Bring back poisonous chunks

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 18:25

Re: Bring back poisonous chunks

plantaspoon wrote:IMO, low int casters should use Staff of energy more.

Felids can't.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 18:30

XuaXua wrote:

Felids can't.

One race has never been the tipping point in a systemic crawl change. Felids can be rebalanced.

For this message the author plantaspoon has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Rast

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 19:11

plantaspoon wrote:
XuaXua wrote:

Felids can't.

One race has never been the tipping point in a systemic crawl change. Felids can be rebalanced.

Obviously you weren't around when they got rid of Mountain Dwarves...
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 19:12

Most characters don't have staff of energy during lair or lair branches, if ever. Also don't say "low int" because about 20 int is not low.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Barkeep

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 23:35

Well, I've played Snake/Spider on hunger-intensive characters who lacked rPois before, and I had no food problems (greater naga's poison arrow, on the hand, was scary). Note that this is actually much worse hunger-wise than having rPois in the current trunk situation, as the former also meant a lot of constant 5ing off poison.

Berder and Sandman25: You do realize that significantly more chunks rot uneaten and disappear in the course of your average game than are actually eaten, right? And more corpses rot unbutchered than are actually cut up for food (because you already are carrying several chunks in your inventory)?

The math-based analysis presented upthread is extremely inapt.

For this change to have an effect, it would need to have reduced the total number of available chunks to less than the average surplus of uneaten chunks (rotten + those not obtained from butcherable corpses). For most of the game the change will not do this. For Lair/Spider/Snake and maybe Swamp, it is more likely that your surplus of chunks will be depleted, and so you will have to eat a bit more permafood. Which is exactly what characters without rPois have always had to do anyway. Somehow they manage not to starve!

I don't get why this was changed, really (seems a step in the wrong direction frankly) but it is not a balance issue. At all. I don't find food very fun (and I think we agree there) but this isn't going to influence game balance majorly. Even for "blasters" with relatively bad hunger costs for whatever reason.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, nago, Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 00:09

and into wrote:Berder and Sandman25: You do realize that significantly more chunks rot uneaten and disappear in the course of your average game than are actually eaten, right? And more corpses rot unbutchered than are actually cut up for food (because you already are carrying several chunks in your inventory)?

The math-based analysis presented upthread is extremely inapt.

For this change to have an effect, it would need to have reduced the total number of available chunks to less than the average surplus of uneaten chunks (rotten + those not obtained from butcherable corpses). For most of the game the change will not do this. For Lair/Spider/Snake and maybe Swamp, it is more likely that your surplus of chunks will be depleted, and so you will have to eat a bit more permafood. Which is exactly what characters without rPois have always had to do anyway. Somehow they manage not to starve!

That's misleading. It's not truly a "surplus." Many chunks go uneaten because you aren't hungry before they rot. I referred to this concept earlier in the thread. This is what happens:
  1. Blaster caster fights monsters with spells, becomes hungry or worse due to spell hunger and resting
  2. Caster needs to eat food before the next fight, since starting the next fight with "hungry" likely means he will starve during that fight
  3. Unfortunately, the fight that was just finished left no chunks
  4. Therefore caster must eat permafood. Caster eats a meat or bread ration, which puts him well into "satiated" - far above the bottom of satiated.
  5. During the next fight, caster does not become hungry, because the ration gave him a lot of nutrition.
  6. This next fight may produce edible chunks, which the caster butchers but cannot eat without gourmand. Then the caster rests and heads off for another fight.
  7. At some point before the caster becomes hungry again, the chunks rot.
  8. The chunks were wasted, but not "surplus" because the caster never had a chance to use them.

There are other major reasons for chunks rotting:
  1. If you kill lots of stuff at once, you can't eat it all. Some will rot and there's nothing you can do to stop that. Those chunks are again not surplus, but simply wasted without a choice.
  2. if you kill stuff in a dangerous area that you can't safely get to, the corpse will also be wasted without any choice. This includes multiple scenarios.
    1. killing things then being ambushed by more things you didn't know were there
    2. killing a few monsters out of a pack, without enough mp/hp to finish the rest of the pack
    3. Either of the above scenarios often happen in particular where your escape route is the stairs, so that chunks rot below while you rest on the level above
    4. killing things at edge of LOS, where your current location is safe but the edge of your LOS is not (frequently occurs in shoals and vaults5, among other places)

Really, I think chunks rotting simply because the player couldn't be bothered to butcher is a relatively minor reason for rotting, at least until you near the endgame. Hungry mages try to eat every chunk they can safely get their hands on.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 01:04

Berder wrote:
  • Therefore caster must eat permafood. Caster eats a meat or bread ration, which puts him well into "satiated" - far above the bottom of satiated.
  • During the next fight, caster does not become hungry, because the ration gave him a lot of nutrition.
  • This next fight may produce edible chunks, which the caster butchers but cannot eat without gourmand. Then the caster rests and heads off for another fight.
  • At some point before the caster becomes hungry again, the chunks rot.
  • The chunks were wasted, but not "surplus" because the caster never had a chance to use them.

What if:

• Bread rations give exactly as much nutrition as a chunk (and proportionally more spawn, to keep the average nutrition level constant). This simplifies it a little bit, since if you have normal metabolism and butcher a corpse after eating a chunk the turn you hit Hungry, you will be Hungry again before the butchered chunks rot away. You can therefore eat a bread ration at Hungry, butcher a corpse, and know you'll be able to eat a chunk produced.
  • Meat rations are much rarer and give much more nutrition - eating a meat ration at Satiated takes you to Engorged. The intent is that you can carry meat rations into chunkless branches as a caster and be guaranteed to have enough nutrition for a long, tough fight (i.e. Lair branch end vaults), but the average game has a very limited supply of them.
  • Insta-food probably doesn't need any changes. It would probably be ideal to consolidate them into one 'big' and one 'small' category, but it's not a big deal, and I like the flavor (heh) when eating pizza and fruits.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 15:30

I see no reason to make changes to permafood in order to address a "problem" that does not exist outside of Berder's imagination.

Chunks tend to last between a few fights. "Blasters" can generally take out multiple enemies at once, and until you get quite late into the game, relatively easy enemies are mixed in with harder ones. The easy ones can be taken out with melee or hungerless spells. So, in most branches, edible chunks can get you far enough.

Seriously—it is quite common to have to eat only a couple of pieces of permafood from D1 to D15. With any character. Regardless of whether you have found rPois.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, nago

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 17:28

Food is so damn boring. Please just remove it entirely and come up with some other way to irritate people who want to use magic a lot. I suggest a special item, like a vial of something, that they have to shoot up with now and then to get rid of contamination or sth. Hell, just generate more potions of cancellation and make contamination build faster and wear off slower. Problem solved. That'll give them some interesting decisions to consider.
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

For this message the author mps has received thanks:
acvar

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 18:12

And here i was under the impression that magic is balanced around foodcost of the spells but hurr durr i can't speedrun blasting lvl 6 spells with 5 levels in spellcasting so MORE PERMAFOOD PLZ

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 18:46

Let's get this thread back on topic. This issue is not about adding permafood. It's about the recent change that spoiled the food balance by removing many chunks from the game - and restoring the balance by undoing that change.

Here's what I predict. Provided the sample sizes are large enough, we'll see the following for non-mu non-sp:
1. more deaths by starvation compared to before the change, after lair1
2. lower winrate among vehumet or especially sif worshipers
3. lower winrate among vampires

All of these are bad. Starvation is the worst way to die because you can see it coming a mile away, but a high hunger character requires you to use a certain amount of food and there isn't much you can do to avoid that. So you just run out of food, with the sickening knowledge that doom is coming and little you can do to avoid it. It's very unfun. It's also bad to arbitrariliy penalize magic-centered characters, who are more interesting and diverse than simple melee bashers.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 18:52

Berder wrote:So you just run out of food, with the sickening knowledge that doom is coming and little you can do to avoid it.

that actually sounds really cool, and good. pushing the player to move fast, having to make snap decisions about whether or not to rest, etc.
take it easy

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 19:24

Arrhythmia wrote:
Berder wrote:So you just run out of food, with the sickening knowledge that doom is coming and little you can do to avoid it.

that actually sounds really cool, and good. pushing the player to move fast, having to make snap decisions about whether or not to rest, etc.

Since running out of food is an issue that only effects a narrow range of characters that probably aren't your best bet to win anyway, it doesn't sound interesting at all. You have the same decision to make, but now the answer is that it's a bad decision (more so, imo). (This is not to say I think there's a serious food issue here, just that if there were, it wouldn't actually be a good thing for crawl.)

Crawl actually already does a reasonable job of making you work with finite resources via consumables (I mean the ones that actually have interesting effects, not food). Food is a really tedious way to achieve that goal twice, yet somehow it manages not to. There's already a downside to resting too much: It reduces your score.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 19:26

Berder wrote: It's also bad to arbitrariliy penalize magic-centered characters, who are more interesting and diverse than simple melee bashers.

>It's also bad to arbitrarily penalize characters that blast through the game with overpowered ranged combat and solid escape options than simple melee bashers.

For this message the author KittenInMyCerealz has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 19:32

KittenInMyCerealz wrote:
Berder wrote: It's also bad to arbitrariliy penalize magic-centered characters, who are more interesting and diverse than simple melee bashers.

>It's also bad to arbitrarily penalize characters that blast through the game with overpowered ranged combat and solid escape options than simple melee bashers.

Blaster mages are not stronger than melee characters for any purpose other than clearing ziggurats...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 19:37

The balance for being a mage is that you can't cast your spells in heavy armor, that your physical stats are low which means your ev is low, that you need to train many different attacking skills instead of just 1 for a fighter which means your defensive skills are low, and also that you can only fight for a short period of time before your mp runs out. That's plenty.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
Rast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 19:52

and into wrote:Seriously—it is quite common to have to eat only a couple of pieces of permafood from D1 to D15. With any character. Regardless of whether you have found rPois.

I have a DrEE going that's somewhat hunger heavy, and he ate 114 chunks, 8 beef jerkies, 2 pizzas, a royal jelly, 5 bread rations, 3 meat rations, and 7 fruits just by lair8 - a lot more than "a couple of pieces," which supports my view that you don't play this kind of character a lot. He's not as hunger heavy as some of the characters that I'm thinking about though, because he's only using level 5 spells and not level 6 ones. Also, he's worshiping Veh, not Sif.

In addition, I'm a skilled player, so that means I am able to finish a lot of fights and eat the chunks afterwards, where a less skilled player would have to run away halfway through the fight and wouldn't be able to get to the chunks. This change really hits the less skilled mage players the hardest, creating the impression among those players that mages are impossible. That's not fair to them. If you look at recent mage games by less skilled players, you see they eat far more food than experts - more food than was available in my OgHu game.

and into wrote:Chunks tend to last between a few fights.

