Give Quarterstaff Option to Sk/Wr

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 04:46

Give Quarterstaff Option to Sk/Wr

A few versions ago, a slightly defining factor of Gladiators was the fact they were able to start with Quarterstaffs. The Quarterstaff is a very strong early game weapon boasting great stats: +3 acc / 10 dmg / 1.3-.6 delay. However, the introduction of upgraded weaponry for Gladiators and Fighters (Flail, Longsword, etc) makes this distinction minute. I believe Sk/Wr can benefit from having their weapon selection expanded to staffs because I do not think it steps on Gladiator's toes anymore.

There are obviously arguments for and against this suggestion. I will list considerations, but I do not necessarily agree or disagree with anything listed.

For:
1) Skalds or Warpers need a buff to early game melee and quarterstaffs can function as that buff.
2) Quarterstaffs are no longer necessary to differentiate the Gladiator so the basic staff type can be extended to other backgrounds.
3) The Quarterstaff offers an interesting choice between early game strength versus the availability of multiple incremental upgrades.
4) The lowest level of staves, Staffs, are no longer in existence, and the availability of starting with a staff should be increased.
5) The choice of staves as a weapon can be argued thematic for "hybrid" backgrounds.
6) A starting Quarterstaff limits the option of picking up a shield and this fact balances it with the other 1h starting weapons.

Against:
1) The choice of Quarterstaffs makes the background too powerful.
2) The choice of Quarterstaffs outclasses all available starting weapons except in the aspect of incremental upgrades.
3) The availability of starting with the "Staves" class weapon should be restricted to the Gladiator.

There are most likely arguments I have missed, but I think the benefits of adding the Quarterstaff as an starting option would benefit this background more than it would detriment.
Wir saufen, und wir sind noch da!

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 09:55

Re: Give Quarterstaff Option to Sk/Wr

I think having 'staff' back and making it a little better (so it is comparable to the others) could be interesting, but quarterstaff just outclasses the other weapons too well, particularly for a background that might not be _as_ melee as Gl tends to be. Wr/Sk are already really good on good melee races (possibly other races too, but I can't speak for that with my skill level), they don't need a better weapon.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

For this message the author rchandra has received thanks:
Abominae

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 22nd April 2015, 20:57

It seems to me that Skald and Warper aren't underpowered, but they have a steeper-than-average learning curve. Warper especially.

Warpers have serious advantages are in positioning and running away, which are used heavily by experienced players and overlooked by newer ones.
Skalds get a lot of short-burst melee power, so they benefit disproportionately from carefully initiated one-on-one fights.

They're both pretty squishy for melee backgrounds, so they require better judgement on safe fight vs. GTFO.

It seems like good design that backgrounds vary with respect to skill caps and complexity -- that keeps the game interesting for a wider slice of players.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

For this message the author Igxfl has received thanks: 2
and into, Arrhythmia

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 23rd April 2015, 09:14

Maybe another weapon could be added to staves - "Light staff" with less base damage (something around 6-8?) that could serve as startup staff weapon alternative for classes that have spear/short sword/hand axe etc.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 23rd April 2015, 09:40

Personally I don't like Wp because most the start book (save PProj) is defense/utility and in general in Early Game it's usually better to focus 'killdudes' meaning much of their starting stuff isn't really trained until later than other backgrounds for me. If I wanted defense with my killdudes I'd go AE or IE, instead. I still stand by thinking that Wr is better suited to be a ranged start than a melee one just for PProj being specifically Ranged and all the other spells being defensive (nothing specifically melee)

More on topic though... I'm not against bringing the basic staff back. (In fact I always forget the Staff of the Elements is an old type that doesn't exist anymore and not a Quarterstaff); but it does take away the one unique thing staves has...no 1H weapons.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 23rd April 2015, 10:23

I suppose the proposed startup staff could be two handed, it doesn't have to be exactly same as old "plain staff".

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 23rd April 2015, 15:03

Seriously? Quarterstaff + spectral weapon + shroud in early dungeon? The fact that you're allowed to choose spear already makes skald a very strong start. Quarterstaff would be insane.

re: Warper, I think this would be closer to reasonable, but early blink is also, like, pretty good. Quarterstaff is a ridiculously good start, probably too much even on a gladiator.
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

Return to Game Design Discussion