf devs?) then it can be easily forced to be one. Cover up something important - what? An object on the ground? Most items on the ground get obscured anyway, usually by monsters or other items.

In console it can be a staircase with an uninviting color (e.g. a purple "<" for a landing pad)

For this message the author Pollen_Golem has received thanks:
rchandra

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 06:36

Pollen_Golem wrote:There's a number of features of which there can be only one per tile: stairs, traps, shafts, portals, shops, water, lava, etc. I think The destination is one of them. If it is not (wtf devs?) then it can be easily forced to be one. Cover up something important - what? An object on the ground? Most items on the ground get obscured anyway, usually by monsters or other items.

In console it can be a staircase with an uninviting color (e.g. a purple "<" for a landing pad)

Misthanked. It shouldn't be on < since every other < is something you can press < on.

Does seeing where a hatch leads, while on the target floor (not the hatch floor) ever affect a decision? If I care about where a hatch goes I'm on the floor with the hatch and will use X ] if possible. Seems like a COME FROM statement.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 07:06

Well, suppose you peek down a set of stairs and see a landing pad in a corner with no monsters in sight. You go back up and continue clearing the level. If you see a trapdoor, you'll know it likely goes to a safe place.

I think most players avoid escape hatches while they're clearing levels, and don't bother triggering them afterwards, so the destination of an escape hatch typically remains unknown.

rchandra wrote:It shouldn't be on < since every other < is something you can press < on.

You might as well say that trapdoors shouldn't be > since all the other > let you come back up after you press >. :roll:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 15:16

Pollen_Golem wrote:I think most players avoid escape hatches while they're clearing levels, and don't bother triggering them afterwards, so the destination of an escape hatch typically remains unknown.

I trigger many of them because I do believe Auto-Travel uses them if the distance is shorter, but only if they've been pre-explored. This is why I try to "clear" every "convenient" up/down on each level. This should also help if auto-traveling on the Orb Run.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
dowan

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 1st May 2015, 00:53

neil wrote:The destination might be any kind of feature, so a large graphic like landing_pad might be too likely to cover up something important. An icon-like designator like escape_flap could work though. Not sure how one would show it in console: perhaps a different background colour, since we don't use those for very many things?

If and when we add this, I don't think it's critical to be able to show it in console; there are already other interface conveniences (e.g. easy display of monster statuses & weapons) that console doesn't have access to. As mentioned above, it's already possible for console players to view this through X]<[ and X[>], and that won't change.

Of course, I'm biased. ;)

Pollen_Golem wrote:There's a number of features of which there can be only one per tile: stairs, traps, shafts, portals, shops, water, lava, etc. I think The destination is one of them. If it is not (wtf devs?) then it can be easily forced to be one.

It's not at present, and it can't easily be.

We generate levels individually, not en-masse, so when creating a given level, we may not know the contents/layout of adjacent levels. (We generally know what's going on in the level above & don't know what's going on in the level below, but that's not always the case; it's possible to use shafts to 'skip' multiple levels, meaning that when ascending, the level generator knows the contents of the level below but not the level above). Given this, we can't pre-place 'landing pad' features, since we don't know how many hatches will be on the adjacent levels - if any!

You could suggest 'reserving' a fixed number of landing spots, but the main problem there is that the level generator uses escape hatches as a figurative escape hatch for the design. They're placed in otherwise-inaccessible areas, e.g. islands surrounded by deep water, diggable rock, etc, where the player would otherwise be trapped. You'd need to reserve a very significant number of escape hatches (conservatively, half a dozen per level, each way), which seems like it'd make a large and undesirable impact on gameplay. Plus, you'd still end up having to reject some levels for requiring 'too many' hatches... it's a huge can of worms for very little benefit.

e: and retroactively editing the level after later levels are generated, or after you actually use a hatch, is an even worse idea...

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 1st May 2015, 01:49

PleasingFungus wrote:
Pollen_Golem wrote:There's a number of features of which there can be only one per tile: stairs, traps, shafts, portals, shops, water, lava, etc. I think The destination is one of them. If it is not (wtf devs?) then it can be easily forced to be one.

It's not at present, and it can't easily be.

*good stuff*

You can't easily force a destination to land on a non-stairs, non-shop, non-trap location? As in 99% of the game's terrain?
You can make stairs slide for Xom's sake!
Come on guys, you've already figured out a way to make escape hatches NOT throw characters into lava and NOT go to sealed-off rooms.

PleasingFungus wrote:e: and retroactively editing the level after ... after you actually use a hatch, is an even worse idea...

OK, why? There are already things you don't notice until you go through them, or come nearby, i.e. some traps. They just "pop" into existence. So are traps also an even worse idea :?:

PleasingFungus wrote:end up having to reject some levels

So is that something currently practiced in level generation? If so, how often does a generated level get rejected?

Return to Game Design Discussion