Not on hunger-heavy mages, they don't. My DrEE (who, as mentioned, was not super hunger-heavy) basically never had chunks left over from a previous fight in lair, and always had to either butcher what he just killed or eat permafood. The chunks just either rot while resting/exploring, or they just all get eaten immediately.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 18th April 2015, 23:59

Oh, screw you. I play magic-focused characters and also abyssal knights frequently (the latter in my experience can be even more hunger-intensive than most "mages"). I have (in effect) starved to death with one spriggan, and I also won one character who ascended with zero or almost zero food available, since I began playing in 0.5—I remember these well, precisely because such cases are so unusual.

Anyway, this argument is easy enough to resolve: Let's see if starvation suddenly becomes a serious issue for people. I seriously doubt it.

Or we can continue in the same vein, with you posting examples proving that, however good you are at winning the game, you apparently aren't very strong with the food management aspects of Crawl. (Note that you don't actually need to be particularly efficient with food management to be really good at winning the game, because food doesn't matter in the vast majority of cases).

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 00:13

I tend to get bored as the game drags on so I just exit the dungeon with lots of characters these days (and/or just do crate-crawl), but these are literally just 3 taken from the top 6 or 7 files in my morgue:

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.15.0-8-gb109cf8 (tiles) character file.

103024 a the Spry (level 15, 84/84 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Elf Earth Elementalist on Sept 28, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Sif Muna.
             Got out of the dungeon alive.
             The game lasted 01:42:07 (45926 turns).

a the Spry (Deep Elf Earth Elementalist)           Turns: 45926, Time: 01:42:07

HP  84/84        AC 15     Str  5      XL: 15   Next: 87%
MP  37/37        EV 25     Int 24      God: Sif Muna [******]
Gold 1384        SH  8     Dex 18      Spells:  9 memorised,  1 level left

[.......]

Skills:
 - Level 6.0 Fighting
 - Level 6.3 Armour
 - Level 15.4 Dodging
 - Level 6.0 Stealth
 - Level 5.3 Shields
 - Level 12.2 Spellcasting
 - Level 10.4 Conjurations
 - Level 7.4 Hexes
 - Level 6.3 Charms
 - Level 5.2 Transmutations
 - Level 10.6 Fire Magic
 - Level 2.4 Air Magic
 - Level 11.0 Earth Magic
 + Level 3.5 Poison Magic
 - Level 8.0 Invocations

[.......]

Eat: Chunk             |     4 |    12 |    13 |    31 |    85 ||   145
       Fruit             |       |       |       |     3 |    17 ||    20
       Royal jelly       |       |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
       Pizza             |       |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
       Meat ration       |       |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
       Bread ration      |       |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
       Beef jerky        |       |       |       |       |     2 ||     2

Code:

107977 a the Cruncher (level 16, 106/106 HPs)
             Began as a High Elf Fire Elementalist on Dec 20, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Got out of the dungeon alive.
             The game lasted 01:33:15 (48613 turns).

a the Cruncher (High Elf Fire Elementalist)        Turns: 48613, Time: 01:33:15

HP 106/106       AC 19     Str 13      XL: 16   Next:  1%
MP  37/37        EV 17     Int 24      God: Vehumet [******]
Gold 2005        SH  0     Dex 22      Spells: 11 memorised,  1 level left

[...]

Skills:
 + Level 8.4 Fighting
 - Level 12.3 Staves
 - Level 7.7 Armour
 - Level 8.9 Dodging
 - Level 2.1 Stealth
 - Level 12.0 Spellcasting
 - Level 10.1 Conjurations
 - Level 5.0 Charms
 - Level 4.4 Translocations
 - Level 10.0 Fire Magic
 - Level 10.3 Air Magic
 - Level 8.4 Poison Magic
 - Level 8.6 Evocations

[...]

Eat: Chunk             |     3 |    17 |    33 |    44 |    82 |       ||   179
       Pizza             |       |     1 |     1 |       |     4 |       ||     6
       Beef jerky        |       |     1 |       |     1 |     6 |       ||     8
       Meat ration       |       |       |     1 |       |     1 |       ||     2
       Fruit             |       |       |       |       |     4 |     4 ||     8
       Royal jelly       |       |       |       |       |     2 |       ||     2

This dude died earlier; damn volcano :(

Code:

8091 a the Nimble (level 11, 0/61 HPs)
             Began as a High Elf Fire Elementalist on Dec 18, 2014.
             Was an Elder of Nemelex Xobeh.
             Killed from afar by a red draconian (14 damage)
             ... with a searing blast
             ... in a volcano.
             The game lasted 00:32:20 (13575 turns).

a the Nimble (High Elf Fire Elementalist)          Turns: 13575, Time: 00:32:20

HP   0/61        AC 12     Str  7      XL: 11   Next:  5%
MP  25/29        EV 19     Int 21      God: Nemelex Xobeh [****..]
Gold 476         SH  0     Dex 18      Spells:  8 memorised,  4 levels left

[...]

Skills:
 - Level 9.3 Dodging
 - Level 6.7 Stealth
 - Level 8.0 Spellcasting
 + Level 6.3 Conjurations
 - Level 3.1 Charms
 + Level 5.8 Fire Magic
 - Level 3.2 Air Magic
 - Level 9.3 Evocations

[...]

Eat: Chunk             |     5 |     9 |    25 |     8 ||    47
       Beef jerky        |       |       |     1 |     1 ||     2
       Pizza             |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
       Meat ration       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1

Losing access to a fraction of those chunks in any of these games would not have been an issue. Even on "blasters" I routinely leave one entire type of ration (either bread or meat) on the floor, and I also do stuff like eat lots of fruit or jerky I just picked up, rather than move it around, even if I am not hungry. And I never (with the two exceptions listed above) have problems with running out of food.

EDIT: Also obviously I put a lot of time and effort into naming my characters.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 03:04

and into"into wrote:Losig access to a fraction of those chunks in any of these games would not have been an issue. Even on "blasters" I routinely leave one entire type of ration (either bread or meat) on the floor, and I also do stuff like eat lots of fruit or jerky I just picked up, rather than move it around, even if I am not hungry.

It's hard to say much about that since those are not complete logs. Did you have rPois? How far did you get? Why did you leave the dungeon instead of winning or dying? Which spells did you use, and how many times?

But I can tell you are eating large amounts of food. Your xl15 DEEE ate 145 chunks, more than my DrEE, and about as many chunks as less-hungry characters use for the entire game. Your xl16 HEFE used even more, 175.

And I never (with the two exceptions listed above) have problems with running out of food.

What were the exceptions? I'm not sure I follow. You sometimes do have problems running out of food?

Anyway, this argument is easy enough to resolve: Let's see if starvation suddenly becomes a serious issue for people.

That's not the only thing to look at because people may quit the game without starving, because the game doesn't have enough food for them. Or they may die to something other than starvation because they tried to get some risky chunks that they wouldn't have tried if they had enough food. Or they may simply be forced to use lower level spells and therefore die more often, as an indirect result of the food restriction. Or they may be forced to melee more often, possibly leading to death because their melee is weak. Or they may be forced to train more spellcasting to handle the food problem, weakening their character overall and leading to death. Therefore you should watch for the three things I predicted.
Berder wrote:1. more deaths by starvation compared to before the change, after lair1
2. lower winrate among vehumet or especially sif worshipers
3. lower winrate among vampires

Also - like I mentioned, newer players tend to use more food. So you shouldn't only look at whether people you know who happen to be skilled at crawl are doing OK, you need to look at the weaker players who aren't speaking up. They matter too; in fact, they matter more, since they're the ones most impacted by the change, and who could potentially be turned off of crawl if mages just seem too hard for them to play.

and into wrote:Or we can continue in the same vein, with you posting examples proving that, however good you are at winning the game, you apparently aren't very strong with the food management aspects of Crawl. (Note that you don't actually need to be particularly efficient with food management to be really good at winning the game, because food doesn't matter in the vast majority of cases).

So you're going to discount any evidence I present as simply me being not good at crawl, despite my record.

This is why I suggest looking at games by all players under the patch vs before the patch (post-meleebug), so individual player skill doesn't factor into it.
Last edited by Berder on Sunday, 19th April 2015, 03:39, edited 2 times in total.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 03:37

plantaspoon wrote:
XuaXua wrote:

Felids can't.

Felids are carnivores and probably are engorged most of the time. Granted they still can't eat poison chunks with this change, but they only have to go out and find something that drops 6 chunks to build up a ton of nutrition again.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 05:47

Berder wrote:
and into wrote:Or we can continue in the same vein, with you posting examples proving that, however good you are at winning the game, you apparently aren't very strong with the food management aspects of Crawl. (Note that you don't actually need to be particularly efficient with food management to be really good at winning the game, because food doesn't matter in the vast majority of cases).

So you're going to discount any evidence I present as simply me being not good at crawl, despite my record.

This is why I suggest looking at games by all players under the patch vs before the patch (post-meleebug), so individual player skill doesn't factor into it.

You were the one who assumed that I "don't play this kind of character a lot" and who has discounted the experience of many skilled players, repeatedly.

I didn't say you are bad at Crawl, I very explicitly said that you appear to be inefficient with the food mini-game, which (despite your unnecessary alarmism) is actually a very minor part of the game. Thus I said, in the very text that you quoted, that being not-so-great with food management doesn't really mean anything about one's overall skill (ability to win Crawl).

Of course that raises the question, "Why is there a food mini-game?" To which I would say—and I think we agree here—Crawl would be improved if food were cut out, with some other compensatory re-balancing (definitely to channeling, obviously, and possibly some other tweaking of MP costs vs. max MP at different levels, etc.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 06:06

and into wrote:You were the one who assumed that I "don't play this kind of character a lot"

Well, do you? You posted three half-completed mage games that all actually did use a lot of food. You quit two of them, died in the third.

and who has discounted the experience of many skilled players, repeatedly.

There are two sides to this debate, with highly skilled players on both sides, including myself. Like I said before, it's more important to need to look at how this affects less skilled players, who use more food than highly skilled players. If a novice player's experiences with mages are of starving to death seemingly inevitably, which is an extremely unfun way to die, that won't encourage them to keep playing.

Of course that raises the question, "Why is there a food mini-game?" To which I would say—and I think we agree here—Crawl would be improved if food were cut out, with some other compensatory re-balancing (definitely to channeling, obviously, and possibly some other tweaking of MP costs vs. max MP at different levels, etc.)

I would support removal of food and hunger, but I would not support any nerf to magic. It would not be in compensation for anything because in 0.16 food is not a major constraint on spells. A nerf to magic would be a loss for crawl. Magic is not overpowered, and it should be encouraged because it's more diverse and complex gameplay.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 06:20

Honest answer:

Food falls into the same problem that ammo does. NOTHING in crawl is scarce enough for scarcity to be an issue past early game. Closest I've been to starving are things like SpCj; FoEE (Using LRD early). But outside of some really bad combo (Heavy Conjurer of Gozag, etc.) you aren't going to have an issue of running out past early game. Running out DURING a fight actually is an interesting cost on mages though; at least it was when eating was like 4 turns of paralysis...

EDIT: Oh, I lied. I did starve to death once. CeHu got Malmutated into Vegetarian III and Fast Metabolism II. O_O; Glad Malmutate isn't THAT deadly now.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 06:24

Berder wrote:
and into wrote:You were the one who assumed that I "don't play this kind of character a lot"

Well, do you? You posted three half-completed mage games that all actually did use a lot of food. You quit two of them, died in the third.

Yes. I opened my morgue and posted the first three somewhat relevant cases. This resulted in two games that were relevant to the concerns you stated (paraphrasing: "if you do not have rpois by Lair you have to eat too much permafood"), and one that died before it completely fulfilled those criteria. All three ate very little permafood.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 07:03

and into wrote:
Berder wrote:

Yes. I opened my morgue and posted the first three somewhat relevant cases. This resulted in two games that were relevant to the concerns you stated (paraphrasing: "if you do not have rpois by Lair you have to eat too much permafood"), and one that died before it completely fulfilled those criteria. All three ate very little permafood.

"If you do not have rpois by Lair you have to eat too much permafood" is not what I said. Normally you have rPois by the time you clear Orc:4. You are a bit lucky if you get it by lair.

You chopped off the parts of your morgues that would have shown whether or not you had rPois, and also you chopped off the parts that would have shown what areas of the game you had actually completed, so they are of dubious relevance.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 08:05

Berder wrote:I have a DrEE going that's somewhat hunger heavy, and he ate 114 chunks, 8 beef jerkies, 2 pizzas, a royal jelly, 5 bread rations, 3 meat rations, and 7 fruits just by lair8

Okay, I took a moment to look more carefully in my morgue and found a few better examples of "blasters" without rPois who ate way less permafood than that. One of them is even a DrEE! I took out the "vanquished creatures" section of the first one in order to get under the 60000 character limit.

Code:

e the Cruncher (High Elf Wizard)                   Turns: 35153, Time: 01:19:47

HP  94/94        AC 16     Str  9      XL: 14   Next: 34%
MP  34/34        EV 21     Int 26      God: Vehumet [*****.]
Gold 1455        SH  0     Dex 16      Spells: 11 memorised,  6 levels left

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis .     a - +6 short sword "Keugga Hease" {freeze, rF+}
rCold  + + .     Clarity  .     p - +1 robe {rC+}
rNeg   . . .     rCorr    .     (no shield)
rPois  .         rRot     .     E - +0 helmet
rElec  .         Spirit   .     r - +1 cloak
SustAb .         Warding  .     L - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3}
rMut   .         Stasis   .     s - +2 pair of boots
Gourm  .                        J - amulet of rage
MR     +....                    S - ring of ice
                                w - +4 ring of protection

@: repel missiles, somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, fairly stealthy
A: no striking features
a: Renounce Religion, Evoke Berserk Rage

You are on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is extremely pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and seen 20 of its levels.
You have also visited: Labyrinth and Ice Cave.

You have collected 1455 gold pieces.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 a - the +6 short sword "Keugga Hease" (weapon) {freeze, rF+}
   (You took it off a human on level 9 of the Dungeon)   

It has been specially enchanted to freeze those struck by it, causing extra
   injury to most foes and up to double damage against particularly susceptible
   opponents. It can also slow down cold-blooded creatures.

It protects you from fire.
 b - a +2 quarterstaff of freezing
Missiles
 i - 33 stones (quivered)
 N - 3 throwing nets
Armour
 p - a +1 robe of cold resistance (worn)
 r - a +1 cloak (worn)
 s - a +2 pair of boots (worn)
 E - a +0 helmet (worn)
 L - a +2 pair of gloves of strength (worn)
Magical devices
 e - a wand of digging {zapped: 2}
 y - a wand of disintegration {zapped: 1}
 A - a wand of disintegration
 B - a wand of flame
 F - a wand of fire {zapped: 2}
 G - a wand of flame
 H - a wand of enslavement {zapped: 7}
Comestibles
 d - 7 bread rations
 h - 12 meat rations
 M - 31 fruits
Scrolls
 c - a scroll of amnesia
 o - 10 scrolls of teleportation
 t - 6 scrolls of recharging
 u - 2 scrolls of magic mapping
 v - 2 scrolls of blinking
 P - a scroll of enchant weapon
 R - 2 scrolls of fear
 X - 6 scrolls of remove curse
Jewellery
 g - a thin lapis lazuli amulet
 m - an uncursed amulet of warding
 w - a +4 ring of protection (left hand)
 I - an uncursed ring of flight
 J - an amulet of rage (around neck)
 O - an iron ring
 S - a ring of ice (right hand)
Potions
 f - 3 potions of brilliance
 j - 6 potions of curing
 k - 3 potions of haste
 l - a potion of magic
 n - 2 potions of resistance
 x - a potion of agility
 z - 2 potions of heal wounds
 D - a potion of cancellation
 K - a potion of porridge
 V - 2 potions of flight
Books
 q - a book of Flames   

Spells                             Type                      Level
   Flame Tongue                       Conjuration/Fire             1
   Throw Flame                        Conjuration/Fire             2
   *Conjure Flame                     Conjuration/Fire             3
   Inner Flame                        Hexes/Fire                   3
   Sticky Flame                       Conjuration/Fire             4
   Fireball                           Conjuration/Fire             5
Miscellaneous
 C - a lantern of shadows

Skills:
 - Level 8.0 Fighting
 - Level 14.0 Staves
 + Level 13.1 Dodging
 - Level 5.1 Stealth
 - Level 10.0 Spellcasting
 - Level 8.0 Conjurations
 - Level 3.6 Charms
 - Level 3.0 Summonings
 - Level 3.2 Translocations
 - Level 1.9 Fire Magic
 - Level 7.8 Ice Magic
 - Level 1.9 Air Magic
 - Level 1.1 Poison Magic

You have 6 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Ozocubu's Armour      Chrm/Ice       ######..     1%          3    None
b - Freeze                Ice            ####         1%          1    None
c - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      ###.....     1%          3    None
d - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           ######..     1%          4    None
e - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    None
f - Throw Icicle          Conj/Ice       ######..     1%          4    None
g - Mephitic Cloud        Conj/Pois/Air  ####....     1%          3    None
m - Searing Ray           Conj           ######       1%          2    None
n - Call Imp              Summ           ####....     1%          2    None
s - Magic Dart            Conj           ####         1%          1    None
x - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       ####..       2%          2    None

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (11/15)            Temple (1/1) D:6             Orc (0/4) D:9
   Lair (8/8) D:11         Shoals (0/5) Lair:6       Spider (0/5) Lair:4
  Slime (0/6) Lair:6     

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Dithmenos
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Qazlal
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
The Shining One

Annotations:
D:3 Grinder
D:4 aa's ghost, average HuFE
Lair:3 exclusion: oklob plant

Message History

T - a potion of poison
Drop what? (_ for help) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You drop a potion of poison.
You see here a book of Flames.
q - a book of Flames
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Move the cursor to view the level map, or type ? for a list of commands.
Returning to the game...
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Save game and exit?
Welcome back, e the High Elf Wizard.
Vehumet says: Let it end in hellfire!
Press ? for a list of commands and other information.
You are alive. You repel missiles. Your movement speed is average. Your attack speed is below average.
You are somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments.
You feel fairly stealthy.
Char dumped to '/Users/admin/Library/Application Support/Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup/morgue/e.txt'.

##..###   ##.####
 ##...##   #.#
# ###..### #.#
## ##...P###.#
.###......##.#
..#......###.#
........####.##
##.##..## #...###
 #######  ##....##
           ##....##
            #.@![.#
            ###.###
              ###

There are no monsters in sight!

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
--------------------------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1      | e, the High Elf Wizard, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 11/11 MP: 5/5
   714 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 17/17 MP: 2/7
  1450 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Call Imp
  1453 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink
  1496 | D:2      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 21/21 MP: 8/10
  1550 | D:2      | Noticed Sigmund
  1558 | D:2      | Learned a level 3 spell: Mephitic Cloud
  1804 | D:2      | Found a shadowy altar of Dithmenos.
  1844 | D:2      | Reached skill level 1 in Air Magic
  1897 | D:2      | Reached skill level 1 in Poison Magic
  2280 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 27/27 MP: 3/13
  2378 | D:2      | Reached skill level 1 in Summonings
  3738 | D:4      | Learned a level 2 spell: Repel Missiles
  3760 | D:4      | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
  3761 | D:4      | Noticed a phantom
  3947 | D:4      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 31/31 MP: 4/15
  4330 | D:4      | Noticed aa's ghost (average HuFE)
  4389 | D:3      | Reached skill level 4 in Spellcasting
  5026 | D:4      | Learned a level 3 spell: Conjure Flame
  5637 | D:4      | Noticed an ogre
  5651 | D:4      | Killed an ogre
  5651 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Fire Magic
  5651 | D:4      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 34/36 MP: 7/18
  5851 | D:4      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  5851 | D:4      | Found a snail-covered altar of Cheibriados.
  5864 | D:4      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
  5981 | D:4      | Noticed Grinder
  5989 | D:4      | Paralysed by Grinder for 4 turns
  6124 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  6233 | D:5      | Noticed Blork the orc
  6242 | D:5      | Killed Blork the orc
  6459 | D:5      | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
  6528 | D:5      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 41/41 MP: 8/20
  6714 | D:5      | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
  7270 | D:4      | Paralysed by Grinder for 4 turns
  7621 | D:2      | Killed Sigmund
  7621 | D:2      | Reached skill level 6 in Dodging
  8452 | D:6      | Reached skill level 7 in Dodging
  8517 | D:6      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 46/46 MP: 0/21
  8734 | D:6      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  8800 | Temple   | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
  8887 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Vehumet
  9004 | D:6      | Reached skill level 8 in Dodging
  9433 | D:6      | Reached skill level 9 in Dodging
 10037 | D:7      | Reached skill level 10 in Dodging
 10711 | D:7      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 51/51 MP: 12/23
 10857 | D:7      | Acquired Vehumet's first power
 10857 | D:7      | Offered knowledge of Flame Tongue by Vehumet.
 10857 | D:7      | Reached skill level 11 in Dodging
 10860 | D:7      | Reached skill level 5 in Conjurations
 11278 | D:7      | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
 11343 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Charms
 11664 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Staves
 11884 | D:8      | Noticed Duvessa
 11891 | D:8      | Noticed Dowan
 11905 | D:8      | Killed Dowan
 12015 | D:8      | Killed Duvessa
 13026 | D:8      | Reached skill level 5 in Stealth
 13516 | D:8      | Offered knowledge of Searing Ray by Vehumet.
 13555 | D:8      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 49/56 MP: 22/25
 13596 | D:8      | Learned a level 2 spell: Searing Ray
 13636 | D:8      | Reached skill level 5 in Staves
 14272 | D:9      | Reached skill level 1 in Fighting
 14372 | D:9      | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
 14555 | D:9      | Offered knowledge of Inner Flame by Vehumet.
 15078 | D:9      | Acquired Vehumet's second power
 15175 | D:9      | Got a jewelled short sword
 15361 | D:9      | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 15459 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 15694 | D:10     | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
 15985 | D:10     | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
 16119 | D:10     | Noticed Harold
 16160 | D:10     | Killed Harold
 16331 | D:10     | Offered knowledge of Olgreb's Toxic Radiance by Vehumet.
 17204 | D:10     | Noticed a tengu warrior
 17226 | D:10     | Killed a tengu warrior
 17226 | D:10     | Reached XP level 11. HP: 36/71 MP: 9/29
 17627 | D:10     | Noticed a hill giant
 18073 | D:10     | Killed a hill giant
 18240 | D:11     | Noticed Erolcha
 18255 | D:11     | Killed Erolcha
 18349 | D:11     | Acquired Vehumet's third power
 18376 | D:11     | Noticed a five-headed hydra
 18402 | D:11     | Killed a five-headed hydra
 18579 | D:11     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 18628 | D:11     | Noticed Fannar
 18638 | D:11     | Noticed a hill giant
 18661 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 18674 | Lair:1   | Offered knowledge of Iskenderun's Mystic Blast by Vehumet.
 18692 | Lair:1   | Learned a level 4 spell: Iskenderun's Mystic Blast
 18835 | Lair:1   | Learned a level 3 spell: Ozocubu's Armour
 18872 | Lair:1   | Reached skill level 1 in Ice Magic
 18976 | Lair:1   | Found a frozen archway.
 18993 | IceCv    | Entered an ice cave
 19160 | IceCv    | Noticed an ice statue
 19679 | IceCv    | Noticed a death yak
 19694 | IceCv    | Killed a death yak
 19694 | IceCv    | Reached skill level 5 in Ice Magic
 19976 | IceCv    | Learned a level 4 spell: Throw Icicle
 19998 | IceCv    | Reached XP level 12. HP: 74/77 MP: 31/31
 20116 | IceCv    | Noticed a frost giant
 20217 | IceCv    | Killed a frost giant
 20478 | IceCv    | HP: 3/77 [cloud of freezing vapour (13)]
 21275 | Lair:1   | Noticed an eight-headed hydra
 21289 | Lair:1   | Killed an eight-headed hydra
 21920 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 10 in Spellcasting
 22077 | Lair:2   | Offered knowledge of Bolt of Magma by Vehumet.
 22391 | Lair:2   | Noticed Prince Ribbit
 22399 | Lair:2   | Killed Prince Ribbit
 22918 | D:11     | Killed a hill giant
 22918 | D:11     | Reached skill level 10 in Staves
 23268 | Lair:1   | Noticed an eight-headed hydra
 23278 | Lair:1   | Killed an eight-headed hydra
 23446 | D:11     | Killed an unseen horror
 23896 | D:11     | Killed Fannar
 24091 | D:11     | Identified the +6 short sword "Keugga Hease" {freeze, rF+} (You took it off a human on level 9 of the Dungeon)
 24205 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 1 spell: Freeze
 24837 | Lair:3   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 78/81 MP: 19/33
 24940 | Lair:3   | Found a labyrinth entrance.
 24950 | Lab      | Entered a labyrinth
 25206 | Lab      | Got a brightly glowing leather armour
 25326 | Lab      | Identified the Catalogue of Transmigration and Displacement
 26283 | Lair:3   | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
 26413 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 12 in Staves
 26792 | Lair:4   | Found a hole to the Spider Nest.
 27707 | Lair:4   | Offered knowledge of Venom Bolt by Vehumet.
 28062 | Lair:4   | Reached skill level 13 in Staves
 30138 | Lair:6   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 30557 | Lair:6   | Reached skill level 14 in Staves
 31248 | Lair:6   | Found a staircase to the Shoals.
 32672 | Lair:8   | Entered Level 8 of the Lair of Beasts
 33246 | Lair:8   | Reached XP level 14. HP: 94/94 MP: 24/34

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Dagger            |    10 |     2 |       |       |       ||    12
       War axe           |       |    13 |       |       |       ||    13
       Quarterstaff      |       |    29 |   242 |   582 |   320 ||  1173
       Short sword       |       |       |       |    27 |   363 ||   390
 Cast: Magic Dart        |    86 |   143 |   174 |   105 |     7 ||   515
       Call Imp          |     1 |    20 |    39 |       |       ||    60
       Mephitic Cloud    |       |    10 |    34 |    64 |    13 ||   121
       Repel Missiles    |       |     1 |     1 |     2 |       ||     4
       Conjure Flame     |       |     1 |    54 |   124 |    67 ||   246
       Blink             |       |       |     3 |     3 |    20 ||    26
       Searing Ray       |       |       |       |    31 |       ||    31
       Iskenderun's Myst |       |       |       |    12 |       ||    12
       Ozocubu's Armour  |       |       |       |     2 |    11 ||    13
       Throw Icicle      |       |       |       |    49 |   113 ||   162
       Freeze            |       |       |       |       |    27 ||    27
 Abil: Evoke Flight      |       |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
Evoke: Wand              |       |     3 |     9 |    12 |     7 ||    31
  Use: Scroll            |       |     4 |    16 |    13 |    10 ||    43
       Potion            |       |       |     1 |     3 |     2 ||     6
 Stab: Sleeping          |       |     2 |       |     5 |     7 ||    14
       Confused          |       |     1 |     7 |    23 |     7 ||    38
       Distracted        |       |       |     1 |       |       ||     1
       Fleeing           |       |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
  Eat: Chunk             |     3 |    13 |    23 |    26 |    28 ||    93
       Pizza             |       |     1 |     1 |     3 |       ||     5
       Beef jerky        |       |       |     2 |     1 |     2 ||     5
       Fruit             |       |       |       |     3 |     2 ||     5
       Royal jelly       |       |       |       |     1 |     1 ||     2

Code:

eeee the Nimble (Demonspawn Wizard)                Turns: 36102, Time: 01:34:45

HP 101/101       AC 21     Str  7      XL: 15   Next: 35%
MP  32/33        EV 16     Int 31      God: Vehumet [*****.]
Gold 734         SH  0     Dex 19      Spells: 10 memorised,  1 level left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis .     a - +4 dagger (protect)
rCold  . . .     Clarity  .     q - +0 ring mail (curse)
rNeg   . . .     rCorr    +     (no shield)
rPois  .         rRot     .     t - +2 hat
rElec  .         Spirit   +     j - +2 cloak
SustAb .         Warding  .     H - +2 pair of gloves
rMut   .         Stasis   .     r - +2 pair of boots of the Assassin {Stlth++}
Gourm  .                        P - amulet of resist corrosion
MR     +....                    n - cursed +6 ring of intelligence
                                Z - ring of Opepa {Fire Stlth+}

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, very stealthy
A: horns 2, thin skeletal structure 3, cold resistance 1, magic shield, freezing
cloud immunity
a: Renounce Religion

You are in a bailey.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is extremely pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 2 branches of the dungeon, and seen 21 of its levels.
You have also visited: Labyrinth, Sewer and Bailey.

You have collected 1262 gold pieces.
You have spent 528 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 a - a +4 dagger of protection (weapon)
 b - a +2 whip of electrocution
Missiles
 g - 35 stones (quivered)
Armour
 j - a +2 cloak (worn)
 q - a cursed +0 ring mail (worn)
 r - the +2 pair of boots of the Assassin (worn) {Stlth++}
   (You found it in a labyrinth)   

It makes you much more stealthy.
 t - a +2 hat (worn)
 H - a +2 pair of gloves (worn)
Magical devices
 k - a wand of disintegration {zapped: 5}
 F - a wand of teleportation (5)
 L - a wand of heal wounds (4)
Comestibles
 d - 10 bread rations
 v - 6 fruits
 B - 10 meat rations
Scrolls
 f - 4 scrolls of identify
 p - 4 scrolls of fog
 s - 6 scrolls of recharging
 x - 5 scrolls of teleportation
 y - a scroll of enchant weapon
 z - 6 scrolls of blinking
 D - 2 scrolls of magic mapping
Jewellery
 n - a cursed +6 ring of intelligence (right hand)
 G - an uncursed amulet of clarity
 J - a ring of protection from magic
 K - an uncursed ring of protection from magic
 P - an amulet of resist corrosion (around neck)
 Z - the ring of Opepa (left hand) {Fire Stlth+}
   (You found it in a labyrinth)   

[ring of fire]

It enhances your fire magic, and weakens your ice magic.
   It makes you vulnerable to cold.
   It makes you more stealthy.
Potions
 c - a potion of cure mutation
 e - 2 potions of restore abilities
 h - 4 potions of magic
 i - a potion of berserk rage
 m - 2 potions of cancellation
 o - 3 potions of flight
 u - a smoky yellow potion
 A - 9 potions of curing
 C - 4 potions of might
 N - a brown potion
 S - 2 potions of brilliance
 T - 2 green potions
 U - a black potion
 Y - 2 silvery potions
Miscellaneous
 w - a lamp of fire
 R - a phial of floods

Skills:
 + Level 4.6 Fighting
 - Level 13.8 Dodging
 - Level 1.7 Stealth
 - Level 11.0 Spellcasting
 - Level 12.0 Conjurations
 - Level 1.4 Charms
   Level 2.5 Summonings
 - Level 3.5 Translocations
 - Level 10.6 Fire Magic
 - Level 7.1 Air Magic
 - Level 6.0 Poison Magic

You have one spell level left.

a - Magic Dart            Conj           ####         1%          1    None
c - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      #######.     1%          3    None
d - Bolt of Fire          Conj/Fire      #######...   3%          6    #####..
e - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          3%          2    None
f - Fireball              Conj/Fire      #######...   1%          5    #......
g - Mephitic Cloud        Conj/Pois/Air  ######..     1%          3    None
k - Poisonous Cloud       Conj/Pois/Air  ######....   11%         6    #####..
s - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           ######..     1%          4    None
v - Flight                Chrm/Air       #####.....   4%          3    None
x - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       #####.       1%          2    None

Branches:
Dungeon (13/15)            Temple (0/1) D:4             Orc (0/4) D:12
   Lair (8/8) D:10          Swamp (0/5) Lair:4        Snake (0/5) Lair:5
  Slime (0/6) Lair:7     
Vaults: D:13-14     

Altars:
Elyvilon
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
The Shining One

Shops:
D:4 :   D:6 *   D:10 ([((

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You have a pair of horns on your head.
You have an unnaturally thin skeletal structure (Dex +6, Stealth++).
Your flesh is cold resistant.
When hurt, damage is shared between your health and your magic reserves.
You are immune to freezing clouds.

Message History

The orc warrior is engulfed in noxious fumes.
The orc warrior appears confused.
The kobold is engulfed in noxious fumes.
The kobold appears confused. The kobold hits the orc warrior.
You kill the kobold!
Vehumet accepts your kill.
You feel your power returning.
You start resting.
The orc warrior falls into the water!
The orc warrior drowns.
Vehumet accepts your kill.
You hear a splash. x2
You start resting.
The kobold shouts!
The kobold throws a tomahawk of returning.
The tomahawk of returning hits you but does no damage.
The weapon returns to the kobold!
Save game and exit?

...}....
          #(.....
     #..' #.(...## ###
 .  .g..###......#~~~~
#'####..#.....~~~~~~~~
....o####.)~~~~~~~~~#
.....#(~~~~~~.@...#
######~~~~~.(....##
~~~~~~~~~.(.....##
~~~~~~........###
...........####
.\..((..####
......###
...####
####
#
#

You can see a kobold.

Vanquished Creatures
  2 acid blobs (Lair:7)
  A minotaur (Lab)
  7 hydras
  A centaur warrior (D:12)
  11 death yaks
  A catoblepas (Lair:7)
  An unseen horror (D:10)
  A lindwurm (Lair:5)
  Pikel (D:8)
  3 griffons (Lair:7)
  3 manticores
  3 hill giants
  4 oklob plants
  12 elephants
  8 black mambas
  Joseph (D:7)
  A gargoyle (D:11)
  27 spiny frogs
  19 wolves
  A torpor snail (Lair:7)
  11 komodo dragons
  3 fire drakes
  2 giant leeches
  5 wandering mushrooms
  5 trolls
  4 polar bears
  31 blink frogs
  A basilisk (Lair:3)
  A water elemental (D:12)
  A trapdoor spider (Lab)
  70 yaks
  2 hill giant zombies
  A deep elf mage (D:9)
  2 redbacks (Lair:7)
  3 spriggans
  4 wyverns
  2 wraiths (D:12)
  Grum (D:8)
  A steam dragon (D:10)
  5 vampire mosquitoes (Lair:8)
  14 hippogriffs
  A tengu zombie (D:12)
  13 porcupines
  10 water moccasins
  7 orc warriors
  5 ice beasts
  2 phantoms
  A slave (D:7)
  A necrophage (D:7)
  6 black bears
  8 sky beasts
  7 ogres
  10 centaurs
  9 crocodiles
  Duvessa (D:5)
  7 big kobolds
  33 giant frogs
  2 insubstantial wisps (D:10)
  A cyclops zombie (D:11)
  A hippogriff zombie (D:12)
  A troll zombie (D:10)
  A water moccasin zombie (D:5)
  5 scorpions
  18 killer bees
  10 electric eels
  Dowan (D:5)
  3 crimson imps
  A centaur skeleton (D:4)
  2 jellies
  11 orc priests
  24 hounds
  6 iguanas
  19 orc wizards
  16 sheep
  19 worker ants
  A crocodile zombie (D:12)
  A big kobold skeleton (D:8)
  2 ogre zombies
  An ogre skeleton (D:7)
  A mummy (D:12)
  13 gnolls
  70 green rats
  4 shadow imps
  29 adders
  3 giant mites
  6 worms
  An iguana zombie (D:3)
  2 adder skeletons (D:5)
  An adder zombie (D:3)
  5 giant geckos
  6 oozes
  62 orcs
  12 bats
  10 giant cockroaches
  13 hobgoblins
  9 jackals
  7 quokkas
  7 ball pythons
  A ball python skeleton (D:5)
  A giant gecko skeleton (D:7)
  A giant gecko zombie (D:3)
  4 giant newts
  A giant newt skeleton (D:4)
  12 goblins
  2 goblin skeletons
  42 kobolds
  3 orc skeletons
  4 orc zombies
  16 rats
  A rat skeleton (D:5)
  A bush (Lair:4)
  3 fungi
  7 plants
904 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  An orc warrior (D:6)
  An orc (D:6)
  A hobgoblin (D:6)
  A kobold (D:4)
4 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  A wolf (D:8)
  3 slaves (D:8)
  A crimson imp (Lair:3)
  2 white imps (Lair:3)
  An orc (D:8)
  3 bushes (Lair:4)
  17 fungi
  36 plants
64 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 972 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | eeee, the Demonspawn Wizard, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 13/13 MP: 4/4
   512 | D:1      | Gained mutation: Your flesh is cold resistant. [demonic ancestry]
   512 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 19/19 MP: 4/6
  1152 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 24/24 MP: 0/7
  1355 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Repel Missiles
  1358 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink
  1363 | D:1      | Learned a level 3 spell: Mephitic Cloud
  1938 | D:2      | Reached skill level 1 in Air Magic
  2118 | D:2      | Reached skill level 1 in Poison Magic
  2313 | D:2      | Found a basalt altar of Yredelemnul.
  2396 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 30/30 MP: 7/9
  3092 | D:3      | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
  3099 | D:3      | Became a worshipper of Vehumet
  3762 | D:3      | Gained mutation: You have a somewhat thin skeletal structure (Dex +2, Stealth). [demonic ancestry]
  3762 | D:3      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 35/35 MP: 11/11
  4400 | D:4      | Found a glowing drain.
  4407 | Sewer    | Entered a sewer
  4588 | Sewer    | Reached skill level 4 in Spellcasting
  4588 | Sewer    | Reached XP level 6. HP: 22/41 MP: 1/15
  4849 | Sewer    | Learned a level 3 spell: Conjure Flame
  4852 | Sewer    | Learned a level 2 spell: Call Imp
  4921 | Sewer    | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
  4929 | Sewer    | Acquired Vehumet's first power
  4929 | Sewer    | Offered knowledge of Sandblast by Vehumet.
  5311 | Sewer    | Reached skill level 1 in Fire Magic
  5311 | Sewer    | Gained mutation: You have a moderately thin skeletal structure (Dex +4, Stealth+). [demonic ancestry]
  5311 | Sewer    | Reached XP level 7. HP: 39/46 MP: 15/18
  5567 | Sewer    | Reached skill level 1 in Translocations
  5965 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Charms
  6556 | D:4      | Found Miassioq's Book Boutique.
  6632 | D:4      | Offered knowledge of Searing Ray by Vehumet.
  6741 | D:4      | Noticed an ogre
  6749 | D:4      | Killed an ogre
  6771 | D:4      | Gained mutation: You have a pair of small horns on your head. [demonic ancestry]
  6771 | D:4      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 47/52 MP: 9/20
  6806 | D:4      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  6967 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  7130 | D:5      | Reached skill level 6 in Spellcasting
  7408 | D:5      | Reached skill level 7 in Spellcasting
  7590 | D:5      | Learned a level 2 spell: Searing Ray
  7686 | D:5      | Noticed Duvessa
  7686 | D:5      | Noticed Dowan
  7697 | D:5      | Killed Duvessa
  7707 | D:5      | Killed Dowan
  7707 | D:5      | Reached skill level 5 in Conjurations
  7710 | D:5      | Offered knowledge of Stone Arrow by Vehumet.
  9003 | D:6      | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
  9098 | D:6      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  9113 | D:6      | Found a sparkling altar of Nemelex Xobeh.
  9146 | D:6      | Acquired Vehumet's second power
  9211 | D:6      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
  9212 | D:6      | Noticed an angel
  9215 | D:6      | Found Schinu Maikiu's Hallowed Reliquary.
  9442 | D:6      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 57/57 MP: 21/24
 10165 | D:7      | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
 10219 | D:7      | Noticed Joseph
 10255 | D:7      | Killed Joseph
 10255 | D:7      | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
 10474 | D:7      | Offered knowledge of Iskenderun's Mystic Blast by Vehumet.
 10486 | D:7      | Learned a level 4 spell: Iskenderun's Mystic Blast
 11291 | D:7      | Reached skill level 8 in Dodging
 11581 | D:8      | Noticed Pikel
 11653 | D:8      | Killed Pikel
 11653 | D:8      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 55/63 MP: 7/25
 11787 | D:8      | Acquired Vehumet's third power
 11912 | D:8      | Offered knowledge of Fireball by Vehumet.
 12041 | D:8      | Noticed Grum
 12092 | D:8      | Killed Grum
 12236 | D:8      | Learned a level 5 spell: Fireball
 12718 | D:9      | Noticed a death yak
 13002 | D:9      | Reached skill level 9 in Spellcasting
 13491 | D:9      | Offered knowledge of Lee's Rapid Deconstruction by Vehumet.
 13606 | D:9      | Reached skill level 5 in Fire Magic
 14192 | D:9      | Reached XP level 11. HP: 68/68 MP: 23/28
 14247 | D:9      | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
 14504 | D:9      | Reached skill level 10 in Dodging
 14899 | D:9      | Killed a death yak
 15213 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 15215 | D:10     | Found a burning altar of Makhleb.
 15228 | D:10     | Reached skill level 11 in Dodging
 15312 | D:10     | Found Umunten's Weapon Boutique.
 15425 | D:10     | Found Isafuan's Antique Weapon Emporium.
 15674 | D:10     | Bought a transparent dire flail for 198 gold pieces
 15675 | D:10     | Identified the cursed +0 dire flail of Division {crush, Stlth++} (You bought it in a shop on level 10 of the Dungeon)
 15676 | D:10     | Bought an ancient morningstar for 198 gold pieces
 15974 | D:10     | Found Udidaqa's Weapon Shoppe.
 16521 | D:10     | Noticed a hill giant
 16532 | D:10     | Killed a hill giant
 16977 | D:10     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 16983 | D:10     | Reached skill level 12 in Dodging
 16989 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 17497 | Lair:1   | Noticed a five-headed hydra
 17508 | Lair:1   | Killed a five-headed hydra
 17569 | Lair:1   | Offered knowledge of Bolt of Draining by Vehumet.
 17756 | Lair:1   | Identified the +5 morningstar of Boaq {crush, +Blink} (You bought it in a shop on level 10 of the Dungeon)
 18324 | Lair:1   | Gained mutation: You are immune to freezing clouds. [demonic ancestry]
 18324 | Lair:1   | Reached XP level 12. HP: 57/74 MP: 9/29
 18351 | Lair:1   | Reached skill level 13 in Dodging
 20426 | Lair:3   | Noticed a seven-headed hydra
 20438 | Lair:3   | Killed a seven-headed hydra
 20931 | Lair:3   | Noticed a five-headed hydra
 21051 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 10 in Conjurations
 21151 | Lair:3   | Killed a five-headed hydra
 22122 | Lair:3   | Offered knowledge of Poison Arrow by Vehumet.
 22851 | Lair:4   | Gained mutation: When hurt, damage is shared between your health and your magic reserves. [demonic ancestry]
 22851 | Lair:4   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 79/79 MP: 12/30
 23447 | Lair:4   | Found a staircase to the Swamp.
 23917 | Lair:4   | Learned a level 3 spell: Flight
 24023 | Lair:5   | Found a staircase to the Snake Pit.
 24049 | Lair:5   | Found a labyrinth entrance.
 24079 | Lab      | Entered a labyrinth
 25007 | Lab      | Got a crude wooden ring
 25017 | Lab      | Identified the Disquisition on Dusty Moulding (You found it in a labyrinth)
 25032 | Lab      | Identified the ring of Opepa {Fire Stlth+} (You found it in a labyrinth)
 25034 | Lab      | Identified a +1 rod of the swarm (9/9) (You found it in a labyrinth)
 25179 | Lair:4   | Learned a level 6 spell: Bolt of Fire
 26909 | Lair:6   | Got an agate-studded ring mail
 26910 | Lair:6   | Identified the +5 ring mail of Trog {Str-4 Dex-1} (You found it on level 6 of the Lair of Beasts)
 26929 | Lair:6   | Offered knowledge of Bolt of Magma by Vehumet.
 28432 | Lair:7   | Noticed an acid blob
 28434 | Lair:7   | Noticed an acid blob
 28486 | Lair:7   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 28495 | Lair:7   | Killed an acid blob
 28495 | Lair:7   | Reached skill level 10 in Fire Magic
 28495 | Lair:7   | Gained mutation: You have an unnaturally thin skeletal structure (Dex +6, Stealth++). [demonic ancestry]
 28495 | Lair:7   | Reached XP level 14. HP: 62/85 MP: 11/31
 28496 | Lair:7   | Killed an acid blob
 29095 | Lair:7   | Identified the Incunabulum of Shifting Contamination (You found it on level 7 of the Lair of Beasts)
 29210 | Lair:7   | Offered knowledge of Poisonous Cloud by Vehumet.
 29277 | Lair:7   | Reached skill level 10 in Spellcasting
 29853 | Lair:8   | Entered Level 8 of the Lair of Beasts
 30392 | Lair:8   | Learned a level 6 spell: Poisonous Cloud
 31122 | Lair:7   | Reached skill level 5 in Air Magic
 32075 | Lair:8   | Gained mutation: You have a pair of horns on your head. [demonic ancestry]
 32075 | Lair:8   | Reached XP level 15. HP: 90/90 MP: 21/33
 32168 | Lair:8   | Got an ancient scale mail
 32212 | Lair:7   | Identified the +5 scale mail of Quantum Leap {Stlth+} (You found it on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts)
 32782 | D:10     | Killed an unseen horror
 32834 | D:10     | Found Casagiska's Antique Armour Boutique.
 32839 | D:10     | Bought a runed leather armour for 66 gold pieces
 32839 | D:10     | Bought a runed leather armour for 66 gold pieces
 33471 | D:11     | Got a thick robe
 33473 | D:11     | Identified the cursed +2 robe "Eren" {+Fly rPois} (You found it on level 11 of the Dungeon)
 33512 | D:11     | Offered knowledge of Orb of Destruction by Vehumet.
 33656 | D:11     | Reached skill level 5 in Poison Magic
 34360 | D:12     | Reached skill level 1 in Fighting
 34925 | D:12     | Identified the Compendium of Harmful Orientation
 35446 | D:12     | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 35970 | D:13     | Found a flagged portal.
 36023 | Bailey   | Entered a bailey
 36048 | Bailey   | Offered knowledge of Delayed Fireball by Vehumet.

Melee: Short sword       |     9 |       |       |       |       ||     9
       Club              |     3 |       |       |       |       ||     3
       Whip              |     6 |    17 |     5 |   241 |   122 ||   391
       Dagger            |    14 |    13 |   151 |     9 |   405 ||   592
       Quarterstaff      |       |       |    11 |       |       ||    11
       Dire flail        |       |       |       |   404 |       ||   404
 Fire: Hand crossbow     |       |     3 |       |       |       ||     3
Throw: Stone             |     2 |       |       |       |     1 ||     3
 Cast: Magic Dart        |   116 |   196 |   390 |   180 |     4 ||   886
       Repel Missiles    |     1 |     1 |     1 |       |       ||     3
       Mephitic Cloud    |       |     5 |    24 |    23 |    15 ||    67
       Conjure Flame     |       |     1 |    15 |   106 |    14 ||   136
       Blink             |       |       |     3 |    26 |    13 ||    42
       Iskenderun's Myst |       |       |     9 |    58 |   127 ||   194
       Searing Ray       |       |       |     5 |    38 |       ||    43
       Call Imp          |       |       |     3 |     3 |       ||     6
       Fireball          |       |       |       |    41 |    47 ||    88
       Bolt of Fire      |       |       |       |       |   209 ||   209
       Flight            |       |       |       |       |     2 ||     2
       Poisonous Cloud   |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
Evoke: Wand              |       |     4 |     5 |     7 |    14 ||    30
  Use: Scroll            |     5 |     2 |    12 |    17 |    15 ||    51
 Stab: Confused          |       |     2 |     6 |     6 |     4 ||    18
       Sleeping          |       |       |     3 |     3 |     6 ||    12
       Distracted        |       |       |       |     3 |       ||     3
  Eat: Chunk             |     4 |     9 |    21 |    31 |    78 ||   143
       Beef jerky        |       |       |     2 |     1 |     1 ||     4
       Bread ration      |       |       |       |     2 |     2 ||     4
       Fruit             |       |       |       |     1 |     8 ||     9
       Pizza             |       |       |       |       |     2 ||     2
       Meat ration       |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1

Code:

mmm the Geomancer (DrEE)                           Turns: 46121, Time: 01:40:00

HP 129/129       AC 19     Str 11      XL: 15   Next: 90%
MP  31/31        EV 16     Int 19      God: Dithmenos [******]
Gold 2075        SH 11     Dex 16      Spells: 10 memorised,  5 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis +     a - staff of earth
rCold  . . .     Clarity  .     (armour unavailable)
rNeg   . . .     rCorr    +     j - +0 shield
rPois  .         rRot     .     V - +2 hat {SInv}
rElec  .         Spirit   .     L - +2 cloak {MR+}
SustAb .         Warding  .     P - +1 pair of gloves
rMut   .         Stasis   .     M - +2 pair of boots
Gourm  .                        n - amulet of rage
MR     ++...                    y - ring "Ceqiagaa" {rF+ Dex+2 Stlth-}
                                d - ring of stealth

@: wreathed by umbra, studying Summonings, very resistant to hostile
enchantments, extremely stealthy
A: spit acid, acid resistance, unfitting armour, acidic bite, cold-blooded, AC
+9
a: Spit Acid, Shadow Step, Shadow Form, Renounce Religion, Evoke Berserk Rage

You are on level 15 of the Dungeon.
You worship Dithmenos.
Dithmenos is exalted by your worship.
You are hungry.

You have visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and seen 27 of its levels.
You have also visited: Labyrinth, Bailey and Ice Cave.

You have collected 3348 gold pieces.
You have spent 1273 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Missiles
 p - 120 stones (quivered)
Armour
 j - a +0 shield (worn)
 L - a +2 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
 M - a +2 pair of boots (worn)
 P - a +1 pair of gloves (worn)
 V - a +2 hat of see invisible (worn)
Magical devices
 e - a wand of disintegration {zapped: 9}
 q - a wand of enslavement {zapped: 1}
 r - a wand of polymorph {zapped: 1}
 s - a wand of paralysis {zapped: 5}
 F - a wand of heal wounds (4)
 J - a wand of paralysis
 Y - a wand of heal wounds
Comestibles
 f - 12 bread rations
 g - 12 meat rations
 o - 80 fruits
 t - 5 beef jerkies
 A - 8 royal jellies
 T - 2 rotting chunks of two-headed ogre flesh
Scrolls
 h - 5 scrolls of fog
 l - 12 scrolls of amnesia
 m - 9 scrolls of teleportation
 C - 3 scrolls of blinking
 D - 2 scrolls of silence
 G - a scroll of summoning
 I - 3 scrolls of identify
 K - 3 scrolls of remove curse
 S - a scroll of vulnerability
Jewellery
 c - an uncursed amulet of resist mutation
 d - a ring of stealth (left hand)
 n - an amulet of rage (around neck)
 y - the ring "Ceqiagaa" (right hand) {rF+ Dex+2 Stlth-}
   (You found it on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts)   

[ring of loudness]

It affects your dexterity (+2).
   It makes you less stealthy.
 z - an uncursed ring of sustain abilities
 N - a square peridot amulet
Potions
 i - 14 potions of curing
 k - 3 potions of resistance
 v - 2 potions of restore abilities
 w - 2 potions of cure mutation
 x - a potion of magic
 B - 2 potions of heal wounds
 E - a potion of porridge
 H - a potion of cancellation
 O - 6 potions of haste
 Q - 4 potions of agility
 R - 2 potions of invisibility
 U - 5 potions of brilliance
Books
 u - a manual of Summonings
 W - a book of Enchantments   

Spells                             Type                      Level
   Tukima's Dance                     Hexes                        3
   Cause Fear                         Hexes                        4
   Silence                            Hexes/Air                    5
   Deflect Missiles                   Charms/Air                   6
   Haste                              Charms                       6
   Discord                            Hexes                        8
Magical staves
 a - an uncursed staff of earth (weapon)
 b - an uncursed staff of cold

Skills:
 - Level 11.0 Fighting
 + Level 5.3 Staves
 - Level 8.1 Dodging
 - Level 10.0 Stealth
 - Level 10.0 Shields
 - Level 8.7 Spellcasting
 - Level 6.4 Conjurations
 - Level 9.8 Summonings
 - Level 3.1 Translocations
 - Level 5.0 Transmutations
 - Level 11.3 Earth Magic
 - Level 9.0 Invocations
 - Level 9.4 Evocations

You have 5 spell levels left.

a - Stoneskin             Trmt/Erth      ######..     1%          2    None
b - Passwall              Trmt/Erth      ######....   1%          3    None
d - Summon Ice Beast      Ice/Summ       ####....     14%         4    ###....
e - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          6%          2    None
f - Petrify               Trmt/Erth      ######..     4%          4    ###....
g - Lee's Rapid Deconstr  Erth           ######....   2%          5    ####...
h - Summon Butterflies    Summ           #####...     1%          1    None
q - Sandblast             Erth           ######       1%          1    None
s - Stone Arrow           Conj/Erth      ######       1%          3    None
y - Apportation           Tloc           ###.......   3%          1    None

Branches:
Dungeon (15/15)            Temple (0/1) D:5             Orc (4/4) D:12
    Elf (0/3) Orc:3          Lair (8/8) D:9          Shoals (0/5) Lair:5
 Spider (0/5) Lair:5        Slime (0/6) Lair:8       Vaults (0/5) D:13
 Depths (0/5) D:15       

Altars:
Dithmenos
Elyvilon
Okawaru
Trog
Yredelemnul
The Shining One
Jiyva

Shops:
D:8 [   D:15 (   Orc:1 [   Orc:2 }   Orc:3 }   Orc:4 ?[**

Portals:
Trove: D:15 (give +4 gold dragon armour)

Annotations:
Lair:3 Rupert
Abyss:1 Harold

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You can spit globs of acid.
You can corrode armour when you spit acid.
You are resistant to acid.
Your golden yellow scales are hard (AC +9).
Your body does not fit into most forms of armour.
You have acidic saliva.
Your cold-blooded metabolism reacts poorly to cold.

Message History

Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Save game and exit?
Welcome back, mmm the Yellow Draconian Earth Elementalist.
Dithmenos says: Spread the eternal night.
Okay, then.
Read which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
Okay, then.
Search for what [? for help]? book
Unknown command.
Save game and exit?
Save game and exit?

###..###  #..'.>.#..'.#.##..
   ##...#  #..#...#..#...).).
    ###.#  #..#####..###..).#
      #.# ###.......#######'#
      #.# #.##.....##..##7...
      #.###.#########).##....
      #.....##...#  #..##7...
    ###.<.####.###  #).##....
    #[...###.....#  #).####_#
    #.#### #.....####).######
#####.###  #..@.....)<...####
........## #.....####........
....#....############........
....##....####...............
#.#..##.#....................
#.##....##...#...............
...##.#..##..#########.......
......##......#      ##......
..(.#..##.#...#       #######
....##....##..###############
#.#..##.#..##................

There are no monsters in sight!

Vanquished Creatures
  Kirke (D:14)
  2 stone giants (Orc:4)
  An ettin (Orc:4)
  2 vault guards
  Josephine (D:12)
  8 hydras
  2 centaur warriors (D:14)
  5 death yaks
  2 ogre magi (D:15)
  4 tengu warriors
  Urug (D:10)
  2 catoblepae (Lair:8)
  3 wizards
  2 unseen horrors (D:13)
  An orb spider (Lair:5)
  13 hill giants
  An unseen horror (shapeshifter) (D:13)
  5 cyclopes
  A necromancer (D:13)
  8 orc knights
  3 griffons
  6 manticores
  2 orc sorcerers
  6 elephants
  10 ugly things
  Maurice (D:10)
  A red wasp (shapeshifter) (D:13)
  A torpor snail (Lair:6)
  2 centaur skeletons
  11 spiny frogs
  13 komodo dragons
  A feature mimic (Lair:3)
  6 black mambas
  3 gargoyles
  2 naga magi (D:15)
  2 efreet
  2 fire drakes
  3 kobold demonologists (D:13)
  A polar bear (D:11)
  25 blink frogs
  2 tengu conjurers (D:14)
  9 trolls
  A slime creature (D:13)
  8 two-headed ogres
  8 ravens
  2 boulder beetles (Lair:8)
  3 deep elf magi
  4 basilisks
  A snapping turtle (Lair:5)
  A vampire (D:13)
  A hungry ghost (D:15)
  A wraith (D:15)
  7 wyverns
  7 vampire mosquitoes
  4 water elementals (D:14)
  52 yaks
  20 humans (D:13)
  A trapdoor spider (D:14)
  A hog (shapeshifter) (D:14)
  19 wolves
  Grum (D:10)
  A hog (D:14)
  8 hippogriffs
  A redback simulacrum (D:15)
  A deep elf fighter (D:15)
  2 mottled dragons
  A warg (Orc:4)
  A soldier ant (D:8)
  12 water moccasins
  A hydra simulacrum (D:12)
  11 porcupines
  41 orc warriors
  An ogre skeleton (D:14)
  3 black bears
  2 sky beasts
  2 necrophages
  A yellow wasp (D:13)
  5 boring beetles
  3 boggarts (D:13)
  19 centaurs
  An ice beast (D:6)
  19 ogres
  4 phantoms
  Sigmund (D:2)
  Duvessa (Orc:1)
  13 crocodiles
  A komodo dragon zombie (D:10)
  A hill giant simulacrum (D:14)
  22 giant frogs
  2 big kobolds (D:13)
  A wyvern skeleton (D:12)
  A yaktaur skeleton (D:13)
  3 scorpions
  The ghost of mmm the Chucker, a weakling TrHu (D:3)
  An eye of draining (D:10)
  21 killer bees
  5 electric eels
  19 wights
  9 jellies
  2 goliath beetles
  8 crimson imps
  Dowan (Orc:1)
  19 orc priests
  2 giant frog skeletons
  A quasit (D:9)
  A gnoll shaman (D:8)
  A cyclops simulacrum (D:12)
  32 orc wizards
  8 hounds
  9 iguanas
  A hippogriff simulacrum (D:12)
  A killer bee zombie (D:8)
  12 worker ants
  A sky beast zombie (D:10)
  A mottled dragon skeleton (D:9)
  32 sheep
  2 mummies (D:12)
  22 adders
  11 gnolls
  43 green rats
  An orc zombie (D:5)
  2 orc skeletons
  3 shadow imps
  A giant mite (D:6)
  13 white imps
  An adder zombie (D:6)
  7 giant geckos
  185 orcs
  10 bats
  A bat zombie (D:7)
  6 giant cockroaches
  24 goblins
  24 hobgoblins
  9 jackals
  2 ball pythons
  2 giant newts
  3 giant spores
  A jackal skeleton (D:5)
  41 kobolds
  13 quokkas
  18 rats
  16 ballistomycetes
  A butterfly (D:5)
1155 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  A killer bee (D:13)
1 creature vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  An unseen horror (D:11)
  An ugly thing (D:11)
  A cyclops (D:14)
  A raven (D:14)
  2 yaks (Lair:7)
  A human (D:14)
  A necrophage (D:14)
  A big kobold (D:14)
  2 giant frogs
  2 ice beasts
  A wight (D:10)
  2 hounds
  An orc priest (D:9)
  2 sheep (Lair:8)
  7 green rats
  An orc (D:9)
  3 kobolds (D:14)
  2 giant spores
  14 fungi
  7 plants
53 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 1209 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | mmm, the Draconian Earth Elementalist, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 14/14 MP: 3/3
   681 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 17/20 MP: 1/4
   847 | D:1      | Reached skill level 4 in Earth Magic
  1181 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 26/26 MP: 6/6
  1204 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Stoneskin
  1208 | D:1      | Learned a level 3 spell: Stone Arrow
  1719 | D:2      | Reached skill level 1 in Conjurations
  1754 | D:2      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  2331 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 31/33 MP: 7/7
  2559 | D:2      | Noticed Sigmund
  2567 | D:2      | Killed Sigmund
  2567 | D:2      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 33/38 MP: 0/9
  3131 | D:3      | Noticed mmm's ghost (weakling TrHu)
  4453 | D:4      | Noticed an orc warrior
  4809 | D:4      | Killed an orc warrior
  4809 | D:4      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 45/45 MP: 2/10
  4878 | D:4      | Found a shadowy altar of Dithmenos.
  4880 | D:4      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
  4882 | D:4      | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
  4904 | D:4      | Became a worshipper of Dithmenos the Shadowed
  5020 | D:4      | Reached skill level 5 in Earth Magic
  5129 | D:4      | Noticed an ogre
  5133 | D:4      | Killed an ogre
  5133 | D:4      | Reached skill level 5 in Conjurations
  5299 | D:4      | Learned a level 3 spell: Passwall
  5300 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  5840 | D:5      | Your scales start taking on a golden yellow colour.
  5840 | D:5      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 41/50 MP: 1/12
  6144 | D:5      | Reached skill level 6 in Earth Magic
  6520 | D:5      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  6796 | D:3      | Killed mmm's ghost
  7034 | D:6      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 50/57 MP: 6/16
  7942 | D:6      | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
  8025 | D:6      | Learned a level 5 spell: Lee's Rapid Deconstruction
  8630 | D:7      | Found a basalt altar of Yredelemnul.
  8660 | D:7      | Acquired Dithmenos' first power
  8660 | D:7      | Reached skill level 5 in Transmutations
  8767 | D:7      | Reached skill level 7 in Earth Magic
  8869 | D:7      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 62/62 MP: 17/21
  8958 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Fighting
  9075 | D:7      | Noticed a two-headed ogre
  9079 | D:7      | Killed a two-headed ogre
  9351 | D:7      | Noticed a death yak
  9916 | D:8      | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
  9916 | D:8      | Reached skill level 5 in Stealth
 10110 | D:8      | Learned a level 4 spell: Petrify
 10300 | D:8      | Reached skill level 8 in Earth Magic
 10581 | D:8      | Acquired Dithmenos' second power
 11123 | D:8      | Found Ceurr's Armour Emporium.
 11129 | D:8      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 81/81 MP: 15/22
 11246 | D:8      | Got a faintly glowing turquoise ring
 11486 | D:8      | Identified the cursed ring of Lies {+/*Tele Dex-2} (You found it on level 8 of the Dungeon)
 11557 | D:8      | Reached skill level 9 in Earth Magic
 11688 | D:8      | Bought a +0 shield for 72 gold pieces
 11820 | D:9      | Found a bloodstained altar of Trog.
 11901 | D:9      | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 12346 | D:9      | Reached skill level 10 in Earth Magic
 13014 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 13018 | D:10     | Acquired Dithmenos' third power
 13044 | D:10     | Noticed Maurice
 13052 | D:10     | Killed Maurice
 13052 | D:10     | Reached skill level 1 in Shields
 13083 | D:10     | Noticed Urug
 13296 | D:10     | Noticed Harold
 13311 | D:10     | Banished Harold
 13969 | D:10     | Noticed Grum
 13976 | D:10     | Reached XP level 11. HP: 80/89 MP: 12/23
 13982 | D:10     | Killed Grum
 14371 | D:10     | Killed Urug
 14371 | D:10     | Reached skill level 5 in Shields
 14820 | D:11     | Noticed an unseen horror
 15004 | D:11     | Found a frozen archway.
 15131 | IceCv    | Entered an ice cave
 15406 | D:11     | Reached skill level 10 in Stealth
 15586 | D:11     | Killed an unseen horror
 16135 | D:11     | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink
 16545 | D:12     | Noticed Josephine
 16555 | D:12     | Killed Josephine
 16555 | D:12     | Acquired Dithmenos' fourth power
 16782 | D:12     | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
 16835 | D:12     | Noticed a seven-headed hydra
 16842 | D:12     | Killed a seven-headed hydra
 16924 | D:12     | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 17474 | D:12     | Reached XP level 12. HP: 89/100 MP: 16/28
 17567 | D:12     | Learned a level 1 spell: Apportation
 17569 | D:12     | Learned a level 1 spell: Summon Butterflies
 17778 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 18509 | Lair:1   | Reached skill level 1 in Summonings
 18509 | Lair:1   | Reached skill level 1 in Translocations
 18865 | Lair:2   | Noticed an eight-headed hydra
 18869 | Lair:2   | Killed an eight-headed hydra
 20179 | Lair:3   | Found a hole to the Spider Nest.
 20202 | Lair:3   | Noticed Rupert
 20227 | Lair:3   | the hole to the Spider Nest was a mimic.
 20402 | Lair:3   | Got a smoking golden ring
 20467 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
 21638 | Lair:4   | Identified the ring "Ovatwyum" {Fire Slay-6} (You found it on level 3 of the Lair of Beasts)
 22342 | Lair:5   | Found a labyrinth entrance.
 22362 | Lab      | Entered a labyrinth
 22632 | Lab      | Noticed a minotaur
 22633 | Lab      | Paralysed by a minotaur for 7 turns
 23152 | Lair:5   | Noticed a five-headed hydra
 23169 | Lair:5   | Killed a five-headed hydra
 23169 | Lair:5   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 97/105 MP: 5/29
 24259 | Lair:5   | Found a hole to the Spider Nest.
 24547 | Lair:5   | Found a staircase to the Shoals.
 25670 | Lair:6   | Identified a scroll of acquirement
 27432 | Lair:7   | Reached skill level 10 in Shields
 28205 | Lair:8   | Entered Level 8 of the Lair of Beasts
 28244 | Lair:8   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 28245 | Lair:8   | Found a viscous altar of Jiyva.
 30216 | Lair:8   | Reached skill level 10 in Fighting
 30788 | Lair:8   | Gained mutation: You have acidic saliva. [draconian growth]
 30788 | Lair:8   | Reached XP level 14. HP: 119/122 MP: 12/30
 31378 | Lair:8   | Reached skill level 11 in Fighting
 31503 | Lair:8   | Reached skill level 1 in Invocations
 32246 | Lair:8   | Got a glittering lead ring
 32302 | Lair:8   | Identified the ring "Ceqiagaa" {rF+ Dex+2 Stlth-} (You found it on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts)
 32604 | Lair:5   | Learned a level 4 spell: Summon Ice Beast
 33393 | Orc:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
 33393 | Orc:1    | Found Laetoenta's Antique Armour Shop.
 33558 | Orc:1    | Noticed Duvessa
 33558 | Orc:1    | Noticed Dowan
 33579 | Orc:1    | Killed Dowan
 33580 | Orc:1    | Killed Duvessa
 33851 | Orc:2    | Found Hyutoq's Gadget Shop.
 34102 | Orc:3    | Found Ymeazic's Gadget Shop.
 34158 | Orc:3    | Found a flagged portal.
 34183 | Orc:3    | Reached skill level 5 in Invocations
 34198 | Bailey   | Entered a bailey
 35058 | Orc:3    | Found a staircase to the Elven Halls.
 35441 | Orc:3    | Reached skill level 5 in Summonings
 36170 | Orc:4    | Entered Level 4 of the Orcish Mines
 38598 | Orc:4    | Got a bone falchion
 38599 | Orc:4    | Identified the +4 falchion of the Tomato {antimagic, Int+3} (You found it on level 4 of the Orcish Mines)
 39523 | Orc:4    | Found Prenlaag's General Store.
 39523 | Orc:4    | Found Idwi's Armour Boutique.
 39527 | Orc:4    | Found Mnitt's Magic Scroll Shop.
 39530 | Orc:4    | Found Wubraron's General Store.
 39536 | Orc:4    | Bought a scroll of identify for 24 gold pieces
 39536 | Orc:4    | Bought a scroll of acquirement for 624 gold pieces
 39596 | Orc:4    | Bought 2 scrolls of fog for 48 gold pieces
 39596 | Orc:4    | Bought a scroll of blinking for 90 gold pieces
 39596 | Orc:4    | Bought a scroll of remove curse for 36 gold pieces
 39597 | Orc:4    | Bought a scroll of remove curse for 36 gold pieces
 39608 | Orc:4    | Bought a potion of haste for 98 gold pieces
 39611 | Orc:4    | Bought a potion of haste for 98 gold pieces
 39611 | Orc:4    | Bought a scroll of blinking for 105 gold pieces
 39611 | Orc:4    | Bought a scroll of teleportation for 42 gold pieces
 40136 | Orc:4    | Reached skill level 1 in Evocations
 40474 | D:13     | Reached XP level 15. HP: 123/129 MP: 10/31
 41258 | D:13     | Reached skill level 5 in Evocations
 42397 | D:13     | Found a gate to the Vaults.
 42954 | D:14     | Noticed Kirke
 42964 | D:14     | Killed Kirke
 44776 | D:15     | Entered Level 15 of the Dungeon
 44779 | D:15     | Reached skill level 1 in Staves
 45186 | D:15     | Found Bofaif's Weapon Shoppe.
 45275 | D:15     | Found a portal to a secret trove of treasure.
 45561 | D:15     | Reached skill level 5 in Staves
 45583 | D:15     | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
 45711 | D:15     | Found a staircase to the Depths.

Melee: Unarmed           |    17 |       |       |       |       ||    17
       Dagger            |    58 |   172 |   237 |    34 |   452 ||   953
       Whip              |       |       |       |   495 |   301 ||   796
       Staff             |       |       |       |       |   379 ||   379
       Trident           |       |       |       |       |    46 ||    46
       Long sword        |       |       |       |       |    42 ||    42
 Cast: Sandblast         |    29 |    38 |    75 |     6 |       ||   148
       Stone Arrow       |       |    28 |   100 |   314 |   746 ||  1188
       Lee's Rapid Decon |       |       |       |    33 |   106 ||   139
       Petrify           |       |       |       |     5 |     6 ||    11
       Stoneskin         |       |       |       |     2 |    15 ||    17
       Apportation       |       |       |       |     2 |    20 ||    22
       Blink             |       |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
       Passwall          |       |       |       |       |     3 ||     3
       Summon Ice Beast  |       |       |       |       |     3 ||     3
 Abil: Spit Acid         |       |       |     7 |     2 |     1 ||    10
Evoke: Wand              |       |     5 |     5 |    10 |    14 ||    34
  Use: Scroll            |       |       |    20 |    18 |    16 ||    54
       Potion            |       |       |       |     2 |     5 ||     7
 Stab: Sleeping          |     2 |     1 |     3 |    10 |     7 ||    23
       Confused          |       |       |     3 |       |       ||     3
       Distracted        |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
  Eat: Chunk             |     5 |    15 |    24 |    51 |    84 ||   179
       Pizza             |       |       |     1 |     2 |       ||     3
       Beef jerky        |       |       |       |     3 |     5 ||     8
       Royal jelly       |       |       |       |       |     2 ||     2
       Fruit             |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1

TL;DR: Don't worry about hunger. Really.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 10:29

I haven't commented on this thread since the explanation was given (removing/reducing chunks - which is a different issue than the original one). I think Berder's point about this affecting lair is not correct. There are plenty of non-poisonous corpses in Lair. Even if you need to eat a bit of permafood now and then, that should be rare enough. Recall that his worst case situation only occurs when you meet sufficient poisonous stuff, with no non-poisonous stuff in between, to cast 5 or 6 bolts of fire at XL12.

His overall numbers about meat ration equivalents do not serve to illustrate the point here, when we have only changed (effectively) two branches, not the whole game.

It's only Lair branches which are affected. We just have to see how it goes there. I predict there won't be many, if any, starvation deaths. I have done spider without rPois on a conjurer before, after all. I just switched to lower level conjurations (force lance was very helpful to keep the annoying spiders away from a fragile caster). It was more annoying, but it was better than starving to death.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 11:08

B-b-b-but all those characters have way too high investment on spellcasting so they can't really be counted
I mean, with 12 spellcasting you use so much less food than with 5 it's just blatantly skewed.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 12:17

I would like to point that morgues of characters before the change are pointless because good play with abundant food contains in casting high hunger spells. It would be a mistake to train Spellcasting (to reduce hunger) or cast low level spells when you have 50+ rations in your inventory or when you have chunks after every battle.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 12:39

Sandman25 wrote:I would like to point that morgues of characters before the change are pointless because good play with abundant food contains in casting high hunger spells. It would be a mistake to train Spellcasting (to reduce hunger) or cast low level spells when you have 50+ rations in your inventory or when you have chunks after every battle.

They aren't pointless.
At least they show that you have plenty of permafood available to use on those branches that now would be chunkless.
And adding to that i think he said he had no rPois on those chars, which makes it so that those chunks never existed anyways.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 13:19

KittenInMyCerealz wrote:They aren't pointless.
At least they show that you have plenty of permafood available to use on those branches that now would be chunkless.
And adding to that i think he said he had no rPois on those chars, which makes it so that those chunks never existed anyways.

Without rPois it makes sense indeed. With rPois it does not as eating poisonous chunks saves permafood and we don't know how many of those chunks were poisonous and if there were non-poisonous chunks also. Another issue - many players would try to save food if they knew there are 2 chunkless branches to be entered soon.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 14:05

and into wrote:Okay, I took a moment to look more carefully in my morgue and found a few better examples of "blasters" without rPois who ate way less permafood than that. One of them is even a DrEE! I took out the "vanquished creatures" section of the first one in order to get under the 60000 character limit.

Your HEWz was not a high hunger character at all. You meleed 10k times, and didn't use spells above level 4.

Your DsWz had 31 int, which is very high for just completing lair8, and does not make him a medium-int caster. However, you did use bolt of fire liberally, and ended up eating 8 MRE of permafood (and 28 MRE of chunks). For comparison my DrEE ate 12 MRE of permafood and 23 MRE of chunks.

Your DrEE did cast some LRD, but mostly used stone arrow.

Did you really "look carefully in your morgue" or did you just play these now? I find it strange that you have logs for all these characters at xl14-15. One explanation for that would be that you wanted games to compare to my DrEE that I mentioned after lair8, so you played these with an eye to only using high-hunger spells when you have or expect chunks. In other words, constraining your playstyle. If you're constraining your use of high level spells, that shows the restriction in chunks does have a detrimental effect on your mage's combat effectiveness.

Anyway, food by lair8 isn't truly the question because it's about whether there's enough food for every part of the game. I only mentioned my DrEE's status after lair8 because that's when I arbitrarily stopped playing.

KittenInMyCerealz wrote:B-b-b-but all those characters have way too high investment on spellcasting so they can't really be counted
I mean, with 12 spellcasting you use so much less food than with 5 it's just blatantly skewed.

This "5 spellcasting" number you keep mentioning comes from your own imagination. The example I gave was 10 spellcasting, 22 int. With that, five casts of bolt of fire take you from the bottom of satiated to starving.
Last edited by Berder on Sunday, 19th April 2015, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 14:40

Yo, and into, how can you get so hot and bothered about what Berder's saying ("oh screw you") when you're telling him he's imagining things about a game he plays all the time (probably, in fairness, more than you)? We have two players, you and this kitten guy, neither of whom I can see any online record of (maybe it exists, but it's not clear to me how to get it if it's there) putting their judgement up against his, suggesting he's crazy and/or bad at the game. It's kind of relevant that he has a pretty successful record and if anyone knows something about the game, it might be him.

I realize the kind of flack he gets from minmay et al. makes it seem like he's just terrible or something, but it's demonstrably not true. It's one thing if minmay says something like that, which I think is kind of shitty, but at least you can look at his record and see there's something there.

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 14:54

My morgue is filled with characters I didn't finish, as I said before. I tend to play characters into the teens then either go for silver rune and walk out ("crate-crawl") or just exit the dungeon with them.

I said "screw you" to Berder because he argues in bad faith constantly and, naturally, assumes falsely that everyone else does, too. I shouldn't have said "screw you," however, I should have simply not engaged, since it isn't like it is the first time that this has happened.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 4
KittenInMyCerealz, Lasty, nago, Sar

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 15:59

I'm not convinced he's right either, but talking about how he's imagining things, bad at the game, or worse whining about being bad at the game, like whoever this other dude is, is pretty lame and not an argument.

For this message the author mps has received thanks: 2
dowan, Sandman25

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 16:10

mps wrote:I'm not convinced he's right either, but talking about how he's imagining things, bad at the game, or worse whining about being bad at the game, like whoever this other dude is, is pretty lame and not an argument.

Can i have a recap of the messages where i have said any of those things.
Berder has provided no proof at all how this affects spellcasters, even those who have low spellcasting and int. At worst they have to use some permafood to survive a lair branch, skill differently, or just use lower level spells to deal with the lesser threats.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 16:17

I won't be convinced of anything until someone posts several sequell queries in a row.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 19th April 2015, 16:19

This thread stopped being useful to anyone a long, long time ago.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 5
and into, Arrhythmia, Lokkij, mps, Sandman25
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion